Sportsnet's Eric Francis RIPS Johnny Gaudreau and Flames

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Flames and Tampa will be back sooner and better next year. Championship teams generally take a while to build. Granted, this playoff had been a real setback. No doubt. But I wouldn't write them off just yet.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is not all on Gaudreau, Monahan has to be better. There has too be major changes in the off season.

Francis is right, there is nothing wrong with what he said.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Sounds like a drunken angry fan rant more than anything coming from a professional "analyst". He already cancelled his tickets? Lmao... like why in the hell is that in any way relevant to anyone. All it serves is to potentially make him look like an even bigger idiot if the Flames crawl their way back.

Reactions: Eisen and BigT2002

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
As someone who hates Francis, I agree with pretty much everything he said here.

I don't like Francis either, I think he is a jerk but I agree with him here. I think that the Flames should just sell everyone and rebuild. This core is not good enough and this reminds me of the Iginla era, where we did not have a legit #1 center and this hurt us come playoff time.

Johnny I think is trying but they double/triple teaming him because they know that the others on his line can't do shit. They have the Flames on their heels because their forwards are pressuring the Flames D, while our forwards are not doing the same. By pressuring the Flames D and the Flames not pressuring their D, is making everyone, on the Flames defend and this is making it hard on the Flames.

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
- Gaudreau is sorta a one trick pony. Compares him to Marner . He says Marner back checks tho and Gaudreau doesnt have that in him. Never seen him block a shot. If Gaudreau isnt putting up points he isnt contributing any other way.
I've barely seen Gaudreau play in Calgary since I'm on the east coast but I saw him play live when I was at Penn State and BC came to play us and I felt the same way. He was cherry-picking the entire game and didn't impress me. I think he might have had a goal (maybe even two) but he looked lazy out there and was definitely a "one-trick pony".

I have no idea how much his game has changed since college and he's obviously a super skilled player but his first impression on me wasn't great and now watching this series I don't think I've noticed him once.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
It takes a special smaller player with the right team to produce in the playoffs. I don't think Johnny is on the same level as Kane or MSL.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Sounds like a drunken angry fan rant more than anything coming from a professional "analyst". He already cancelled his tickets? Lmao... like why in the hell is that in any way relevant to anyone. All it serves is to potentially make him look like an even bigger idiot if the Flames crawl their way back.

This is Francis, dude isn't professional. He writes like a hack blogger and speaks like a child. Even when he is "right", as in I agree with him he still comes off as a complete dufus.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
The Flames and Tampa will be back sooner and better next year. Championship teams generally take a while to build. Granted, this playoff had been a real setback. No doubt. But I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Better, debatable. Sooner, impossible.

Reactions: cgf

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
The Flames played in a very unsustainable way all year tbh.

You can't expect to to be losing late in games playing like you're in a coma & then flick a switch & roar back to win. It's just catching up to them now.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I do notice that Goudreau loves to cherry pick alot. He is rarely in his own end trying to win battles for loose pucks. He will battle in the offensive zone for pucks but rarely in the defensive zone.
This is so false. He is always causing turnovers in his own zone.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
The Flames played in a very unsustainable way all year tbh.

You can't expect to to be losing late in games playing like you're in a coma & then flick a switch & roar back to win. It's just catching up to them now.
Except they didn’t come back in every game. Maybe 5 or 6 games they came back from behind. They still would have made the playoffs if they list those 6

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Not sure what you’re watching but he’s been absolutely horrible. So afraid of contact he gets rid of the puck the second any of the Avs get within a few feet of him. Even on the OT pp last game he was just bailing out on plays to avoid any sort of contact. Monahan hasn’t been much better imo, crazy that Peters hasn’t switched up his lines. Also what the heck happened to the real deal James neal? Did he go to the same TED Talk as Lucic?
I agree with some of that but not Gaudreau. Mackinnon may be outplaying him but JH is making excellent plays. He's skating right with the Av's and not shying away from contact. He's the last player I'm looking at judging the Flames. They need to get younger and keep improving the team.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
"Flames are done. He cancelled his hotel booking back to Colorado and will cancel his flight soon too."

Hard to take him seriously as soon as I read that

RAB FERD

Oct 2, 2013
Wow this guy seems like a butthurt loser and a hack journalist. I hope the flames come back just to shut him up.

Reactions: kevrondl

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
I guess when you pat yourself on the back, and participate in feverish circle-jerks about your regular season success, the fall from grace is a long one.

I have sympathy for Smith, but Calgary hasn't earned any respect, and the clowns on their team (Tkachuk/Bennett) are the worst example of hockey players that this league has to offer.

I also have no sympathy for some of the Calgary fans who called me a cocky idiot for disagreeing that the Avs would be swept.

I haven't seen a fan base so sure of themselves in a while, despite the fact that they've actually had no recent playoff success.

I picked Colorado to win this series, and yes, I am bias, but I've seen lots of fans of other teams around here also take Colorado.

When you look at the stats leading up to the playoffs, it's not a mystery as to why the Avs are beating the pants off Calgary.

Anyways I can't wait until this series is over. Getting really sick of it, and hopefully Calgary can keep their crying to themselves.
Man, posts from Colorado fans have been especially bad this year

Reactions: kevrondl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad