Sportsnet - Team Preview 2015-16: Winnipeg Jets

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
What Lawless did was list a 4th line with both Thor and Peluso on it at the same time. That is my complaint with what Lawless wrote. Period. It is about what he wrote, not about what the Jets did.

I don't know how you can imagine Peluso as a Plan B or C or F for a circumstance where both Petan and Armia manage to be so bad that Peluso is a better option but it is your fantasy. But that is not what lawless wrote.

You know, I'm not actually so certain that he did... I only skimmed the article because it's not going to be full of eye-opening insights, but I did notice that the section where the lines were projected was referred to as "our best guess" or something like that. It was definitely plural. I'm going to take that to mean one of a few things: the whole team of chuckleheads at the Freep put that together, an intern chucklehead (or team thereof) put that together, or an editor chucklehead put that together.

Lawless hasn't done a lot to convince me that he's a particularly bright guy, and I could see him contradicting himself on a lot of subjects. It's just that he seems to have spent a fair time daydreaming about how the Jets are going to look coming out of camp. I can't see him not sticking to his guns.

I'm going to stick to mine and suggest that these two pieces were written by different people and it was a lousy editor who didn't notice the inconsistencies when he or she merged them into each other.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Also, any publication that predicts anything other than the Jets winning the Cup after a 16 game playoff winning streak, obviously is not a credible publication and should be ignored altogether.

I am currently boycotting all sports newspapers, digests, magazines, periodicals and websites until they get their collective acts together. :shakehead

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You know, I'm not actually so certain that he did... I only skimmed the article because it's not going to be full of eye-opening insights, but I did notice that the section where the lines were projected was referred to as "our best guess" or something like that. It was definitely plural. I'm going to take that to mean one of a few things: the whole team of chuckleheads at the Freep put that together, an intern chucklehead (or team thereof) put that together, or an editor chucklehead put that together.

Lawless hasn't done a lot to convince me that he's a particularly bright guy, and I could see him contradicting himself on a lot of subjects. It's just that he seems to have spent a fair time daydreaming about how the Jets are going to look coming out of camp. I can't see him not sticking to his guns.

I'm going to stick to mine and suggest that these two pieces were written by different people and it was a lousy editor who didn't notice the inconsistencies when he or she merged them into each other.

First bolded -- It's not uncommon for a singular writer (as in one person, not unusual or striking) to refer to himself as "us" or "our" or "we." Kind of like the royal we. Not saying definitively that's the case here, but if the article carries Lawless's byline then I'd find it unlikely that he's speaking for anyone but himself unless he said he had help.

Second bolded -- Given how many mistakes the FP prints every day, I'd be surprised if sports stories even go through an editor for proofing. Maybe a quick scan before slapping a hand-grenade headline (close is good enough) on it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Possible and I would actually like to be able to give Lawless the benefit of the doubt but it is SOOO typical of him that I just can't. He does these kinds of things in his on air work too so it isn't any editor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad