News Article: Sportsnet.ca Islanders Preview

Smith31

Feb 19, 2003
Westchester
Visit site
I've been a die-hard fan since the mid 80's (poor me) and I haven't been this bulled up on the team since 2001. I think everybody collectively suffers from years of poor results and it's clouding everybody's judgement.

We have a real set of NHL forwards for the first time in over a decade (WITH Upside) and a real goalie. D and coaching the obvious questionmarks.

IMO a lot has to go wrong for us to have a "bad season" (last year)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I dont want it to be an issue either but Bailey's 35+ points are typically at the end of the season when the games no longer count and/or everyone else is hurt. He had 14 points in the first 41 games last season.

I agree that Grabo has been good for 50 pts per season but remember we are also out Vanek/Moulson which was good for 50+ pts per season

I love Grabner but other than than his rookie season he has never gotten more than 32 points.

I dont think scoring will be an issue but you have to see this writers point of view that the Islanders don't exactly have money in the bank with their secondary scoring.

Hell, who is to say that last season for Okposo wasnt just a career year. I want this team to be a playoff team as much as anybody but I will have to consider them on the outside looking in until they prove otherwise.

Islanders haven't played many games "that matter" in Bailey's tenure. Bailey's points may have come in games that didn't matter last year, but this year we could be saying, "Thank God Bailey got hot and clinched us home ice advantage". Just sayin'...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I've been a die-hard fan since the mid 80's (poor me) and I haven't been this bulled up on the team since 2001. I think everybody collectively suffers from years of poor results and it's clouding everybody's judgement.

We have a real set of NHL forwards for the first time in over a decade (WITH Upside) and a real goalie. D and coaching the obvious questionmarks.

IMO a lot has to go wrong for us to have a "bad season" (last year)

I agree, except the defense is such a HUGE question mark that it's quite possible that could be the only thing to go wrong for us to have a bad season. I agree on the rest though.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
It's partially the great defensive teams the goaltenders came from. Although Poulin/Nilsson didn't have strong years last year, the Islanders were simply awful without the puck and Halak/Johnson are not Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur.

But a healthy Nabokov is pretty close to what Halak/Johnson can realistically achieve on Long Island. It's an upgrade, for sure, but not a monumental upgrade that many here might be expecting.

I am a huge Halak fan and I'm glad he signed with the Islanders and I'm optimistic about him specifically and the season - cautiously optimistic I suppose. To me, Chad Johnson is a bit unproven, no strong reason to doubt or to show too much confidence at this stage. We shall see.

It's the team defense that bothers me most, always has. Capuano's system is still a high-pressure, forecheck hard game that's prone to costly mistakes. The team is still a small-ish team that's susceptible to big, forechecking teams that force turnovers, maintain zone pressure and can give the Isles fits.

I hope the Islanders show some maturity and commitment to team defense this season. That's part system and part personnel.

In short, like most seasons in recent memory, a lot has to go right for the Islanders this year if they're going to make the playoffs. This is the best team, on paper, in a long time, but ignoring the question marks is rather dishonest.

I expect Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Grabovski, Hamonic, Visnovsky and Halak to play the way they can and have.....and it'll be Nelson, Strome, deHaan (possibly Lee, Reinhart) to be the difference makers that will either push the Isles forward, or, stagnate.

Should be a really fun season.

The only thing I worry about with Halak is health. He played great with a ****** Washington defense last year as well. He put up good numbers when he was with Montreal behind an average defense.

He is a significant upgrade from Nabokov, at this stage of their careers.

The worry I have is that he has only played 50+ games once in his career (twice if you include the playoffs). I don't have nearly as much faith in Johnson, for the same reason you posted. If he is going to play 30+ games, we are counting on him being at least an average goaltender, something he hasn't proven he can do without Bergeron/Chara in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00