SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Been thinking about our goaltending.

Who gets the net to start game 4? As much as I think Miller is ready for the challenge, I am cognizant that changing the goalie doesn't always have the desired effect, and the coach only has so many bullets.

Here are the two scenarios:

Schenkel starts
-> Game 4 - if it's a loss (1-3), Miller becomes the starter until at least the middle of next round
-> Game 4 - if it's a win (2-2), Schenkel starts game 5
---> Game 5 - if it's a loss (2-3), Miller becomes the starter until at least the middle of next round
---> Game 5 - if it's a win (3-2), Schenkel keeps the net until at least the middle of next round

Miller starts
-> Game 4 - if it's a loss (1-3), then what?
-> Game 4 - if it's a win (2-2), then Miller starts game 5
---> Game 5 - if it's a loss (2-3), then what?
---> Game 5 - if it's a win (3-2), then Miller keeps the net until at least the middle of next round

Last edited:
Reactions: rve24 and HF92

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo

Who gets the net to start game 4? As much as I think Miller is ready for the challenge, I am cognizant that changing the goalie doesn't always have the desired effect, and the coach only has so many bullets.

Schenkel starts
-> Game 4 - if it's a loss (1-3), Miller becomes the starter until at least the middle of next round
-> Game 5 - if it's a loss (2-3), Miller becomes the starter until at least the middle of next round
-> Game 5 - if it's a win (3-2), Schenkel keeps the net until at least the middle of next round

Miller starts
-> Game 5 - if it's a loss (2-3), then what?
-> Game 5 - if it's a win (3-2), then Miller keeps the net until at least the middle of next round

i guess i'd ask a few more questions... if miller was in net last night or in game 1 does it make a difference?

we failed to score in game 1 so are we expecting miller to shutout the spirit through 3 periods and push the game into OT?

in game 2 we failed to generate much offense beyond the first period and a minute or two of the 2nd period. would having miller in net somehow increase our offense that generated 9 shots through the last 2 periods and went 0/2 on the PP?

or are we operating under the assumption that miller's mere presence in net suddenly increases the compete level of our team and we score more goals/generate more offense in both games.

i feel like blaming the goalie is a simpleton's response to being outplayed by a strong hockey team. just my .02 cents ;)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
1. There have been soft goals by Schenkel this series. I think we can all agree on that.
2. Letting in a soft goal at an inopportune time can have a deflating effect on the team. I think we can all agree on that.
3. Would the team play harder later into the game if the games were kept closer? Maybe.

We don't know for sure that Miller would do any better than Schenkel. But as the hole gets deeper we have to keep asking if we believe the team can win as is. If we don't believe so, there are only a few changes that could be made, with no guarantees of success.

But we do know that Miller's only action this playoffs was when he came in for Schenkel game #3 against Guelph, over halfway through the game down 4-1, and the team mounted an improbable comeback win 5-4 in regulation. He was a perfect 8/8 on the shots he faced.

If you are looking for ways to spark the team to play harder for longer, a goalie change has more chance of working than a lot of other potential bullets the coach has.

Miller has actually strung together some good performances over the last two months. The last game of the regular season aside, his last 8 games have all been an .889 save percentage or higher. That's really good hockey he's been playing.

Is it fair to ditch the last regular season game vs. Saginaw? Fair question. But a combination of the Greyhounds not dressing a number of their best players, and not having anything to really play for, versus Saginaw still playing for the top seed, didn't really set him up for success.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
all fair points HP, but...

But as the hole gets deeper we have to keep asking if we believe the team can win as is.

whether soo fans agreed with me or not, i've been pretty consistent in saying this team had 2nd round exit written all over it so i'm not surprised we are down so far.

i'm also not surprised some "all-in every year" fans have found a scapegoat once again now that their prognostications and bragging about depth haven't panned out. it's a lot easier than admitting you're wrong.

we can win, but we are undoubtedly the underdogs, not the favourites as some would lead you to believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

Schenkel starts
-> Game 5 - if it's a loss (2-3), Miller becomes the starter until at least the middle of next round
-> Game 5 - if it's a win (3-2), Schenkel keeps the net until at least the middle of next round

Miller starts
-> Game 5 - if it's a loss (2-3), then what?
-> Game 5 - if it's a win (3-2), then Miller keeps the net until at least the middle of next round

Charlie starts, if the game goes off the rails you put in Miller early in hope he turns that game around and possibly takes starter going into 5.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Miller absolutely must start game 4 in my opinion. We have seen enough of Schenkel to know that he isn't the goalie to lead us to success. Every other game he's not good at all. Miller might be that guy. He's played really well for a few months now. Certainly better than Schenkel.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Miller absolutely must start game 4 in my opinion. We have seen enough of Schenkel to know that he isn't the goalie to lead us to success. Every other game he's not good at all. Miller might be that guy. He's played really well for a few months now. Certainly better than Schenkel.
it would be a good time for our "superior offensive depth" to show up ;)

hounds99

Jan 19, 2024
Did Gavin Hayes actually play last night. The guy we sold the farm for? I noticed Travis a few times......but....

hounds99

Jan 19, 2024
End of the day we have had a pretty decent run this year. It's been surprising a fun. But there is definitely a depth problem here. While others are right....there is a chance we chance we can win, it's gonna be tough cause we don't have depth. And to be honest some of our guys are playing amazing because of all the ice wine they got last year as a result of playing on a sub par squad. I was a firm believer last year that a good group of guys would have been 4th string on a contender.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
he scored?

to be fair, he's been mostly invisible this round. and when he scored, that was the only time i noticed him too haha.

mignosa has been noticeably different from his mid season form. since his injury at least.

need these two to be dominant like they were mid season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hopefully Beck is back, giving Saginaw another line to worry about. Right now the second line is just not quite clicking, makes it easy for Saginaw to focus on the first line.

A few posters are already talking like the series is a foregone conclusion. I think these Hounds have another gear they can reach. I'd like to see what they bring tonight.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hopefully Beck is back, giving Saginaw another line to worry about. Right now the second line is just not quite clicking, makes it easy for Saginaw to focus on the first line.

A few posters are already talking like the series is a foregone conclusion. I think these Hounds have another gear they can reach. I'd like to see what they bring tonight.

it's definitely not a foregone conclusion. but they need to overcome the inconsistencies that have dogged us all season. you can't play 1 period against saginaw and expect to be victorious. let's hope they give the hometown crowd a show!

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

and they have to get on Lalonde quickly. get one or two right away

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
GensUpdates continues to do his thing on twitter. Not linking to it because it's not worthy of extra clicks it's so ridiculous, but,

Kaleb Lawrence was ejected for this head check tonight. Very similar to the Bryce McConnell-Barker head check major on Andrew Oke
lol, wut?

• Haha
Reactions: rve24

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024
WOW!

Just shows the class organization they have by pouting and not being made available to the media. As for the bus driver or whoever it was theade threats should have be charged and be fired by that organization, there is no place for that, especially by someone who has nothing to do with the team in a sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad