SSM Greyhounds 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am not buying this argument that players have tuned out Dean. Everything that I have heard indicates that they respect him and he has their full attention.

Yes he is passionate. Yes he is animated. Yes he yells. Yes, he has been seen with his mask pulled down.

So?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Lots of people complained about Bannister being the opposite... too calm and kind to his players...
If he's not being verbally or mentally abusive I have no problem with Dean being loud and animated. Have any of you ever watched Dale Hunter throw tantrums? Now that guy gets riled up!

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I am not buying this argument that players have tuned out Dean. Everything that I have heard indicates that they respect him and he has their full attention.

Yes he is passionate. Yes he is animated. Yes he yells. Yes, he has been seen with his mask pulled down.

So?
I have spoken with a couple of the players throughout the season. None of the conversations were specifically about Dean, but they certainly haven't had anything bad to say.

I agree that the rumours being spread are unfounded and/or fabricated. I hope it stops here. This kind of activity can be particularly harmful to amateur athletes.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I have spoken with a couple of the players throughout the season. None of the conversations were specifically about Dean, but they certainly haven't had anything bad to say.

I agree that the rumours being spread are unfounded and/or fabricated. I hope it stops here. This kind of activity can be particularly harmful to amateur athletes.
Could you imagine a player (when asked by a fan) if he likes the CURRENT coach of the team, responding any way but oh yeah he's the best!

Not saying they hate Dean or love Dean, because I have absolutely no idea. But come on with the "I asked them if they have any problems this year and they didn't say they hated the coach so that means everyone loves him". You're a better hockey mind than that.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

If someone posting “the rumor” that the team has tuned out their coach on some internet message board is particularly harmful to an athlete, that athlete is REALLY gonna struggle with the reality of life as an adult pretty soon. As far as my thoughts on Dean, having paid closer than usual attention to the bench this week… yeah, he loses it frequently and complains about EVERYthing but the players seemed to almost feed off that and take on that personality a bit. It’s how he does it that matters. If he’s fair and the kid’s are mature enough to understand his demeanor and coaching philosophy, I’d imagine (for the most part) they feel like he’s losing his mind because he’s fighting FOR them. It’s a fine line but some coaches pull it off and I got that impression but I’m not in the room….

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Could you imagine a player (when asked by a fan) if he likes the CURRENT coach of the team, responding any way but oh yeah he's the best!

Not saying they hate Dean or love Dean, because I have absolutely no idea. But come on with the "I asked them if they have any problems this year and they didn't say they hated the coach so that means everyone loves him". You're a better hockey mind than that.
You're framing this like some kind of television interview or something. I'm talking like informal dinner with the billets or chats after the game sort of thing. I'm sure you have been around players enough to know that they can be pretty candid at times, like any teenager.

When I was in high school, I remember a couple of my classmates being pretty vocal about their disdain for Marty Abrams.

Anyways, I sense that they like playing for the current coach. If that's useless information to you then that's ok.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
If someone posting “the rumor” that the team has tuned out their coach on some internet message board is particularly harmful to an athlete, that athlete is REALLY gonna struggle with the reality of life as an adult pretty soon. As far as my thoughts on Dean, having paid closer than usual attention to the bench this week… yeah, he loses it frequently and complains about EVERYthing but the players seemed to almost feed off that and take on that personality a bit. It’s how he does it that matters. If he’s fair and the kid’s are mature enough to understand his demeanor and coaching philosophy, I’d imagine (for the most part) they feel like he’s losing his mind because he’s fighting FOR them. It’s a fine line but some coaches pull it off and I got that impression but I’m not in the room….
A very rational and fair take IMO.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I wonder if it's just a coincidence that the conclusion of the OHLs inquest into this matter seems to coincide with a marked improvement in Tynan's play?

i can't imagine brushing my teeth in the morning without that having an impact on my mindset, let alone playing sport at an elite level.

Houndzfan

Dec 9, 2017
Worth noting is that the article says they found no evidence of gambling on CHL games, not that they found no evidence he was participating in illegal gambling.
I'm sure the OHL is only worried about their own back yard and not focused on what he's doing over the fence. As long as he's not wagering on his games, they probably don't care.
The way he replied via social seemed pretty genuine...but where there is smoke, there is fire.
At a quick glance those original posters via Twitter have been quiet on tthe matter.
We'll probably never know the full story.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I wonder if it's just a coincidence that the conclusion of the OHLs inquest into this matter seems to coincide with a marked improvement in Tynan's play?
To be fair, he’s only had 1 game over .900 save % in his last 4 with the other 3 being under. And that lone game came against last place Saginaw, the team who scores the fewest goals in the Western Conference (2nd fewest in the entire OHL, only ahead of Ottawa)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
To be fair, he’s only had 1 game over .900 save % in his last 4 with the other 3 being under. And that lone game came against last place Saginaw, the team who scores the fewest goals in the Western Conference (2nd fewest in the entire OHL, only ahead of Ottawa)

there's definitely something to be said about sample size. but we can hope!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hoping Tynan can find a way to keep up his recent level of engagement. A hot goalie might be just what the doctor ordered.
That never hurts in this game for sure. Maybe the side story resolved at a league level has helped?
Didn't here near as much post investigation as pre investigation.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I'm sure the OHL is only worried about their own back yard and not focused on what he's doing over the fence. As long as he's not wagering on his games, they probably don't care.
The way he replied via social seemed pretty genuine...but where there is smoke, there is fire.
At a quick glance those original posters via Twitter have been quiet on tthe matter.
We'll probably never know the full story.

Oh, I'm sure they care, if there was anything substantiated about placing wagers via their investigation it would not be swept under for the purposes of damage control. They would certainly care regardless if he wasn't betting on his own games, any gambling activity involving OHL games would be strictly verboten. This would have a broader scope then just "internal" matters such as suspensions and the like. If the matter was reported to the police, they could possibly be or have been doing their own investigation. I'm guessing if the league has announced this then there isn't anything to indicate any merit in the allegations.

It is a big issue, bigger then the league can just cover up and sweep under a dank moldy rug in Branch's office closet. I agree though, we will never know the full story, it would take charges and court appearances to put this in the public forum, which seems extremely unlikely at this point.

Hopefully he can put this setback behind him, guy has had a rough go of it already!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Craigslist

McConnell-Barker 60
Kudryavtsev 90

Also
McGroarty 25
Lutz 91

TSN: Craig's List: Players to watch at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad