Sportsnet (possibly) dropping rights to Flames broadcasts after this year

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I figure TSN will pick those up. They already have all the other Canadian team's regional rights (Aside from the Oilers and Canucks)

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
It;s not just on air salaries expense they are looking to cut I guess.

I guess it was too early to know, but it's kind of amazing Keith Pelley was able to screw Rogers so badly with this deal, and parlay that deal into commissionership of the European golf tour.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would be happy if they sold off some of the rights to TSN. TSN had a good stable of broadcasters, and Rogers didn't pick up any of them. I find most Rogers broadcasts nauseating. They picked up the CBC duo of Hughson and Simpson, but other than Dave Randorf, I really can not tolerate their play by play.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
TSN the home of hockey The Calgary Flames getting anyway from Sportsnet / Leafsnet is the greatest thing that could happen for fans of the Flames .

So, do you think if Bell had exclusive NHL rights in Canada, you’d see fewer Leaf games on national broadcasts?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I would be happy if they sold off some of the rights to TSN. TSN had a good stable of broadcasters, and Rogers didn't pick up any of them. I find most Rogers broadcasts nauseating. They picked up the CBC duo of Hughson and Simpson, but other than Dave Randorf, I really can not tolerate their play by play.

This thread is discussing the Calgary Flames regional broadcasts not the Rogers’ national package. So, Rogers wouldn’t be selling off anything.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Would be stupid for Roger's to drop the Oilers seeing as they sponsor the arena as well. If they are saying there is room to grow for the regional Oilers broadcast, is that another way of saying not enough people currently watch the team even with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Would be stupid for Roger's to drop the Oilers seeing as they sponsor the arena as well. If they are saying there is room to grow for the regional Oilers broadcast, is that another way of saying not enough people currently watch the team even with McDavid and Draisaitl?

I think it means if the Oilers become good they'll draw more, but the Flames did well last year and they probably saw the peak the Flames can do? Don't see Rogers dropping the team with McDavid though.. that wouldn't make much sense.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
TSN the home of hockey The Calgary Flames getting anyway from Sportsnet / Leafsnet is the greatest thing that could happen for fans of the Flames .

Weird statement considering that the Leafs play in a different timezone and one of Van / Cal / Edm always gets the late national game.

Also most of the people SN hires for Leaf games absolutely hate the Leafs and it shows during coverage.

Personally I wish there was just more hockey on TV in general. If Leafs aren't playing I would love to be able to catch a Flyers/Pens game etc.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Curious, because regional rights is what build Sportsnet as a brand originally.

Given that this is public, and such negotiations are never made public, I think this is more a negotiating ploy than anything else. Think back to the Old Man in A Christmas Story threatening to go buy an artificial tree while at the tree lot...

That being said, for the right price I'm sure Bell/TSN would love to grab the regional rights to the Flames.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
So, do you think if Bell had exclusive NHL rights in Canada, you’d see fewer Leaf games on national broadcasts?
Not everyone in Canada is a Leaf fan Leafsnet cheers for the Leafs and ruins the watching experience for the fans of the other team . They stink at broadcasting the game and don't compare to TSN who have the best on air talent covering the game .

The NHL made a mistake by taking the money and ignoring what was best for the fans .

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Weird statement considering that the Leafs play in a different timezone and one of Van / Cal / Edm always gets the late national game.

Also most of the people SN hires for Leaf games absolutely hate the Leafs and it shows during coverage.

Personally I wish there was just more hockey on TV in general. If Leafs aren't playing I would love to be able to catch a Flyers/Pens game etc.
Leafsnet is Leafs tv in disguise a pig is still a pig no matter how much you dress it up.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why would they want to give up flames broadcast?
Because they don't see the economic upside in paying the going rate for the Flames right. I'm sure they'd have an interest at the right price. Until the Flames go elsewhere its just negotiations.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
They should fire a few more dozen people, to stop the network from drowning. Sportsnet has ALWAYS been a 2nd rate station.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
If a certain player was not on the Edmonton roster, would they have room to grow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad