Spring Football Leagues (USFL and XFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
AAF not learn it takes more than 1 year to organize a league? I get they want to beat McMahon to the punch but this is only going to end poorly.
I think they’ve been preparing quietly behind the scenes for years. I don’t think they just came up with the idea to form a League yesterday.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
AAF held a "QB draft" last night and released their uniforms.

QB draft:

ROUND 1:
  1. San Diego Fleet (Protect): Josh Johnson, San Diego
  2. Atlanta Legends (Protect): Aaron Murray, Georgia
  3. Memphis Express (Protect): Troy Cook, University Tennessee at Martin
  4. San Antonio Commanders (Protect): Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M
  5. Birmingham Iron (Pick): Luis Perez, Texas A&M-Commerce
  6. Arizona Hotshots (Pick): Trevor Knight, Texas A&M
  7. Orlando Apollos (Pick): Garrett Gilbert, Southern Methodist
  8. Salt Lake Stallions (Pick): Josh Woodrum, Liberty
ROUND 2:
  1. San Diego Fleet: Mike Bercovici, Arizona State
  2. Birmingham Iron: Blake Sims, Alabama
  3. Arizona Hotshots: John Wolford, Wake Forest
  4. Orlando Apollos: Stephen Morris, Miami
  5. Atlanta Legends: Matt Simms, Tennessee
  6. Salt Lake Stallions: B.J. Daniels, South Florida
  7. Memphis Express: Christian Hackenberg, Penn State
  8. San Antonio Commanders: Marquise Williams, North Carolina
ROUND 3:
  1. San Antonio Commanders: Logan Woodside, Toledo
  2. Memphis Express: Brandon Silvers, Troy
  3. Salt Lake Stallions: Austin Allen, Arkansas
  4. Atlanta Legends: Peter Pujals, Holy Cross
  5. Orlando Apollos: Austin Appleby, Purdue
  6. Arizona Hotshots: Quinn McQueary, Montana Tech
  7. Birmingham Iron: Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin
  8. San Diego Fleet: Philip Nelson, East Carolina
ROUND 4:
  1. San Antonio Commanders: Dalton Sturm, Texas-San Antonio
  2. Memphis Express: Zach Mettenberger, LSU
  3. Salt Lake Stallions: Matt Linehan, Idaho
  4. Atlanta Legends: Justin Holman, Central Florida
  5. Orlando Apollos: Kevin Anderson, Fordham
  6. Arizona Hotshots: Jack Heneghan, Dartmouth
  7. Birmingham Iron: Aleksander (“Alek”) Torgersen, Penn
  8. San Diego Fleet: Alex Ross, Coastal Carolina
Source: Results: The Alliance of American Football Inaugural Quarterback Draft - Alliance of American Football

Uniforms and helmets:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Two of the San Diego picks at QB were with the Blue Bombers last year. Alex Ross started the year as the Bombers #3 QB after losing the battle for the backup role in camp to a rookie straight out of college. He got injured holding a FG in the first game missing 6 games and fell to #4 and was released later on in the year. Philip Nelson was also in camp for the Bombers last year but quickly fell to the bottom of the roster and released.

Two other picks are ex-Rough Riders in BJ Daniels and Marquise Williams. Both were released out of camp by the Riders last year. Williams was their #3 last year.

Just a note neither the Bombers nor Riders are exactly QB factories in the CFL.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like the first XFL team will be in St. Louis, might be announced already or by tomorrow? Rest of the teams should be next week.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sounds like the first XFL team will be in St. Louis, might be announced already or by tomorrow? Rest of the teams should be next week.

It was reported here a couple days ago. Official announcement is supposed to be Dec. 5th. Read D.C. was next.

I can’t imagine this actually succeeds....but if I was going to attempt to make another football league, tough to find a better starting point than St. Louis (maybe San Diego). Strong football market that hates the NFL.

Still think this is a longshot at best.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
If I had to guess, it'll be NY/NJ, Chicago, DC, St. Louis for the East and Seattle, Houston, LA, and San Francisco for the West.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was reported here a couple days ago. Official announcement is supposed to be Dec. 5th. Read D.C. was next.

I can’t imagine this actually succeeds....but if I was going to attempt to make another football league, tough to find a better starting point than St. Louis (maybe San Diego). Strong football market that hates the NFL.

Still think this is a longshot at best.

I question how much of the sport we'll actually recognize. Vince is talking about keeping games at 2 hours

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If I had to guess, it'll be NY/NJ, Chicago, DC, St. Louis for the East and Seattle, Houston, LA, and San Francisco for the West.

There really is no point in putting a team in Chicago

Chicago didn't embrace or support the Fire in 70's, the Winds in 70's , Blitz in 80's or the Enforcers in 00's

They aren't going to embrace a reborn Enforcers or whatever team will be called in XFL 2.0

Sep 19, 2008
Excited to see XFL in Washington DC. They will play at Audi Field where DC United plays.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
There really is no point in putting a team in Chicago

Chicago didn't embrace or support the Fire in 70's, the Winds in 70's , Blitz in 80's or the Enforcers in 00's

They aren't going to embrace a reborn Enforcers or whatever team will be called in XFL 2.0

I have no problems with leaving Chicago out. The league's desire for large markets was the only reason I thought they'd go there

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I just really have a hard time seeing how the AAFL keeps afloat with those size of contracts with games already being advertised as having minimal ad time on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad