Sportsnet top 20 centres

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I'm surprised that they ranked Tavares at #12 and Eichel at #10.

As for Matthews being at #5, can the people on HF just agree that Matthews is better than he gets credit for. There are reasons every list he is on ranks him in the top 10, even though others claim he should not be ranked that high.

Are those reasons because he plays in Toronto?

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
LOL. Yet another source that lists Matthews super high, and some anti-Leaf fans disagree with it vehemently. Surprise,. surprise!!

Matthews is one of the best. GET USED TO IT, SUCKAS!!

I think the issue is more with the article clearly stating that centers are graded "over the last three seasons"....which you'd think would render Matthews ineligible, obviously through no fault of his own.

But Sportsnet knew that adding him in early would get us all talking and giving them page views, so....yeah.

That's pretty much why he's on there. :laugh:

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I think the metrics are somewhat flawed because some parts of the list don't make sense. Compared to some purely opinion-based lists I think it's a good one, though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Schiefele is absurdly low, how is this guy still not getting the recognition he deserves?
Krejci's inclusion and Seguin's exclusion are head scratchers.

Coming from an Oilers fan, Draisaitl is too high (still very unproven as a center) and I LOVE the Barkov ranking after seeing several years of him being severely under-ranked.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
it's crazy how nobody knows how low Matthews is supposed to be besides the HF experts
It's an opinion mate. Nobody here says he's an expert or something it's a forum where everyone expresses his opinion. At this point, I don't particularly care about the rankings season can't start soon enough :( I just can't wait how those rankings will be by christmas.

Brightside about those rankings is that Barkov and Getzlaf get some recognition. Also Eichel isn't far of Matthews since I think they are pretty similar.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's an opinion mate. Nobody here says he's an expert or something it's a forum where everyone expresses his opinion. At this point, I don't particularly care about the rankings season can't start soon enough :( I just can't wait how those rankings will be by christmas.
Yet in every ranking no matter if it's from TSN, Sportsnet or the NHL Network has Matthews ranked in the top 10. So doesn't it come to a point where maybe they know something more than an average poster on here who hates seeing Matthews ranked this high.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Isn't this like the 5th top-20 thread that starts with a remark about how everyone will hate where Matthews is placed? I happen to think he's a great player, I think he is a little higher than he should be (but not much)....what I'm actually starting to hate is the weekly mantra - "everyone will hate where Matthews is placed"...it's getting so overused

#hateception

I get how you feel but just look at the posts before yours. 2 of 4 focus on overrated (aka hated) Matthews.

Despite watching him...Examining stats...Citing the writers explanations...

A lot of people still need to hate. So if you don’t like it tell people to check their hate.

And to the haters...sit and watch this year. He’s gonna prove you all very wrong.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I'm surprised that they ranked Tavares at #12 and Eichel at #10.

As for Matthews being at #5, can the people on HF just agree that Matthews is better than he gets credit for. There are reasons every list he is on ranks him in the top 10, even though others claim he should not be ranked that high.

Disagree. He's worse than he gets credit for, actually.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
The ridicilousness of Matthews in top 5 is largely overshadowed by Krejci at 19, lol.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Sean Monahan must have been in the 21st spot. Our #1 center.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cellee

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Yet in every ranking no matter if it's from TSN, Sportsnet or the NHL Network has Matthews ranked in the top 10. So doesn't it come to a point where maybe they know something more than an average poster on here who hates seeing Matthews ranked this high.
Why couldn't some posters think that Matthews is particularly high after only two seasons with none of that hitting 70pts+. It's an opinion if you take that personally why don't just say : This season you will see that he deserves to be there and you will eat crow or something instead of keeping arguing those people that won't change their opinion. You won't change your opinion when some people tell you Matthews doesn't belong in that top 10 so you shouldn't expect people to change theirs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why couldn't some posters think that Matthews is particularly high after only two seasons with none of that hitting 70pts+. It's an opinion if you take that personally why don't just say : This season you will see that he deserves to be there and you will eat crow or something instead of keeping arguing those people that won't change their opinion. You won't change your opinion when some people tell you Matthews doesn't belong in that top 10 so you shouldn't expect people to change theirs.
So let's say as an example Matthews gets 79 points this season. Are those same people going to than bring up how Matthews is not an 80 point player? Hell what if Matthews gets 89 points will they claim he's not a 90 point player? It's like all they focus on was him getting 69 points as a rookie and are using 70 points as an arbitrary number, even though they never mention his 40 goal rookie season.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
If the statistical analysis is poor because Matthews and Krejci are too high then it’s poor in ranking Getzlaf and Barkov high.

If you don’t like the stats used that’s fine.

But if you like that it recognises well rounded guys like Getz then you can’t pick and choose which players are ranked right and wrong.

Reactions: zaYG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->