Prospect Info: Springfield Falcons Discussion - Coyotes AHL affiliate

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Our new affiliate has some interesting promos!

dHRvCo1.jpg

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's very possible.... Darcy Regier is going to want his own guys in charge in Springfield and Ron Rolston is that guy. Regier hired Rolston to be head coach in Rochester, later the Buffalo Sabres.

I hope I'm wrong as Rolston by all accounts is fairly awful as a coach. Sabre fans were not impressed

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I hope I'm wrong as Rolston by all accounts is fairly awful as a coach. Sabre fans were not impressed

Yeah, really. If they hire him to coach (he's already working as one of our scouts), it'll just be yet another example of lazy cronyism by Maloney and friends.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if there's any chance to 'demote' Playfair with the opportunity to run his own bench. He's been an AHL head coach in the past.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, really. If they hire him to coach (he's already working as one of our scouts), it'll just be yet another example of lazy cronyism by Maloney and friends.

I don't if it's cronyism. They hire people they've worked with before. It's a trust and confidence thing.

Rolston did poorly as an NHL head coach of a terrible NHL team. This doesn't mean he can't be a good AHL coach for a good AHL team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I hope I'm wrong as Rolston by all accounts is fairly awful as a coach.

Not at the minor or college level.

• Guided the Amerks to a 36-26-10-4 record and a berth in the Calder Cup Playoffs in 2011-12, his first season behind the Rochester bench
  • A 2011 Bob Johnson Award recipient, which recognizes excellence in international competition during a season
  • A three-time gold-medal winner at the International Ice Hockey Federation U-18 World Championships in 2005, 2009 and most recently in 2011
  • During the 2010-11 season, he led Team USA to titles in the 2011 Five Nations Tournament and in the 2010 Four Nations Cup
  • Led the U.S. National Under-17 team to the 2009-10 campaign World Hockey Challenge title, its first since 2002
  • In 2008-09, led the U.S. National Under-18 Team to first-place finishes at both the 2008 Men’s Under-18 Four Nations Cup in Lake Placid, N.Y., and 2009 Under-18 Five Nations Tournament in Sweden
  • Also served as HC coach for the U.S. National Junior Team on two occasions, helping Team USA to a bronze medal at the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship in Sweden
  • Led Team USA to a silver medal at the 2007 IIHF U-18 tournament
  • Won NCAA National Championships in 1992 and 1994 with Lake Superior State University, a team he also guided to three straight appearances in the NCAA National Championship game and four CCHA tournament titles in his five-year stint
  • Perhaps the most decorated coach in NTDP history, Rolston-led teams have never missed the championship game in either of the major NTDP tournaments, the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship. In the 4 IIHF U-18 Championships that he his teams have competed in, they have brought home 3 golds and a silver medal.[6]

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He had a good resume before being promoted to Buffalo.

He wasn't terrible down in Rochester. I'd say run of the mill. His teams made the playoffs, for whatever that's worth.

Once he got to Buffalo, he was cover-your-eyes bad.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He had a good resume before being promoted to Buffalo.

He wasn't terrible down in Rochester. I'd say run of the mill. His teams made the playoffs, for whatever that's worth.

Once he got to Buffalo, he was cover-your-eyes bad.

I stand corrected. Don't judge him solely on his time in Buffalo.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I don't if it's cronyism. They hire people they've worked with before. It's a trust and confidence thing.

Rolston did poorly as an NHL head coach of a terrible NHL team. This doesn't mean he can't be a good AHL coach for a good AHL team.

I asked the posters on HF Sabres about Rolston, and pretty much every single one of them said he was very mediocre during his time with the Amerks. The thing that irks me, is why do we have to hire a guy, who didn't do that great of a job in literally the exact role we want to put him in, because Regier "trusts" him (i.e., it's his friend).

Why not attempt (I'm not even saying succeed, just try) to hire a candidate, who has a reputation for developing young players well. If Maloney decides to delay this inevitable rebuild even more by trading high picks for veterans this offseason, then we can't afford to have a coach come in and do a so-so job in the AHL with developing our young prospects, when absolutely need almost all of them to live up to their potential.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Let's remember that Rolston hasn't gotten the job yet.

I wonder if looking at someone like Dallas Eakins makes sense. His style seems more in line with the AHL, and he's had tremendous coaching success at that level previously. Besides, if he wants to coach in the NHL again, he'll need to accept a 'lesser' assignment to rebuild his reputation after that mess in Edmonton -- either Eakins accepts an AHL head role or an NHL assistant.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I really like the idea of letting Playfair down easy, coach out kids who will be coming up, and if he excels give him another shot.

I like Playfair's drive and intensity. I don't like his seemingly inability to adapt. Maybe he is worried about losing his gig. Maybe it's he doesn't know how to utilize young players in a way that will appease Tippet. Maybe he needs to get his mojo back by being the head coach somewhere. Either way I want him out. I also don't think we can land a Eakins type, and I really don't want an Edwards repeat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I asked the posters on HF Sabres about Rolston, and pretty much every single one of them said he was very mediocre during his time with the Amerks. The thing that irks me, is why do we have to hire a guy, who didn't do that great of a job in literally the exact role we want to put him in, because Regier "trusts" him (i.e., it's his friend).

Why not attempt (I'm not even saying succeed, just try) to hire a candidate, who has a reputation for developing young players well. If Maloney decides to delay this inevitable rebuild even more by trading high picks for veterans this offseason, then we can't afford to have a coach come in and do a so-so job in the AHL with developing our young prospects, when absolutely need almost all of them to live up to their potential.

Your putting the cart before the horse.:)

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ok, I need a picture of the gardening gloves, and a video of his drinking habit during interviews. This guy sounds like pure gold.

Rolston8.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just don't care for his wearing gardening gloves at practices.

He does wear gardening gloves during practice. Not a normal man.

Ok, I need a picture of the gardening gloves, and a video of his drinking habit during interviews. This guy sounds like pure gold.

Rolston8.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:You guys are mean. Love to see you guys in front of a camera, answering dumb questions. You guys would be so nervous you would probably start scratching your -----.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad