Rumor: Sportsnet's Chris Johnston Thornton and Leafs have mutual interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sportsnet's Chris Johnston was on the SDP yesterday and he said there is mutual interest between the Maple Leafs and Joe Thornton and he thinks there is a pretty good chance Thornton ends up in Toronto

As a Leaf fan I'm all for it, I think if you are a team like the Leafs and you see yourself in win now mode and they clearly do, you need to bring in as much depth as possible, especially given the fact that if the NHL really does intend to play a fyll a play 82 game season, and they claim they do, that would mean an incredibly condensed schedule so you NEED depth.

even at 41 Joe Thornton could be a great addition to any team.

Do you think this gets done? I kind of do.

Reactions: uncleben

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'd be surprised, but not *that* surprised. I'd say there's still at least a 90 percent chance he ends up in SJ, but, based on some quotes from last trade deadline, Joe seemed a bit disappointed that he wasn't dealt to a contender.

Reactions: sjsharks92

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Their bottom six is going to be a lot slower and less skilled with Simmonds and Thornton in and Kapanen Johnsson out

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Thornton-Kerfoot
Simmonds-Speeza-Engval/Barbanov/etc

That lineup has 6 NHL caliber centers for depth and Engval has spent time there in the past as well.

Thornton and Simmonds might be the two slowest Leaf forwards now but Johnsson and Kapanen didn't do much with their skill when playing against physical teams anyways. I'd rather have Thornton over Johnsson and Kapanen for the center depth, vet presence,etc...

Simmonds is nothing more than a 4th liner replacing Clifford...he was never replacing Kapanen or Johnsson to begin with. Robertson is the Leafs top forward prospect and will be given that position to fill.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
It's been speculated but to be honest I'm not convinced that it's a done deal. Thornton is looking at $1.5M max on a new contract and the leafs with another trade could squeeze him in easily. However the fact they just signed Vesey at $900k tells you that there's a lack of urgency on both sides.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be surprised, but not *that* surprised. I'd say there's still at least a 90 percent chance he ends up in SJ, but, based on some quotes from last trade deadline, Joe seemed a bit disappointed that he wasn't dealt to a contender.

That's why I don't think he goes back to SJ he already wanted to leave

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Vesey Engvall Simmonds
Barabanov Spezza Anderson
Thornton

Possibly Thornton and Spezza alternate.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
This was said yesterday

This was FEBRUARY 26th

"4. If Thornton is not sold on the Sharks, and he’s willing to seek out new life (boldly go where no one has gone before), my prediction is Toronto will be a factor. I can’t confirm this, but I believe the Maple Leafs considered adding him now. Two things stopped it: 1) their decision not to make short-term fixes after the Carolina loss, and 2) are they really a legit contender if they have to go through Boston or Tampa Bay or both? When GM Kyle Dubas said he wanted to see how his group would respond to its tough stretch, he meant it. Thornton would have eased the tension right now, but the organization wants to see how everyone top to bottom reacts and performs. Next season is a different story."

31 Thoughts: Could Joe Thornton's next destination be Toronto? - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: robertmac43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad