Rumor: Spott to be promoted, DJ Smith will be Marlies coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If I were Spott, it may be more attractive to the Head Coach of the Marlies than to be an assistant at the NHL level.

I don't recall Maurice or Eakins wanting to be an assistant prior to getting their NHL jobs. A more credible source would be helpful in sorting out this rumour. I have my doubts for now.

Eakins was a Leafs assistant under Maurice in Toronto, IIRC

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
True but I bet he'll be able to cut down our shots against by a huge margin. That's on the system implemented by the coach. The players do what the coach tells you to do, how effective it's executed is on the players.

Do you not realize you've contradicted yourself? If how effectively it is implemented is on the players then they can be at fault for not implementing it properly.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Carlyle was brought back with an assignment to check himself in the mirror and reinvent himself Shanahan's words not mine....

Oh so you know what was said between them do you?

Nobody expects him to win the Stanley Cup with the roster as it stands but they expected a competent hockey team. The team never mind the results in the standings but more importantly the way they played underachieved and that's on him and the coaching staff not the players.

:shakehead

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

Dallas Eakins was previously an assistant with the Leafs and was on record that he preferred being a HC of the Marlies over another stint as an assistant with the parent club. A case of been there, done that. However Spott is in a totally different situation. A go at being an assistant with an NHL team would add something new to his resume and if he was offered the job by Shanahan, he would likely accept it as a good soldier within the MLSE umbrella.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yep, I knew that. What I am saying is The Marlies head coaching job is probably more desirable than an Asst's job. Eakins took the Head coaching job, not sure Spott is going to give it up to have to run things through Carlyle. I know I would keep the job with the Mairlies and raise my exposure there. He's only 1 year out of coaching the OHL.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Carlyle was brought back with an assignment to check himself in the mirror and reinvent himself Shanahan's words not mine...

Exactly what this team and city need: Wasting another year of everyone's time.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Yep, I knew that. What I am saying is The Marlies head coaching job is probably more desirable than an Asst's job. Eakins took the Head coaching job, not sure Spott is going to give it up to have to run things through Carlyle. I know I would keep the job with the Mairlies and raise my exposure there. He's only 1 year out of coaching the OHL.
The luster of hiring a guy who coached the Marlies to great success has probably faded dramatically after Eakins' year in Edmonton.

Mar 12, 2009
Spott is from the same mold of Deboer is he not. What Shanny likes? Makes sense if so.

He is not. Kitchener's style changed quite drastically changing from Deboer to Spott. Deboer coached teams were aggressive, hard nosed, hard working teams. Spott's teams were pretty soft and passive physically, trying to focus on speed and skill which had limited success (minus a run to the conference final with a very talented team).

Kind of early for him to be getting promoted imo.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Vishal Hussain @vishal_hussain
Can confirm that D.J Smith has interviewed/interviewing for a head coaching position. Team not confirmed but belief is it's the Marlies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Can confirm that D.J Smith has interviewed/interviewing for a head coaching position. Team not confirmed but belief is it's the Marlies.

Keeping Carlyle, experienced coach, make so much more sense now if they see Spott as a future head coach. Spott can come up and get a first hand view from the bench and hopefully be ready to take over full time within a year or two when Carlyle eventually moves on (or knowing Leafs, find a new role within the club).

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
These new assistant coaches are going to take us to the next level, along with character guys like Dave Bolland and Clarkson who play with character and grit.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Said it was a rumour.

He was most likely in line, and the Gens sweetened the pot

Sean Lafortune @SeanLafortune
DJ Smith named the assistant GM in Oshawa. Name was circling as a candidate for AHL jobs.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Oh and if people want to mass unfollow me then I understand. I feel like such an Eklund.

We're done here...

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
With the good work he has done with the Marlies this year, I wonder if Spott will get NHL head coach consideration? Otherwise, he would be a prime candidate for assistant coaching.

Maybe he goes to Edmonton and then the Leafs re-hire Eakins as an assistant or Marlies head coach, and make DJ Smith the other. Roller coaster!

mikebel111*

I like Spott as assistant coach but prefer him as Marlie head coach.
And with Smith not coming, I wonder if Spott stays HC unless there are more candidates for the HC job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig