Square peg in a round hole

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Does it? I liken it to Kramer telling George and Jerry he is dominating his karate class, only for them to find out the rest of the class is 8 year olds.
Well when they got away from his system like I said, and used their speed and skill, then why not see what this does in a prolonged amount of time. Like I said this garbage now is not working.

Reactions: IPS and Sawchuk30

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I don't know why they dump the puck in. I'm sure the opposition would accommodate them and allow entry into the zone with possession to set up a play.

I don't know why they don't use short passes in the neutral zone and across the blueline. It's not like preventing/intercepting those passes is textbook neutral zone defensive tactics.

The best judgment of the effectiveness of a team's style is when the other team is leading by multiple goals. It's not like teams passively defend with larger leads.
And I don’t know why this garbage system is used over and over and over when it’s obvious it’s not working. That make sense to you? It don’t to me.

Reactions: IPS and Sawchuk30

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know why they don't use short passes in the neutral zone and across the blueline. It's not like preventing/intercepting those passes is textbook neutral zone defensive tactics.

It's a higher risk way of transitioning the puck.

The downside to the controlled zone entries is neutral zone attackers from the opposing team can catch you with a poke check and all of a sudden the puck is going the other way and your forwards are in bad positioning. Babcock absolutely hates these risks because he's a defense-first coach, he much prefers the safer option of stretch pass into dump and chase type of transition because it is much lower risk.

Reactions: ToMaLe

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Where did I ever say this teams strengths will ever win anything in the playoffs? What I am saying is, the only chance you have with the way this team is built, is play to their strengths. Trying to make this team play a system they are not built for is pure foolishness. Like I said before get a coach in line with the team or get a team in line with the coach. Obvious as hell this garbage is not working.
You are correct sir, like the title says, it’s like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. It will just not work.

Reactions: IPS

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

The downside to the controlled zone entries is neutral zone attackers from the opposing team can catch you with a poke check and all of a sudden the puck is going the other way and your forwards are in bad positioning. Babcock absolutely hates these risks because he's a defense-first coach, he much prefers the safer option of stretch pass into dump and chase type of transition because it is much lower risk.

I agree with the above 100%. I thought my sarcasm was obvious.

P.S. <not sarcasm> I like the stretch pass. It's safe. At worst, it's an icing. At best, it can produce an odd man rush for you.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And I have seen this garbage all too often, why is playing to our strengths, pond hockey? You got the high tempo right, that is part of their strengths. Did you see the third period against the Hawks? Went away from stretch passes, dump and chase to up tempo, short passes to enter the zone with using their speed to beat defenders, not using their speed to chase down a puck from shoot ins that their defenders will get to first way more times then not. Works ok for heavy team, does it look like we have a heavy team to you? That is what I’m looking for ok bud!

Lot of anger for an honest question. :huh:
Enjoy the game tonight

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
This team is a defensive disaster. I actually understand what Babcock is trying to do by limiting the chances because if they don't then they're finished. The Leafs have no chance to do anything of substance unless they limit their goals against.

I have a question. At what point does the Babcock blaming get old & the fan base starts looking at the actual team? What if this is just the way this team plays & they are just a bunch of slackers? Do you really want to throw away another season on the concept it was all coaching? A new coach is going to come in & magically give this team a consistent work ethic?

Another point I'd like to make is that the GM seems to be getting away easy here. Who acquired Cody Ceci, Michael Hutchinson & Tyson Barrie? Those are all Kyle Dubas moves & all of them are garbage. Kyle Dubas has failed to improve this team's weak areas & doesn't have a read on what needs to be done with this team.
you know we looked the exact same with the Lou team right?
Fred/McBackup bailed out our asses

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Agreed. He doesnt think he has the players that can be responsible enough in this type of system, and he may be right. This is where Dubas needs to wake up and replace him now. Im not sure what they are waiting for, Dubas must be afraid. I neither like or dislike Babcock, but the difference in philosophy needs to be addressed.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Agreed. He doesnt think he has the players that can be responsible enough in this type of system, and he may be right. This is where Dubas needs to wake up and replace him now. Im not sure what they are waiting for, Dubas must be afraid. I neither like or dislike Babcock, but the difference in philosophy needs to be addressed.

I think, out of respect (and because there's been significant injuries), they give him until close to xmas to turn things around. Not that I agree with it

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Using the 3rd period of a game against a garbage team who took their foot off the gas isnt the ideal case.

Well there is that. Also doesn't address what happens when they don't have the puck......but no need to worry about that or teams simply clogging up the neutral zone to slow them down.

Reactions: GoonieFace

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
And I have seen this garbage all too often, why is playing to our strengths, pond hockey? You got the high tempo right, that is part of their strengths. Did you see the third period against the Hawks? Went away from stretch passes, dump and chase to up tempo, short passes to enter the zone with using their speed to beat defenders, not using their speed to chase down a puck from shoot ins that their defenders will get to first way more times then not. Works ok for heavy team, does it look like we have a heavy team to you? That is what I’m looking for ok bud!
with Babcock as their coach the Leafs have played the least "heavy" hockey I have ever seen from an NHL hockey team so criticizing him for trying to play too heavy seems very strange to me. When they dump and chase it is not because Babcock is not playing to their strengths it is because the other team forced them to.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't know why they dump the puck in. I'm sure the opposition would accommodate them and allow entry into the zone with possession to set up a play.

The best judgment of the effectiveness of a team's style is when the other team is leading by multiple goals. It's not like teams passively defend with larger leads.
:thumbu::clap:

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
with Babcock as their coach the Leafs have played the least "heavy" hockey I have ever seen from an NHL hockey team so criticizing him for trying to play too heavy seems very strange to me. When they dump and chase it is not because Babcock is not playing to their strengths it is because the other team forced them to.

The other teams, all of them, every single one for 4 years have forced us to dump and chase? Lmfao!

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
When I read this thread title I thought it was about Dubas. “Square peg, round hole” describes Dubas as a GM. A guy who should be a waiter, pretending to be a GM.

Are you actually Dave Poulin? It's getting pretty obvious at this point. You got fired bud. Get over it.

Reactions: freshwind

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008

if that was true the Leafs top lines would not be constantly trying to control the puck across the blueline, which they have done since Babcock has been coach. Either that or Babcock doesn't control his tea at all, which should at least put to rest this idea that he is too controlling. Not that this idea made much sense in the first place considering his teams are some of the most open-ice, extra-pass, high-risk freewheeling Leafs teams ever.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
You think the opposing team is going to play pass defence against a team with Barry Sanders on it? Teams will force the opposition to what they feel is their weakness.
If you honestly think the Leafs were forced to play dump and chase, then once again Babcock is badly getting out coached. Plain and simple. It’s like his obsessive line matching. We have the horses for them to worry about who we have on the ice not the other way around. No wonder our home record is so brutal.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You think the opposing team is going to play pass defence against a team with Barry Sanders on it? Teams will force the opposition to what they feel is their weakness.

You're putting up a good argument, but I don't think you fully realize how simply the Leafs could force their will on the opposition if only Babcock would allow them to. Simple tactics like left wing locks, or stacking the blue line would have no chance against such a determined group like the current Leafs. Their ability to fight through adversity is unmatched in all of hockey.

Reactions: GoonieFace

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
The Gods must have been listening;
An enlightening article on hockey writers.com called “Maple Leafs offence, not defence, causing concern”, which then gets into the “Dave Hakstol” effect. How he seems to have brought the problems with the Flyers offence last 3 years to the Leafs now (and with pretty good graphs, evidence). A must read! And, causing me some anger,,if it’s true, because it’s so obvious and why hasn’t it been caught?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-11-13_14-50-36.jpeg

says it all after the first 4 years of him on the job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad