SSM Greyhounds 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93MemCup

Apr 10, 2014
Taking stock after this weekend’s poor efforts also has me realistic about the likelihood of us advancing past a second round as lukewarm at best . Thinking that we are graduating Kerins,Kartye, O’Rourke, Calisti, Thompson , MacKay is sobering ! That 1/3 of our lineup we are turning over. Sure, it creates lots of opportunities for draft picks waiting in the wings, but one might think we will be absorbing some long nights next season. I feel by not finding a quality goaltender we have squandered the talents of our graduating class

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Totally agree with the above post!
Tucker has been very inconsistent, very weak on the glove side and not all his teammates get along with him.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Losing to Saginaw at this point in the season is very disappointing. Playing with little emotion is not going to get this team far in the playoffs. Will be lucky to make it pass round 1.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
If you want a different approach, you need to get rid of Lukenda. He seems quite pleased with the successful winning record. Raftis is just executing the plan.
I don't want to get rid of Lukenda or Raftis. I just want a cup and I'm realistic about what that takes...

...a deep squad of skaters with a strong vet core of neckbeards, a few rookies punching above their weight class, goaltending that can steal a game once in a while and some puck luck.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
raftis is one of the best general managers in the league. Look at his teams overall record from
the time he took over as general manager. It speaks for itself.

Reactions: DWI Dale

NorthernLights

Mar 30, 2022
Ontario
No need to target the higher-ups such as Lukenda and Raftis. This club is extremely competitive more often than not year-in and year-out. There may be a little confidence issue in the locker room, but that can sort itself out in the final stages of the regular season.

Attached is a tracker I've been maintaining throughout the year. Highlighted (red box) are the team's stats for March.

Attachments

• Hounds_March.png
    Hounds_March.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 5

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
No need to target the higher-ups such as Lukenda and Raftis. This club is extremely competitive more often than not year-in and year-out. There may be a little confidence issue in the locker room, but that can sort itself out in the final stages of the regular season.

Attached is a tracker I've been maintaining throughout the year. Highlighted (red box) are the team's stats for March.
thanks for sharing NL.

Reactions: NorthernLights

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
raftis is one of the best general managers in the league. Look at his teams overall record from
the time he took over as general manager. It speaks for itself.

Raftis is a good general manager in that he has drafted quality skaters outside of the early rounds. I don't think anybody disputes that.

However it is not unfair to point out that his first few years were players drafted by Kyle Dubas.

It's not unfair to point out that he has yet to draft a bonafide starting goaltender since he got here.

And it's not unfair to point out that he has missed opportunities to restock our cupboards in years where we were not a favourite to win a cup.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The question is, did Lukenda and Raftis want to restock?

It seems that Lukenda prefers playoff revenue every year to chasing a cup every 2 or 3 years. And if that's the case then this is the "good not great" mentality I disagree with. And in support of my argument all I need to do is point out the results in 2018-2019, and this year so far.

Hamilton drafts well, but also knew they had to recoup picks after their championship in 2018. This allowed them to trade for the best player available this year at the trade deadline (McTavish) just like they did in 2018 with Robert Thomas. That's what championship winning teams do.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis doesn't get any credit for Frost, Hayton, Villalta, Sandin, Sambrook, N. Carroll or bringing over Howdeshell?

BS. He built that team.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Raftis doesn't get any credit for Frost, Hayton, Villalta, Sandin, Sambrook, N. Carroll or bringing over Howdeshell?

BS. He built that team.
call "BS" all you like lol. i give him credit for what he's done, but not the 19 year old core that he inherited.

we are now into the Raftis era - win or lose this is 100% his team now, but it wasn't in 2018.

Last edited:

HoundFan

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
I do agree that the Hounds model has changed in the past few years. Appears they want to be a good team every year as opposed to let’s make a run (great team) then build again for another run 4 years down the road. The refusal to trade away top end players at the deadline supports my thoughts.

As a business model for making revenue it’s certainly the safer way to go. No peaks and valley’s in revenue generation, only consist revenues every year. Do owners own teams to make money consistently, you bet they do. What business owner or entrepreneur doesn’t? No one likes to loose cash in lean/poor seasons. Just food for thought.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I do agree that the Hounds model has changed in the past few years. Appears they want to be a good team every year as opposed to let’s make a run (great team) then build again for another run 4 years down the road. The refusal to trade away top end players at the deadline supports my thoughts.

As a business model for making revenue it’s certainly the safer way to go. No peaks and valley’s in revenue generation, only consist revenues every year. Do owners own teams to make money consistently, you bet they do. What business owner or entrepreneur doesn’t? No one likes to loose cash in lean/poor seasons. Just food for thought.

I can appreciate the financial reasoning, but at some point in the near future I suspect I won't be the only one asking if ownership and management is doing all they can to deliver a championship to its loyal fanbase. given the turnover we will face this year, I suspect this may happen as soon as next season.

It's been 30 years of lean times with the exception of a few "blips" like 2018, 2015, and 2008. so it's not unreasonable to be dissatisfied with the status quo of relying heavily on 5 or 6 players to carry the team then bowing out in the early rounds.

HoundFan

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
I can appreciate the financial reasoning, but at some point in the near future I suspect I won't be the only one asking if ownership and management is doing all they can to deliver a championship to its loyal fanbase. given the turnover we will face this year, I suspect this may happen as soon as next season.

It's been 30 years of lean times with the exception of a few "blips" like 2018, 2015, and 2008. so it's not unreasonable to be dissatisfied with the status quo of relying heavily on 5 or 6 players to carry the team then bowing out in the early rounds.
I certainly agree with you. I don’t think the big moves (trades both in and out) are being made. Minor adjustments here and there To stay competitive. Reference the Boudreau/Holmes trade of this year. In my opinion no need for it. Thompson is a hell of a Dman, we just don’t have the horses to make a long run. Would be better to keep Boudreau/Holmes for next year. Holmes was very underrated when here, again in my opinion. Boudreau needed more opportunity to showcase his worth. Loved his on ice style and work habits. Thompson alone won’t get us to the promise land.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Disagree with the Boudreau and Holmes take. That was a way to add this year, while subtracting in a non contending year (next year). How can you be critical of that, yet in the same breath criticize for not selling in down years?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t think the gain made this season from Thompson minus Boudreau + Holmes was worth giving up next two seasons of those two and a ‘22-2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad