Sportsnet's top 20 right wingers

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Winnipeg fans will be too upset, maybe extreme homers and the delusional Finnish people but the article is objective and does praise Laine for his ability to shoot. I think most objective fans agree that his game is one-dimensional right now but he's young and that can change. For example someone like Marner the article notes increased his defensive work in his own zone by a significant amount after his rookie year which just requires hard work. If young players like Nylander and even moreso Marner can be effective defensively there's a chance that Laine gets there one day.

I think it made great points about Gally and think his ranking is pretty accurate.

Don't disagree, but need to point out that Laine is also putting in the work and improved from his rookie year. Not sure that Marner and Nylander deserve to be on this list any more than he does.

Reactions: Duke749

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I read their standards, and understand where they are coming from. It doesn’t mean I have to agree with it. So maybe you shouldn’t assume what I read and didn’t.

@Duke749

Then I don’t see where the confusion is. If you’ve e seen Laine then you’d know he has a lot of work to do with regards to his overall game.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
When someone says Laine is going to be the best goalscorer of this generation, a rebuttal with Matthews is appropriate. Try to keep up little guy

It was a throwaway comment about his place among wingers, and how his rankings is going to look stupid in the future, not a debate about who is actually going to be the best goalscorer in the game going forward. Anyone who isn't a fanboy with a fragile ego could understand that.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Then I don’t see where the confusion is. If you’ve e seen Laine then you’d know he has a lot of work to do with regards to his overall game.

I do watch Laine, and yes his defense needs to be improved. But his offensive skills TO ME exceed that short coming and is a bigger impact overall during the game.

Again I understand, but I don’t agree with his placement.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
This is a RW thread and somehow Matthews is involved again... Well it was a shit thread to begin with so it can’t get that much worse :popcorn:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
This is what happens when you focus too greatly on fancy numbers. The world of sports has become absolutely obsessed with assigning a numeric value to every little thing and it cheapens the experience. I don't give a damn what those charts say, Kessel is a better winger than Craig Smith.

Reactions: Freedom

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Nylander at 9 ahead of Gally and Laine, suuuure
Marner ahead of Laine Suuuure.
Pasta behind Stone and Vlad.... Yeah sure.
Kessel not on the list.
CRAIG ****ING SMITH ?

The only thing they got right is the top two.
Haha yeaahh I'd love to see what Tarasenko does playing next to Marchand and Bergeron too.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Kessel was something like 5th in the NHL in points last season. How can he be missing from this list?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It was a throwaway comment about his place among wingers, and how his rankings is going to look stupid in the future, not a debate about who is actually going to be the best goalscorer in the game going forward. Anyone who isn't a fanboy with a fragile ego could understand that.
"Best goalscorer of his generation" is a throwaway comment? LOL what is in the water in Vancouver...

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
After seeing the other lists as well, it seems to me that the formula overstates defense. No, I am not saying defense is not important but it was especially evident on the C list.

As for the young stars discussed, without giving it too much thought, I would only have Marner in top 20 RWs. However, as I wrote in the LW thread, this is the criteria they used and the result they got.

All that and the other criticism that I had in the other threads aside, I am glad for a different take that these lists represent.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
That list is terrible

Man oh man, first I waited for Sportsnet to load 2-3 times before it stabilized and then I find out I waited to see Voracek Kessel Palmieri all rated under Craig f***ing Smith and other bums??

Thatll be the last time I visit that website

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just out of curiosity I assume this article focuses heavily on the past 2 season. How exactly isn't Bailey considered in the top 20 if we only basing it on 2 seasons?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm kind of surprised Eberle is that high. Was he getting that much credit while he was in Edmonton? I know we liked him, but were told he didn't bring a lot of intangibles.

Then when he wasn't producing the way we liked and traded people start giving him credit?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That list is terrible

Man oh man, first I waited for Sportsnet to load 2-3 times before it stabilized and then I find out I waited to see Voracek Kessel Palmieri all rated under Craig ****ing Smith and other bums??

Thatll be the last time I visit that website
I rarely even open them as these lists are so different depending on the people picking them.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I know this is based on a predetermined formula but how much defensive and transition wizardry does Nino Neiderreiter, Craig Smith, Gallagher, and Sam Reinhart have to make up for the 40ish-60 point difference on Kessel?

I think you have to factor QoC and QoT for the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->