Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
Final score: Birmingham 28 - New Jersey 24

Birmingham late rally seals the deal for hometown club

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not a bad inaugural game. Better than NFL preseason games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not a bad inaugural game. Better than NFL preseason games.
I caught a few minutes of the game in the third quarter when it was 14-7 NJ. There was a stretch of on a drive where NJ missed a chip shot FG attempt while NJ was driving where there was no commentary. Was that just a technical glitch or did they want to give viewers a glimpse into the communication from the coaches to the players because that's all I heard.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I caught a few minutes of the game in the third quarter when it was 14-7 NJ. There was a stretch of on a drive where NJ missed a chip shot FG attempt while NJ was driving where there was no commentary. Was that just a technical glitch or did they want to give viewers a glimpse into the communication from the coaches to the players because that's all I heard.
Could be a glitch. This is Fox production, I would’ve been surprised if they were incompetent.

Sep 19, 2008
It wasn't a glitch. They wanted you to hear the coaches commentary and playcalls throughout that drive. The commentators chimed in a bit but just let the coaches talk that drive.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Interesting gameplay so far, I thought.

I think the most useful purpose for this league will be testing new camera angles and rules. I guess some players could get some exposure to make the big league, but I think the biggest impact will be in trying new things to incorporate into the NFL.

Sep 19, 2008
1650709915733.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Finding players is the hardest part. If they can get guys off Practice Squads and UDFA, it would make more sense for them. But, they need QBs. Can they secure what would be 3rd string guys from NFL teams who did something in college, but haven't made enough roads at the NFL to be the backup. And would NFL teams release a Kyle Trask, Jacob Eason, Ian Book if the XFL were starting up this season as an example.
Book would behind Winston, Hill (though they said they would try him at TE)
Eason would be behind Lock and Smith
Trask would Brady and Gabbert.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The issue is that if you send those kinds of players to the XFL, they're missing OTA's, and that's a big deal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad