Rumor: Sportsnet's Chris Johnston Thornton and Leafs have mutual interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Jeez... Does Dubas know that to get tougher, it doesnt mean you have to get significantly older in the process?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Idk if it's a fit but sure.

Also the leafs dont have anyone currently old AND slow what are these lame narratives. Spezza while old is an average skater not slow, who in transition can still skate well.

Simmonds is not old and was not healthy for a long time I'm sure hes an average skater maybe a lil slow once healthy. People will make anything up I suppose.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Anyone laughing at Toronto for this is pretty clueless tbh. Joe is still a solid player, even just for the presence of the guy, and at what would likely be 700k-1m (as the Leafs can't afford much more than that) would be great. Just would need to get some speed on his wings.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Anyone laughing at Toronto for this is pretty clueless tbh. Joe is still a solid player, even just for the presence of the guy, and at what would likely be 700k-1m (as the Leafs can't afford much more than that) would be great. Just would need to get some speed on his wings.

Pretty much this. Get a forechecker and a finisher on his wings and that'll be a solid 3rd or 4th line. He helped Labanc get 56 points just two years ago. Last year he only scored 31 points, but no one on the Sharks scored more than 49 so it was a down year for everyone.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Its a one year deal with a low cap hit guaranteed, not really much of a risk.

Who knows putting with a youthful team might benefit him a lot, or make him look even slower.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Pretty much this. Get a forechecker and a finisher on his wings and that'll be a solid 3rd or 4th line. He helped Labanc get 56 points just two years ago. Last year he only scored 31 points, but no one on the Sharks scored more than 49 so it was a down year for everyone.
If Thornton plays 3c. He gets kerfoot and Robertson most likely on his wing. Both fast players and, robertson being a great checker.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Remind me again how many more playoff series Toronto has won than Ottawa in the past 15 years?

Yeah, it must suck being a young Leaf fan.

On the other hand, I'm a bit older and I have very fond memories of multiple playoff series between Toronto and Ottawa.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Would this make Spezza play wing?

Matthews
Tavares
Kerfoot
Spezza
Thornton
One of these suckas yes, sire. But It could also be kerfoot. One of them. Joey only has played a couple of games on the wing during his career. He has given the younger personel like pavelski etc to take faceoffs instead of the big man himself during these last 2 years. But yeah, he still one of the key faceoff men when he wants to. Was one of the best in fact earlier during his career. Like 15 years straight on that sucka.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If Thornton plays 3c. He gets kerfoot and Robertson most likely on his wing. Both fast players and, robertson being a great checker.

If that's the Leafs third line going into the playoffs I'd bet the house on whomever they are playing. I'm having nightmares imagining Joe in the team's bottom 6, but at 3C? That's just cruel.

The Leafs have enough depth. There are still 100 or so free agents out there, many of whom will come in at league minimum, are way younger than 41 and certainly will be playing for a future contract. Faster, more physical, less beard, more upside.

Last point on this: Among the many hockey analysts who know a lot more than me about this stuff, not one I've heard say they even understand it, never mind approve. Ferraro even stole my line about how they "already have a Spezza."

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Friedman had speculated the same thing after the deadline.

Jumbo would have take a minimum salary, but I'm sure at this point the money isn't as important for him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Kerfoot and Robertson can provide that

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would rather have Thornton at 1M than Kerfoot at 3.5M. Kerfoot has to go eventually to free more space up. Dubas said he wants as much space as possible for the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad