Sportsnet's Eric Francis RIPS Johnny Gaudreau and Flames

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
My earlier thread got closed as it was missing a linked source.

So here it is..

Eric Francis on w Sportsnet 650

http://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/podcasts...l-19--The-NHL-playoffs-continue-to-dazzle.mp3

Eric Francis starts at 1:57:15

Summary of what Francis says in the interview.

- Flames are done. He cancelled his hotel booking back to Colorado and will cancel his flight soon too. He thinks Flames are done in CGY next game.

- Flames top line has been a No Show.

- Gaudreau is sorta a one trick pony. Compares him to Marner . He says Marner back checks tho and Gaudreau doesnt have that in him. Never seen him block a shot. If Gaudreau isnt putting up points he isnt contributing any other way.

- Gaudreau and Mackinnon both w 99 pts in reg season and 1 guy has taken over the series...the other guy has completely disappeared. It had happened before 2 yrs ago when Gaudreau didnt show up vs the Ducks and Flames got swept.

- Francis says When the going gets tough we see what happens to Gaudreau and this might follow him the rest of his career.

- " you can write this down.. TJ Brodie will be traded"

"hes too high risk and makes too many mistakes "

- " Mike Smith can win the conn smythe and the Stanley cup and the Flames wouldnt bring him back.next year because hes so wildly unpopular in Calgary"

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
It's a good thing the Flames followed the Oilers model and opened up the bank vault and locked down their core for the foreseeable future.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I agree with some of that but not Gaudreau. Mackinnon may be outplaying him but JH is making excellent plays. He's skating right with the Av's and not shying away from contact. He's the last player I'm looking at judging the Flames. They need to get younger and keep improving the team.

Reactions: Sk8M8

kevrondl

Dec 29, 2008
Oshawa, ON
Gaudreau hasn't been great, but I think the real problem on that line is Monahan. The Flames lack of speed when it comes to their best players is an issue, Johnny might be the only one that doesn't apply to, but when he stops up just inside the blue line to wait for his line-mates, his speed is kind of nullified.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I agree with some of that but not Gaudreau. Mackinnon may be outplaying him but JH is making excellent plays. He's skating right with the Av's and not shying away from contact. He's the last player I'm looking at judging the Flames. They need to get younger and keep improving the team.

Younger? They have 5 players over 30 on the entire roster, and their best players outside of Gio are all 25 and under.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Younger? They have 5 players over 30 on the entire roster, and their best players outside of Gio are all 25 and under.

Including the players who are 28 and up, that's what's killing them. These are key positions that could be upgraded. Backlund, Neal, Brodie, especially Frolik aren't getting it done. Smith is over the hill too.

It'd be nice if Monahan and Lindholm could step up at their age. I forgot Bennet was only 22.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

What series are you watching?

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
He better back this up, i dont want to see his sorry ass for 1 second on cbc if we force game 6.

Brad Marchant

Feb 28, 2019
A guy like Gaudreau can do well in the playoffs but he isnt getting the required support. Both physically as well as just his linemates are dogging it hard and not letting him be the playmaker he is.

That being said, just because Johnny CAN succeed in the playoffs, doesnt mean he will. I have never seen a team’s top 6 (including Johnny) just fold and so clearly not even try as bad as I have the Flames right now. Tampa Bay looked more into their seriesthan the Flames. I would bet money that the Senators wouldnt have allowed 50+ shots in two games in a row this year. I watched Flames teams from 2011-2016 that would have put more of an effort in. The entire team is not only playing like dog****, but putting in one of the most pathetic performances Ive ever seen. This is a team with the lowest shots against in the regular season, giving up 40-55 shots per game. Mike Smith is the only reason it hasnt been a sweep.

All regular season long the Flames would crush opponents. Endless O-zone cycling, odd man rushes up the butt, creative plays, D-men pinching in and winning every time, winning every battle, carrying the puck in instead of dumping the puck, and neutralizing opposing breakouts. Chucky was a MASTER at drawing penalties. They did it WELL.

Now what are we seeing? Meekness has infected the team. No cycling at all. The opposing team is getting breakout rushes at will. The Flames lose nearly every puck battle and it doesnt look like they even try. When they arent dumping and chasing/changing, the puck carrier is skating in and stopping just past the blue line EVERY SINGLE TIME. Johnny especially. Its so predictable and then he gets cornered and passes it right into their shinpads and woopdee doo, a turnover and odd man rush!! D-men are too scared to pinch. Stupid penalties are being taken.

The Flames are playing SCARED hockey. They are trying not to lose, not trying to win. They are on their heels instead of the balls of their feet. They are playing like they spent the last 3 weeks assuming they’d win this series and now they are stumbling around to get a footing. It is legitimately some of the most pathetic hockey Ive ever watched and it pains me. I hope they learn their lesson here.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
How is he skating right with the Avs when he's too busy falling on himself trying to draw a penalty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad