Sportsnet - Team Preview 2015-16: Winnipeg Jets

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-team-preview-2015-16-winnipeg-jets/

Not a bad summary of the Jets outlook.
This caught my eye,
Goaltending: The emergence of an impressive Michael Hutchinson was one of the Jets' biggest surprises last season, and all signs point to him having another strong year. Veteran Ondrej Pavelec struggled at times, but found his stride when it counted most. That tandem should give the Jets confidence in the crease this year. And with up-and-coming prospect Connor Hellebuyck knocking on the door from his AHL crease, the Jets' net looks like it's in good hands.
GRADE: B

A grade of B for last year, yes but an expectation of a B again this year I thought was a little optimistic. A C should be good enough to get into the POs.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lawless,
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/depth-chart-324491981.html

Reading along, objecting to Lawless less than I usually do. He lists his line guesses, OK so far. Then (dun, dun, dun, duhhhhhhhh) this;
"LW Chris Thorburn — C Andrew Copp — RW Anthony Peluso"

The story had started with this line "One of the most frequently asked questions this summer has been why haven’t the Winnipeg Jets re-signed veteran Lee Stempniak? The simple answer is opportunity."

So Lawless thinks the reason Stempniak was not signed was to give 'opportunity' to Anthony Peluso.

That's why I dislike Lawless so much. He sets me up and then says something that makes me want to slap him upside the head.

Edit:Maybe a mod could change the title for me. Drop Sportsnet and just make it team previews. I didn't see a better existing thread.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Lawless,

Reading along, objecting to Lawless less than I usually do. He lists his line guesses, OK so far. Then (dun, dun, dun, duhhhhhhhh) this;

The story had started with this line "One of the most frequently asked questions this summer has been why haven’t the Winnipeg Jets re-signed veteran Lee Stempniak? The simple answer is opportunity."

So Lawless thinks the reason Stempniak was not signed was to give 'opportunity' to Anthony Peluso.

That's why I dislike Lawless so much. He sets me up and then says something that makes me want to slap him upside the head.

Edit:Maybe a mod could change the title for me. Drop Sportsnet and just make it team previews. I didn't see a better existing thread.

He said Stempniak got signed to give opportunity to Armia, Petan and Copp...not Peluso. Peluso wasn't even mentioned until then line combos.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless,

I noticed that to. Actually chuckled and mumbled something about him that wasn't very complimentary. Not signing Stemp to give the prospects an opportunity then he pencils in Peluso ahead of Petan and Armia.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I noticed that to. Actually chuckled and mumbled something about him that wasn't very complimentary. Not signing Stemp to give the prospects an opportunity then he pencils in Peluso ahead of Petan and Armia.

I fully anticipate that real life will mirror this and I half expect to see Cormier in Copp's place at some point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He said Stempniak got signed to give opportunity to Armia, Petan and Copp...not Peluso. Peluso wasn't even mentioned until then line combos.

And then in his listed lines we get Ehlers and Copp for rookies with Peluso still in a starting role. So the result is that Stemp is not signed and the spot he might have filled is held by Peluso. Therefore Stemp dropped to give opportunity to Peluso.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And then in his listed lines we get Ehlers and Copp for rookies with Peluso still in a starting role. So the result is that Stemp is not signed and the spot he might have filled is held by Peluso. Therefore Stemp dropped to give opportunity to Peluso.

IMO this what seemed to make his article and corresponding line combos in-congruent.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
His 4 lines were:

Ladd-Little-Stafford
MP-Sceif-Wheeler
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers
Thor-Copp-Peluso

He was doing fine until Peluso.

I fully anticipate that real life will mirror this and I half expect to see Cormier in Copp's place at some point.

If that is the case then there is no rationale for signing Cormier, Peluso, Halischuk, Fraser and NOT signing decent players like Stemp, Tlusty, Glencross, maybe Goc for 4C.

If the decision is to go with our prospects OK. Then do it. If the decision is to go with vets OK. Get the GOOD ones.

I can even see Burmi at 4C if Copp is not up to it and Petan or another rookie claims a 3rd line spot. But Cormier should not have been kept around last year much less this year. He has had sufficient chance and has shown himself to be an AHL player, not even an NHL/AHL tweener. Just pure AHL.

Peluso was given his opportunity most of last year. He stayed in the lineup for an extended stretch giving him the chance to settle in and show what he could do. It wasn't enough. His role should be strictly limited to face-puncher. He should not have been given a 1 way contract.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

If that is the case then there is no rationale for signing Cormier, Peluso, Halischuk, Fraser and NOT signing decent players like Stemp, Tlusty, Glencross, maybe Goc for 4C.

If the decision is to go with our prospects OK. Then do it. If the decision is to go with vets OK. Get the GOOD ones.

I can even see Burmi at 4C if Copp is not up to it and Petan or another rookie claims a 3rd line spot. But Cormier should not have been kept around last year much less this year. He has had sufficient chance and has shown himself to be an AHL player, not even an NHL/AHL tweener. Just pure AHL.

Peluso was given his opportunity most of last year. He stayed in the lineup for an extended stretch giving him the chance to settle in and show what he could do. It wasn't enough. His role should be strictly limited to face-puncher. He should not have been given a 1 way contract.
If they were done with Peluso, they wouldn't have given him a 2 year deal.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

The one way contract is what kills me. Don't get it at all. But as I said before, youth movement will be on 3rd line, Stemp would prob not sign here to play 4th line min so I think it's a moot point by now.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What basis do you have for that "probably"?

He said he wanted to re-sign here but Jets chose to go with youth movement. I used my common sense and connected the dots that he wanted top 9 role, Jets wanted him on 4th line. He will not re-sign here for 4-5 minutes per game and youth movement was Petan Ehlers Armia in 3rd line role. As I said in other thread I doubt guys like Stemp, Goc, Tlusty will sign here for 4-5 min per game, and I have a feeling that Chevy and PMO would like to have one of them for the 4th line but can't get any of them to sign here. They will look for an opportunity much like Raymond got in TOR a few years ago. All IMO of course.

edit: If you look at last year how PMO used Stemp and Tlusty over Peluso and Hali it's obvious who he likes more, but I think the Jets are having a hard time getting those FA to commit to that role here.

Last edited:

Hulio

Sep 23, 2013
Any thoughts that Peluso was signed to be assigned to the Moose to be protection for our young guns? His contract will deter teams from scooping him on waivers. If anything happens to Thor, he can return to the Jets.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Me too. Because that is no better than last year's 4th line black hole plug line. If that's the case lets sign Stemp ASAP.

That's what I've been trying to get at. Don't think those guys are interested, they see what top 9 looks like here. My gut is telling me Chevy would like to, but takes two sides to make a deal.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
He said he wanted to re-sign here but Jets chose to go with youth movement. I used my common sense and connected the dots that he wanted top 9 role, Jets wanted him on 4th line. He will not re-sign here for 4-5 minutes per game and youth movement was Petan Ehlers Armia in 3rd line role. As I said in other thread I doubt guys like Stemp, Goc, Tlusty will sign here for 4-5 min per game, and I have a feeling that Chevy and PMO would like to have one of them for the 4th line but can't get any of them to sign here. They will look for an opportunity much like Raymond got in TOR a few years ago. All IMO of course.

edit: If you look at last year how PMO used Stemp and Tlusty over Peluso and Hali it's obvious who he likes more, but I think the Jets are having a hard time getting those FA to commit to that role here.

If we had a playable 4th line we wouldn't be restricted to playing them 4-5 mins a game....

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd offer Stemp a PTO and see how everything shakes out at TC. If we need him, sign him. If not, don't.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

It isn't like there is a long list of teams lined up to sign Stemp.

I don't buy for a second that every single capable improvement has turned down a deal.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It isn't like there is a long list of teams lined up to sign Stemp.

I don't buy for a second that every single capable improvement has turned down a deal.

How do you know there isn't a bunch of teams interested in him?

And not turned down a deal but got no interest in coming over here, hence not even talking to the GM, looking for better opportunity somewhere else, ala Raymond few years back. Being patient.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So you are expecting the Jet's 4th line to be?

Thor - Copp/Cormier - Peluso

I think it will be Thorbs or Peluso, but not both on the same line, and not often in the line-up at the same time.

Lawless' top three lines are the same as I suggested, so obviously I'll give him a thumbs up for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad