SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
From my standpoint, I would prefer drafting a player that reports this year, but who knows what private conversations have been had, that player might be Fantilli regardless of what is out there in the public space.

If someone takes him early it’s fair to assume that team knows something that makes them feel like he is only a year away from reporting. Not that it’s not legal by any means but they will have something in their pocket that makes them believe .....

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If someone takes him early it’s fair to assume that team knows something that makes them feel like he is only a year away from reporting. Not that it’s not legal by any means but they will have something in their pocket that makes them believe .....

I could see Niagara taking him because its pretty clear that playing with his brother is a really big factor to him and Niagara owns his brothers rights. That's the only way you're going to get him is if you can still have him and his brother together imo. So if a non-Niagara team takes him they're going to need to trade for Luca too I think

Reactions: Buttsy and the dog

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Those teams might be more retooling than adding IMO.
I kind of agree on this one. London as an example graduates a ton of high end talent and although there is some skill behind them it’s “thin” I would say. In London I think we maybe are due for a bit of an “off year” maybe middle of the West while we groom this year and last year’s rookies. BUT if the stars align and Mark sees an opportunity (similar to this season) I think we all know he will jump at it.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So then do you agree it would make no sense to take Fantilli in a year where he isn't coming and you can't trade him?

The door is still open for him to change his mind and play in the OHL, but I generally agree with your assessment. Kyle Raftis has spoken to him, for what it's worth.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I kind of agree on this one. London as an example graduates a ton of high end talent and although there is some skill behind them it’s “thin” I would say. In London I think we maybe are due for a bit of an “off year” maybe middle of the West while we groom this year and last year’s rookies. BUT if the stars align and Mark sees an opportunity (similar to this season) I think we all know he will jump at it.

But it's London so they could just get Vlasic and Weight to commit and suddenly they're a top team again haha

Reactions: Buttsy

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It will have been 4 years since we drafted hometown boy MacKay. With some promising young local players on the draft board, and with the Greyhounds having I believe midround picks 79, 84, 91, I wonder if a player like Mauro or Toms might get scooped up by the local team if they are still on the board then?

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
It will have been 4 years since we drafted hometown boy MacKay. With some promising young local players on the draft board, and with the Greyhounds having I believe midround picks 79, 84, 91, I wonder if a player like Mauro or Toms might get scooped up by the local team if they are still on the board then?

those 2 along with chitaroni would be great picks in that area.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I just watched the Edmonton/Philadelphia game on Sportsnet from 1981 which featured Gretzky's 5 goal performance, giving him 50 goals in 39 games. Any Soo fans on this board old enough to have seen Gretzky play with the Hounds? If so, tell me a story, tell us a good story. I've got time...
:popcorn:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I just watched the Edmonton/Philadelphia game on Sportsnet from 1981 which featured Gretzky's 5 goal performance, giving him 50 goals in 39 games. Any Soo fans on this board old enough to have seen Gretzky play with the Hounds? If so, tell me a story, tell us a good story. I've got time...
:popcorn:

There are a lot of people here that have seen him play. A friend of mine was his billet; he's good some good stories. I grew up watching Joe Thornton and Jeff Carter, so I'm a little too young.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
There are a lot of people here that have seen him play. A friend of mine was his billet; he's good some good stories. I grew up watching Joe Thornton and Jeff Carter, so I'm a little too young.
I'd love to hear those stories. I remember Gretzky from his first season with the Oilers, so I watched his entire NHL career and consider him to be the greatest of all time. Imagine owning a game worn Gretzky jersey with the Soo!

Reactions: Houndzfan

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I had season tickets since 1972. He had a sense for the game like nobody before him or since. He was the first player ever to cross the opposing blue line and circle in the quiet area at the top of the circle and buy time to make passes like no other player. He was the first player to set up behind the opponents net, defenders had no idea what to do to defend him. He did all this as a 16 year old, battled Bobby Smith for the scoring title until the end of the season.
Of note, when we played Ottawa at the end of the season there was a shootout between periods with those two players. It was amazing! And we met in the playoffs too! Lost in 8 games at home in an 8 point series. It was done of the best hockey ever.
I'd love to hear those stories. I remember Gretzky from his first season with the Oilers, so I watched his entire NHL career and consider him to be the greatest of all time. Imagine owning a game worn Gretzky jersey with the Soo!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I had season tickets since 1972. He had a sense for the game like nobody before him or since. He was the first player ever to cross the opposing blue line and circle in the quiet area at the top of the circle and buy time to make passes like no other player. He was the first player to set up behind the opponents net, defenders had no idea what to do to defend him. He did all this as a 16 year old, battled Bobby Smith for the scoring title until the end of the season.
Of note, when we played Ottawa at the end of the season there was a shootout between periods with those two players. It was amazing! And we met in the playoffs too! Lost in 8 games at home in an 8 point series. It was done of the best hockey ever.
Awesome. Thx for sharing. A creative, innovative talent beginning at such a young age. His size was never an issue.

Reactions: Birddog

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018

I’ve always liked this story. Brian Gualazzi was a hometown Soo boy and is now a prominent figure in the community. He was also a heck of a player.

Reactions: nelli27

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
i dont think we take Kocha Delic, there are better players available... we need a C and Kocha Wont be a C

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Why do we need a C? We aren't losing one, and Kartye is quite serviceable there.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We have Pytlik, Kerins, Johnston, Watson Mufarreh, McLean. We can use Kartye, Carroll, and Dickinson in the event of injury. We are not in dire need of a center.

At 4th overall you draft BPA. We can have valuable discussions about why you might not think Delic is the BPA, but to draft for a perceived positional need? I don't see it. In fact, if Nelson is available at 4, we take him.

The draft is 15 rounds. Pick a center with a later pick.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I agree that we would probably take Nelson if he were available, even if he isn't a great fit. He's just too good of a player. I hope that Fantilli goes in the top 3 so that perhaps one of Nelson or Fimis drops to us.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
i wouldn't take Delic that high either...he was named best player in major bantam but that was last year. I'd definitely take him in the top 10 but not top 4. I'd take Ludwinski if he's there. if he's gone, then goyette or wakely. would be nice if namestnikov would report if we take him.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
We have Pytlik, Kerins, Johnston, Watson, McLean. We can use Kartye, Carroll in the event of injury. We are not in dire need of a center.

At 4th overall you draft BPA. We can have valuable discussions about why you might not think Delic is the BPA, but to draft for a perceived positional need? I don't see it. In fact, if Nelson is available at 4, we take him.

The draft is 15 rounds. Pick a center with a later pick.

waston is a Winger but regardless i don't think DELIC is the BPA at 4

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
My bad, meant Mufarreh was a C. Forgot about Dickinson too.

Delic very well may not be the BPA at 4. It seems he is at least top 8, and his game fits the Greyhound system as well as any other top 8 player. But unfortunately I don't get to watch these players, so I am mostly throwing darts blindfolded. Careful you don't get too close.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
My bad, meant Mufarreh was a C. Forgot about Dickinson too.

Delic very well may not be the BPA at 4. It seems he is at least top 8, and his game fits the Greyhound system as well as any other top 8 player. But unfortunately I don't get to watch these players, so I am mostly throwing darts blindfolded. Careful you don't get too close.
Why wouldn't you select what you think is BPA. Often in younger players that is a center when you are considering forwards. Cant really see the Hounds selecting a defenceman first three years straight unless he is undoubtedly the BPA.

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad