SSM Greyhounds Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
congrats on your first pro game Rory.

here's a thought that is probably wishful thinking...

if Tanner Dickinson is able to make a 100% healthy return to hockey, could we see him returned as an OA? I realize typically highly skilled NHL draft picks are not returned as OA's but given that he has missed so much development time between covid and this injury, would he be better served playing another year in the OHL in a starring role?

Reactions: BehindSooNet

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
congrats on your first pro game Rory.
I believe he had a handful with them last year when there was no OHL season. Pretty sure it was his first pro playoff game though. They won again last night and are leading the best-of-5 series 2-0. Winner of this series goes to the conference finals.

As for Tanner, I suspect he has already shown more than enough for Springfield to want him in the lineup. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though!

Reactions: DWI Dale

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
good question.

If Raftis can get Lutz to report then I can't see there being room for him. According to your depth chart there's also 3x 2005's waiting in the weeds so it would depend on their development progress as well.
I wonder how much he makes playing in the DEL.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

No points for Rory in the game one 5-0 win.

It's a shame he got drafted to the NHL organisation that I despise most, but at least they are getting stomped by Nurse and company in Edmonton. Hopefully he gets traded and has a great career.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
1654195417269.png

For the first time in three years, the Soo Greyhounds will welcome prospects to the ‘Lock City’ for their Annual Development Camp weekend.

Events will take place this Friday, June 3 and Saturday, June 4.

Over the course of the camp, the thirty-four (34) attendees will take part in a variety of events ranging from fitness testing, practice sessions, video sessions and scrimmages.

The on-ice activities (OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC) are as follows, and will take place at the John Rhodes Community Centre Rink #2:

FRIDAY, JUNE 3
9 AM – Team White Goalie Session
10 AM – Team White Practice
11:30 AM – Team Red Goalie Session
1 PM – Team Red Practice
5:30 PM – SCRIMMAGE; Team Red vs Team White

SATURDAY, JUNE 4
12 PM – SCRIMMAGE; Team Red vs Team White

This year’s camp will be broken down into the two teams and features:
• 34 total players; 4 goalies, 12 defenceman and 18 forwards
• 13 players were selected in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection, 2 in the 2022 U18 Priority Selection, 10 in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection, 1 from the 2020 OHL Priority Selection and 8 are Free Agent invites

To view the roster sheet and detailed rosters CLICK HERE.

We look forward to seeing all the fans of #OHLHoundPower rinkside this weekend in welcoming these players and their families to Sault Ste. Marie.

SPECIAL HOUND POUND HOURS
If you’re still looking for your Soo Greyhounds apparel or novelty item to show your hometown pride during the off-season here is your chance.

The ‘Hound Pound’ store inside the GFL Memorial Gardens will be opened on Friday, June 3 from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM.

Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity!

Can’t make it to the rink, don’t forget you can make online purchases conveniently online anytime at www.thehoundpound.ca

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Awesome.

Some interesting notes from the roster:
- Caleb Van De Ven is the only drafted '04 attending
- All the '06s except those with US ties are coming (Virgilio, Lilja, Hunka)
- both our U18 picks this year are coming
- From our '05s that are unsigned, Scott, Ciaramitaro, Clattenburg, Fellinger, Corte, Shore, Paddington are coming
- A few free agents invited including an '04 forward and '04 goalie
- Montroy is the only notable absent, but of course he had a late season injury that he is likely still not fully recovered from.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A few notes from day 1.
Dominik Godin looks like a Greyhound player. Great skater, fast, sees the ice.
No way Caleb Labelle is 6'5". Maybe 6'3" tops.

Reactions: shot caller

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I suspect with all the prospects here this weekend, we will hear of some signings through the week.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
To me, McConnell-Barker didn't look like a 3rd rounder. he was arguably way more noticeable than our 1st rounder. Brown did make a few really good passes, but BMB was really good almost every shift. I did like what i saw from Miller. pretty happy with the 3 first picks this year.

Good was noticeable as well. wonder if he's related to former hound Brad Good who was from the Kitchener area if i recall.

Labelle was noticeable just from the fact that kids were bouncing off of him. big, solid kid. if he can show he can skate in this league, wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone like him to punish the other team.

Reactions: Bearness

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
kyle raftis, usually waits a while before announcing signings.
they could possibly be signed already or in the process of being done.
the signings eventually do happen.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Kyle Raftis hasn't really waited this long for quite some time. We have lots of spots to fill, and a short offseason to get everything done.

Recent first rounder signing dates:

Justin Cloutier - June 22, 2021 * coming off covid canceled season
Bryce McConnell-Barker - May 15, 2020
Jacob Holmes - May 21, 2019
Ryan O'Rourke - June 14, 2018 * coaching change
Hayden Fowler - May 10, 2017
Barrett Hayton - June 9, 2016
Liam Hawel - June 6, 2015 * coaching change
Anthony Salinitri - June 28, 2014

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
The 2022 CHL Import Draft will be held on July 1. It will be interesting to see what Sault Ste Marie does. I don't see us holding Lutz unless he's coming 100%.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Having the import draft before the NHL draft makes it tough. In a normal year, Raftis would have a chance to talk to the NHL team that drafted Lutz and find out their plans for him, prior to having to decide whether to release rights and draft another. Will be interesting.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
hopefully we can close the book on him if he's not interested in being here. seems like leaving a paid contract playing against men to play for a team that doesn't look like a contender is a non-starter to me.

that said, i'm sure a few of our soo posters are already planning a parade route for next year. :)

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
hopefully we can close the book on him if he's not interested in being here. seems like leaving a paid contract playing against men to play for a team that doesn't look like a contender is a non-starter to me.

that said, i'm sure a few of our soo posters are already planning a parade route for next year. :)

I have a feeling Seattle Kraken land Lutz, and Seattle can't be unhappy with the development in the Soo. I think it comes down to which team drafts him.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
like HP said, the import draft happens first. i'd rather pick a player to report than have another year with an open import slot for a player not coming.

if we waste another pick and he doesn't report it will be just another wasted opportunity to add to the team. sure it's fun to think "what if" about guys like McGroarty or Lutz but at some point we need to actually add some warm bodies to the roster, not just "what ifs".

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad