Sportsnet's top 20 right wingers

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I said this before and I will say it again. Using the example of the times Phil Kessel scored 80 and 82 points for the Leafs tell me why did TSN rank him #43 and #37 when they did their top 50 players list? So the claim that Sportsnet is trying to suck up to Leafs fans is complete crap.
They sell hope before they sell frustration. They're solidly in the overhype phase. Give it 4-6 years and you'll hear that Matthews/Marner/Nylander has a hotdog problem. Also, most years that Kessel was there the Leafs weren't owned by Rogers.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They sell hope before they sell frustration. They're solidly in the overhype phase. Give it 4-6 years and you'll hear that Matthews/Marner/Nylander has a hotdog problem. Also, most years that Kessel was there the Leafs weren't owned by Rogers.
Bell & Rogers officially became their owners on August 22, 2012. However even before that day others still claimed they favor the Leafs. There was the usual how the Leafs are always the lead story and etc. However today whenever the Leafs play on HNIC they are stuck with Jim Hughson broadcasting their games and everyone knows he's a Leafs hater. Who can forget last season when the Canucks defeated the Maple Leafs and he said the following sentence. "There's nothing better on a Saturday night with the Canucks beating the Maple Leafs." Remember he is supposed to be the lead announcer for HNIC, not have any favorites and he did the complete opposite of that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
"Best goalscorer of his generation" is a throwaway comment? LOL what is in the water in Vancouver...

It's a throwaway comment because it isn't the main argument of his post. This isn't a thread about the best goalscorer of the coming generation or anything to do with Matthews. His point was that Laine's spot on this list will look silly when he's a Hall of Fame goalscorer and one of the best in the game and the other wingers ahead of him on this list won't be close to that. Believing Laine is going to be the best goalscorer of his generation is a reasonable prediction, and whether he actually becomes the best over Matthews doesn't have any real effect on that main argument that putting the other wingers ahead of Laine will look bad in the future. Nitpicking it only derails the conversation and reeks of a fan desperate to pump their player's tires at any opportunity

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Bell & Rogers officially became their owners on August 22, 2012. However even before that day others still claimed they favor the Leafs. There was the usual how the Leafs are always the lead story and etc. However today whenever the Leafs play on HNIC they are stuck with Jim Hughson broadcasting their games and everyone knows he's a Leafs hater. Who can forget last season when the Canucks defeated the Maple Leafs and he said the following sentence. "There's nothing better on a Saturday night with the Canucks beating the Maple Leafs." Remember he is supposed to be the lead announcer for HNIC, not have any favorites and he did the complete opposite of that.
So your counter argument to the Leafs getting ridiculous coverage 99% of the time is one quote?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I swear the people constantly whining and whining about leafs coverage are worse than leafs coverage itself.

It's absolutely pathetic. These people are so irrelevant that the only way they can vent is on forums.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Imagine being the guy who made these lists and thinking "Yeah, these rankings based on these stats seem reasonable."

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Kessel obviously scores a lot and according to the article, he ranked first in zone entries among players at his position (Regarding Kucherov: "Last season he ranked as the top zone exit player at his position, and was second-best in zone entries to only Phil Kessel") but somehow isn't even a top 20 player at his position?

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
There were a number of more complete RW's than Laine in the previous 2 seasons, of that people can probably agree with. But I have a feeling that he's going to put it together this season and become a more complete player than he was in his rookie seasons, taking a step beyond the role of just a pure goal scorer and PP powerhouse. I suppose it depends on how he's going to be utilized by the team (so far it doesn't seem like his TOI will be improving, atleast).

In his first game of the season, he looked quicker on his feet and more comfortable with his hands, willing to play the puck in areas where he would previously have faltered. We shall see whether that continues to be a trend for the rest of the season.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
this is like the worst list of top 20 wingers this year. they tried something different. they failed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There were a number of more complete RW's than Laine in the previous 2 seasons, of that people can probably agree with. But I have a feeling that he's going to put it together this season and become a more complete player than he was in his rookie seasons, taking a step beyond the role of just a pure goal scorer and PP powerhouse. I suppose it depends on how he's going to be utilized by the team (so far it doesn't seem like his TOI will be improving, atleast).

In his first game of the season, he looked quicker on his feet and more comfortable with his hands, willing to play the puck in areas where he would previously have faltered. We shall see whether that continues to be a trend for the rest of the season.

I don't really see Laine's game changing all that much. He's a gunner. His job is to get into prime scoring areas and get his shot off, whether that's at even strength or on the PP (where he's one of the most dangerous weapons in the league).

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I don't really see Laine's game changing all that much. He's a gunner. His job is to get into prime scoring areas and get his shot off, whether that's at even strength or on the PP (where he's one of the most dangerous weapons in the league).

His occupation won't change but I think he will get more solid in other areas, never exceptional, but not as vulnerable as he has been. Previously, he was prone to turning the puck over when pressured by a skilled and aggressive defense. It shut him out of scoring opportunities that he otherwise would've had.

He wasn't drafted high just because of his shot, but the general offensive play-making abilities that he showed as a rookie. He needs to be a dude that the team can depend on, to handle the puck at the blue-line, even if a defender is onto him, and to make plays when the shooting lanes aren't open. That wasn't always the case in his first two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad