Sportsnet (possibly) dropping rights to Flames broadcasts after this year

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would be stupid for Roger's to drop the Oilers seeing as they sponsor the arena as well. If they are saying there is room to grow for the regional Oilers broadcast, is that another way of saying not enough people currently watch the team even with McDavid and Draisaitl?

It's saying if the Oilers front office can figure out what they're doing and get the team into the playoffs, McDavid + playoffs = high ratings growth. People want to see the best players play in the post-season.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
the fewer games that hack outfit does the better off the nhl is . theyve not one good play by play guy besides k quinn and he only does oil . then sn wrecks the oil road games with their hideous studio when we should be seeing gene p like happens for the oil home games . how the excellent TSN isnt doing most nhl games is a crime . back when they had gord miller or chris cuthbert calling games constantly was the best nhl broadcast have been in ages

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's saying if the Oilers front office can figure out what they're doing and get the team into the playoffs, McDavid + playoffs = high ratings growth. People want to see the best players play in the post-season.
They own the Oilers playoff rights regardless through the national TV deal. Rogers controls the distribution of every single teams playoff games. For example, the Leafs local rights are split 50/50 between Rogers and Bell. But, there is a certain percentage of national games a year, which skews the total amount of regular-season Leafs games in Rogers favor (every HNIC broadcast is Rogers). During the playoffs, every single Leafs playoff game is on CBC through Rogers.

So, it has nothing to do with the playoffs. For some reason, Rogers sees more potential for growth in local broadcasts with Edmonton than they do with Calgary.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Because they don't see the economic upside in paying the going rate for the Flames right. I'm sure they'd have an interest at the right price. Until the Flames go elsewhere its just negotiations.
Might be a negotiation ploy. There might have been a clause in the agreement that allowed Rogers to extend the contract at a set price, but after having the rights, Rogers does not feel that the price to extend is worth it, thus the rights will go back out to market. See what TSN values the rights at.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
They own the Oilers playoff rights regardless through the national TV deal.....

So, it has nothing to do with the playoffs. For some reason, Rogers sees more potential for growth in local broadcasts with Edmonton than they do with Calgary.

I think Soundwave is using playoffs as a barometer of team success / relevancy. Not actually talking about playoff ratings. Or at least that's how I understood his comment.

If I were a betting man, I'm guessing Rogers saw a significant uptick in regular season regional ratings for oil games after their last playoff run back in 2016-17.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm going to make a bold prediction here:

If TSN picks up Calgary Flames broadcasting rights (which is a big if, and is not my prediction), look for Bell Media-owned Funny AM 1060 (which easily has the worst ratings in Calgary) to get rebranded as TSN 1060 Calgary, and also pick up the radio broadcast rights. Calgary does have an existing all-sports station in Sportsnet 960 the Fan, but there would seem to be synergies in owning a sports station and owning the broadcast rights, and the value of the radio rights is only a small fraction of the TV rights and thus can be an easy "throw in" if the overall price is right.

It does so happen the radio rights are also up at the end of the year: Sportsnet 960 The FAN and Calgary Flames Announce 7-Year Broadcast Rights Extension Through 2020 - Sportsnet.ca

Last fall's radio ratings (and look where Funny 1060 is last in every single category): Fall 2019 PPM Ratings for Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, & Montreal - Broadcast Dialogue

Listing of Bell Media's radio stations (which includes Funny): https://www.bellmedia.ca/radio/

Reactions: gotyournose

CBlake

Dec 22, 2014
Maybe we see the return of a true local package on a local OTA channel? What was the last local package in Canada not on either TSN or Sportsnet?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Would Hrudey move on to TSN or can he finally get booted off the air?
It'll depend but when Bell picked up the Canadiens regional games they just used their existing talent at TSN. I'd imagine TSN will do the same if they get the rights to Calgary's games.

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Would be stupid for Roger's to drop the Oilers seeing as they sponsor the arena as well. If they are saying there is room to grow for the regional Oilers broadcast, is that another way of saying not enough people currently watch the team even with McDavid and Draisaitl?
I believe they are saying that if Edmonton ever makes the playoffs consistently their ratings would be higher than a consistently in the playoffs Flames

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
Sportsnet is complete garbage I would kill for my games to be on TSN. Their lack of local programming and blacking out rival teams games makes enjoying Canadian hockey out west absolutely brutal.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Sportsnet is complete garbage I would kill for my games to be on TSN. Their lack of local programming and blacking out rival teams games makes enjoying Canadian hockey out west absolutely brutal.

Regional games and blacking out out-of-market regional games has nothing to do with Sportsnet (other than following the NHL's rules for them just as TSN does). It is an NHL team thing. Money from regional games goes directly to the team rather than to a central fund which is split. And teams don't want the competition from teams in other markets.

And you seem to imply that TSN provides some kind of local programming that Sportsnet does not. Perhaps you can enlighten me, because I cannot think of any.

Reactions: skeena1

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
tsn does a good job with the regional jets games . dennis beyek (sp?) and sarah orlesky are easy on the ears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->