Rumor: Spott to be promoted, DJ Smith will be Marlies coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Ohh DJ Smith, a fringe NHLer at best.

I'm so ****ing excited. The cup is surely ours.

Eastern Division championship coach.
Went 8-0 in the OHL playoffs, before running into the North Bay buzzsaw.
so final 4 in the O.

He isn't currently their coach, as he was let go, when GM Twohey was as well.
Strange for a successful season.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Eastern Division championship coach.
Went 8-0 in the OHL playoffs, before running into the North Bay buzzsaw.
so final 4 in the O.

He isn't currently their coach, as he was let go, when GM Twohey was as well.
Strange for a successful season.

Don't think he was fired, he was coach of the year, he's from Windsor and so is the owner of the Gens.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
History Lesson

Smith came over from the Islanders along with Wendell for Kenny Jonsson and the Leafs No1 pick that turned out to be Loungo. DJ was a 2nd rd pick for the Ise's, Warriner came in the Sundin trade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There is something going on here. Where there's smoke.....

No assistants have been named with the Maple Leafs.

But with only 1 year of coaching in the AHL and I believe it was 5 years with the Kitchener Rangers, there isn't a lot of experience. And for once, I believe that is a benefit for a Maple Leafs staff that needed a new point of view.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good news if true: hopefully he'll be able to convince Carayle to play some of our prospects like Holland/Ashton, ect for more than 5 minutes a night.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Good news if true: hopefully he'll be able to convince Carayle to play some of our prospects like Holland/Ashton, ect for more than 5 minutes a night.

Carlyle has always done that though and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The problem from when he won the Stanley Cup to now, is he doesn't have the horses that can get the job done and he doesn't realize it.

With the Marlies and Spott, he essentially rolls 3 lines fairly evenly and uses the 4th occasionally. So before we get ahead of ourselves, lets not expect that there will be a huge change.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If you are talking Todd Warriner he was a high draft pick of the Nords and was traded to us in the Sundin - Clark trade.

Okay for the record since not everyone is old like me, the pick I'm referring to that we gave up in the DJ Smith trade was the one the Isles used to pick Luongo.

'course, I'm fairly certain the Leafs would have chosen someone like Daniel Tkaczuk instead. He went two picks later. The year prior we chose Jeff Ware with our 1st rounder because his dad was buddies with Bill Watters. :rant:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Carlyle has always done that though and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The problem from when he won the Stanley Cup to now, is he doesn't have the horses that can get the job done and he doesn't realize it.

With the Marlies and Spott, he essentially rolls 3 lines fairly evenly and uses the 4th occasionally. So before we get ahead of ourselves, lets not expect that there will be a huge change.

Carlyle was brought back with an assignment to check himself in the mirror and reinvent himself Shanahan's words not mine.... Nobody expects him to win the Stanley Cup with the roster as it stands but they expected a competent hockey team. The team never mind the results in the standings but more importantly the way they played underachieved and that's on him and the coaching staff not the players. The change that needed to happen somewhat happen with the exception Carlyle is still head coach and was challenged to reinvent himself. Having somebody like Spot with head coach pedigree is a good start from leaving his stubborn, micromanaged hockey of my way or the highway approach to the curb and start to pay attention in making the adjustments the team requires at the right times.

If spot is coming up it will because there will be influx of multiple Marlies coming up with him and if rolling 3 lines is what we'll see in light of this it will be stock improvement of the micromanaged bench Carlyle deployed who ran a bench of 1 offensive line and a 5 man shut down unit strong.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Usually new GM/Overlords like to pick guys they have had a past relationship with.

Does Shanny have a previous relationship with Spott or Smith?

This is probably pure bunk, the Leafs braintrust does not want to do anything to disturb the great playoffs the Marlies are having and there is no reason to talk with Spott now about being an assistant coach with the Leafs, they can do that anytime this summer after the AHL playoffs.

I call 100% pure Grade 'A' BS on this rumor.

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Usually new GM/Overlords like to pick guys they have had a past relationship with.

This is probably pure bunk, the Leafs braintrust does not want to do anything to disturb the great playoffs the Marlies are having and there is no reason to talk with Spott now about being an assistant coach with the Leafs, they can do that anytime this summer after the AHL playoffs.

How would they disturb the Marlies playoff run if they talk with Spott moving up to the Leafs next season seeing as that is what all the kids on the Marlies wants to do as well. If anything they most likely get even more optimistic about their chances to make it next year with Spott behind the bench who by now know their game.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How would they disturb the Marlies playoff run if they talk with Spott moving up to the Leafs next season seeing as that is what all the kids on the Marlies wants to do as well. If anything they most likely get even more optimistic about their chances to make it next year with Spott behind the bench who by now know their game.

There are 20 kids on the Marlies, they know that maybe 2 or 3 will make the big team, rumors like this can deflate the team environment.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

or shanny is talking to other smart hockey minds and rewarding success...i doubt dj gets head coach ,likley associate coach ,spott is a highly regarded young coach ,why not promote him ,its not that absurd ,and maybe shanny isnt gonna hire all his old buddies ,maybe its ok to let merit give people a chance
people think shanny just fell off a turnip truck .the man has taked to evrry GM and every prominant player agent in hockey ,being the diciplinarian
he knows probally more about the leafs players than nonis ,because he hears things off the record
he wont let good hockey minds get away
i suspect ray shero will get a ook from shanny too

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
There are 20 kids on the Marlies, they know that maybe 2 or 3 will make the big team, rumors like this can deflate the team environment.

Perhaps, but I dont think so. If anything I expect them to be proud and glad for him. Their play, following his instructions, have contributed to him making it the NHL. I would hope that would get them excited. Different opinions I guess, we will see what happens.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Perhaps, but I dont think so. If anything I expect them to be proud and glad for him. Their play, following his instructions, have contributed to him making it the NHL. I would hope that would get them excited. Different opinions I guess, we will see what happens.

I agree with you. Hopefully Spott would set the record straight within the room too. If he is being moved to the Leafs next year, the mood would be upbeat along with the success they've had so far in the playoffs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I were Spott, it may be more attractive to the Head Coach of the Marlies than to be an assistant at the NHL level.

I don't recall Maurice or Eakins wanting to be an assistant prior to getting their NHL jobs. A more credible source would be helpful in sorting out this rumour. I have my doubts for now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

If anything it would encourage the players to play even harder since they'd feel there head coach being promoted would give them a better chance to make the Leafs .

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
They are all placeholders until Babcock can sign next season, win, lose or draw (preferably win, though).

BB

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
By this logic Wayne Gretzky should be the greatest head coach of all-time.

Wayne Gretzky, Greatest player of all-time = awful coach

Scotty Bowman, awful player = best coach of all time

It's weird how things like that work out.

Also, by this logic I would like to bring Lebda & Aki Berg into the front office and to be the Leafs assistant coaches next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig