News Article: Sportsnet.ca Islanders Preview

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-preview/

I was ok with them ranking the Isles 21st. I was ok with them calling the Isles' goaltending a strength. But how the heck do you look at this team, with this defense, and call secondary scoring the biggest weakness? It doesn't even mention Frans Nielsen, who finished tied for 52nd among forwards in points, which is more than most 2nd line players. And he'll be on the third line.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I was ok with them ranking the Isles 21st. I was ok with them calling the Isles' goaltending a strength. But how the heck do you look at this team, with this defense, and call secondary scoring the biggest weakness? It doesn't even mention Frans Nielsen, who finished tied for 52nd among forwards in points, which is more than most 2nd line players. And he'll be on the third line.

I am still surprised to read how low the isles PK is ranked. One of the worst in the league.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005

While I understand what you are saying I think that if you are not an Islanders fan the secondary scoring still looks like a huge "if." Remember the Isles only have good secondary scoring if Kulemin, Grabner and Bailey rebound from bad seasons. Also if Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome can deliver in their second full season and dont suffer a sophmore slump. As an Islander fan you want to believe that those are givens but realistically secondary scoring is still a bit of a gamble.

That said I believe that secondary scoring is the biggest Question Mark and that the defense is the biggest weakness.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I am still surprised to read how low the isles PK is ranked. One of the worst in the league.

I want them to be top 15 in the league obviously and it's capable now that they don't have sieves in net anymore, but I am optimistic about our PK forwards. Nielsen, Grabner, Kulemin and Clutterbuck are all great PK forwards. I would really like to see Nielsen and Grabner become PK threats again and Clutterbuck proved he was good for 3.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I understand his point total was really great last season, but one thing all of the Nielsen chest thumpers need to realize is that he did have a significant amount of points on the first unit PP. I'm not sure if he's going to be on it this season or not, so I wouldn't be penciling him in for any amount of points.

Without his PP points, he's still one of the best 2nd line point producers, but it's just not the same.

I do agree with you though, I'm a lot less concerned about secondary scoring with Strome, Kuleman, Grabo being here for a full season in addition to Grabner, Bailey, and of course Nielsen.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

I wonder how Sportsnet predicted their finish last year.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
The PK is gonna be better with better goaltending....They are obviously tied together. Also I don't see the defense looking as bad with better goaltending and getting McDonald off the team for a full season. Secondary scoring I didn't think of as a concern at all...am I missing something? Basically 2/3rds or our 2nd line last year is going to be on our third line this year...The depth (barring injuries) should be very good. I'm excited and optimistic about this season and a playoff appearance.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

We have to be the least watched & cared about team from a media POV. Because they are always getting stuff wrong. To just ignore Frans is so stupid.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
While I understand what you are saying I think that if you are not an Islanders fan the secondary scoring still looks like a huge "if." Remember the Isles only have good secondary scoring if Kulemin, Grabner and Bailey rebound from bad seasons. Also if Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome can deliver in their second full season and dont suffer a sophmore slump. As an Islander fan you want to believe that those are givens but realistically secondary scoring is still a bit of a gamble.

That said I believe that secondary scoring is the biggest Question Mark and that the defense is the biggest weakness.

Nielsen is good for 45+ points a year.
Grabovski averages about 50 points a year.

Bailey averages 35+ points a year.
Grabner has scored less than 15 goals once in his career. And was on pace for 20+ every year but last.

None of those are first-line superstar numbers, but for 2nd and 3rd line players that is exactly what you hope for.

The Isles finished 17th in goalscoring last year. That was with Tavares being out long-term. Sure, they lost Vanek, but they only had him for half the year anyway.

I don't really see anyway that scoring is an issue.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I want them to be top 15 in the league obviously and it's capable now that they don't have sieves in net anymore, but I am optimistic about our PK forwards. Nielsen, Grabner, Kulemin and Clutterbuck are all great PK forwards. I would really like to see Nielsen and Grabner become PK threats again and Clutterbuck proved he was good for 3.

I easily blame half our woes on the PK and PP on coaching.

Did they fix it?
Did they really fix it, I mean?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I easily blame half our woes on the PK and PP on coaching.

Did they fix it?
Did they really fix it, I mean?

I blame goaltending for 60% of the PK, coaching and defenseman for the rest. The coaches never made the players adjust on gap control and teams were getting in too easily. Good Pking teams can make teams waste 45 seconds trying to re-enter the zone.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
Nielsen is good for 45+ points a year.
Grabovski averages about 50 points a year.

Bailey averages 35+ points a year.
Grabner has scored less than 15 goals once in his career. And was on pace for 20+ every year but last.

None of those are first-line superstar numbers, but for 2nd and 3rd line players that is exactly what you hope for.

The Isles finished 17th in goalscoring last year. That was with Tavares being out long-term. Sure, they lost Vanek, but they only had him for half the year anyway.

I don't really see anyway that scoring is an issue.

I dont want it to be an issue either but Bailey's 35+ points are typically at the end of the season when the games no longer count and/or everyone else is hurt. He had 14 points in the first 41 games last season.

I agree that Grabo has been good for 50 pts per season but remember we are also out Vanek/Moulson which was good for 50+ pts per season

I love Grabner but other than than his rookie season he has never gotten more than 32 points.

I dont think scoring will be an issue but you have to see this writers point of view that the Islanders don't exactly have money in the bank with their secondary scoring.

Hell, who is to say that last season for Okposo wasnt just a career year. I want this team to be a playoff team as much as anybody but I will have to consider them on the outside looking in until they prove otherwise.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I blame goaltending for 60% of the PK, coaching and defenseman for the rest. The coaches never made the players adjust on gap control and teams were getting in too easily. Good Pking teams can make teams waste 45 seconds trying to re-enter the zone.

How much of that can we really blame on the coaches though? Let's be honest we had lemons last year and no amount of squeezing would have turned that into lemonade. I mean does Amac need to be taught to close the gap on Shawn freaking Thorton?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
How much of that can we really blame on the coaches though? Let's be honest we had lemons last year and no amount of squeezing would have turned that into lemonade. I mean does Amac need to be taught to close the gap on Shawn freaking Thorton?

I agree with that too. Amac was personally was horrible but meanwhile Hickey was solid at stepping up. But there was a video that broke down how easily the forwards would let them in. My gripe with the dmen was their checking down low was hard enough.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrvfLEpkLDc

Very long. I only skipped around.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree with that too. Amac was personally was horrible but meanwhile Hickey was solid at stepping up. But there was a video that broke down how easily the forwards would let them in. My gripe with the dmen was their checking down low was hard enough.

Here's the video:

It was good, just really showed that the coach is inept at teaching/implementing the proper strategies to win on the PK.

Our forwards are too passive, and they don't ever react quickly enough to the flow of the play. What good is our PK speed if it's never used? Our diamond is very poorly executed because the forwards are very predictable and passive.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
tsn's articles are much better, at least when it comes to the Islanders and non-CDN teams. They don't miss much.

Last year Sportsnet predicted the NYI to be 4th in the division and a playoff team - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-2013-14-team-previews-metropolitan-division/ - wrong on both counts (but let's not think predictions mean much, regardless of who's making them, especially in Sept)

Isles might be a better team this year and hopefully the east will be as bad as last year - no guarantees. I know many Isles fans THINK the goaltending is much better, but I'm not 100% sold on that. I like Grabo/Kuly but again, I'm not sure how much they will help where the Isles were weakest - protecting leads, team defense, PK.

I think the Isles will score goals and I expect big steps forward from Brock Nelson, Ryan Strome, Calvin deHaan (at least as good as last year, not a step back) and Travis Hamonic. This should be enough to get the Isles into the playoffs, especially if Tavares stays healthy.

One thing about JT from what I've seen/heard since his injury. He seems like he's on a real mission this year. He sounds really focused and determined!

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
tsn's articles are much better, at least when it comes to the Islanders and non-CDN teams. They don't miss much.

Last year Sportsnet predicted the NYI to be 4th in the division and a playoff team - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-2013-14-team-previews-metropolitan-division/ - wrong on both counts (but let's not think predictions mean much, regardless of who's making them, especially in Sept)

Isles might be a better team this year and hopefully the east will be as bad as last year - no guarantees. I know many Isles fans THINK the goaltending is much better, but I'm not 100% sold on that. I like Grabo/Kuly but again, I'm not sure how much they will help where the Isles were weakest - protecting leads, team defense, PK.

I think the Isles will score goals and I expect big steps forward from Brock Nelson, Ryan Strome, Calvin deHaan (at least as good as last year, not a step back) and Travis Hamonic. This should be enough to get the Isles into the playoffs, especially if Tavares stays healthy.

One thing about JT from what I've seen/heard since his injury. He seems like he's on a real mission this year. He sounds really focused and determined!

What is your main question about the goaltender pickups? Is it more that they are unproven (both at their respective roles on our team) or that their weaknesses were clouded by elite defense and defensive systems?

I find myself with the same lingering worry that I think I've been subconsciously sweeping under the rug. But, there's no question in my mind that it will be better than last year. There is no way Halak is posting a sub-.890 save percentage. But, I am not as optimistic as predicting save percentages near either of their career averages.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
What is your main question about the goaltender pickups? Is it more that they are unproven (both at their respective roles on our team) or that their weaknesses were clouded by elite defense and defensive systems?

I find myself with the same lingering worry that I think I've been subconsciously sweeping under the rug. But, there's no question in my mind that it will be better than last year. There is no way Halak is posting a sub-.890 save percentage. But, I am not as optimistic as predicting save percentages near either of their career averages.

It's partially the great defensive teams the goaltenders came from. Although Poulin/Nilsson didn't have strong years last year, the Islanders were simply awful without the puck and Halak/Johnson are not Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur.

But a healthy Nabokov is pretty close to what Halak/Johnson can realistically achieve on Long Island. It's an upgrade, for sure, but not a monumental upgrade that many here might be expecting.

I am a huge Halak fan and I'm glad he signed with the Islanders and I'm optimistic about him specifically and the season - cautiously optimistic I suppose. To me, Chad Johnson is a bit unproven, no strong reason to doubt or to show too much confidence at this stage. We shall see.

It's the team defense that bothers me most, always has. Capuano's system is still a high-pressure, forecheck hard game that's prone to costly mistakes. The team is still a small-ish team that's susceptible to big, forechecking teams that force turnovers, maintain zone pressure and can give the Isles fits.

I hope the Islanders show some maturity and commitment to team defense this season. That's part system and part personnel.

In short, like most seasons in recent memory, a lot has to go right for the Islanders this year if they're going to make the playoffs. This is the best team, on paper, in a long time, but ignoring the question marks is rather dishonest.

I expect Tavares, Okposo, Nielsen, Grabovski, Hamonic, Visnovsky and Halak to play the way they can and have.....and it'll be Nelson, Strome, deHaan (possibly Lee, Reinhart) to be the difference makers that will either push the Isles forward, or, stagnate.

Should be a really fun season.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL

Here's the video:

This made me very mad and frustrating to watch I watched the whole thing and it just really pisses me off with how bad and unskilled our coaches are. With Grabners speed they need to let him fly down there and put pressure on etc etc he says everything in the video.

LOW HOCKEY IQ on our coaches par!

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK

Here's the video:

Just watched the whole thing in my lunch break. Wow! :amazed:

Either the system is too demanding for the players available and the coaches need to change it up or it flat out isn't being coached properly.

Either way the bench doesn't look good. :shakehead

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i honestly think it's the coaches. i observed Thompson essentially screaming in Cappy's ear, many times, with cappy just ignoring him. looked like a conflict of coaching styles, at least not very complimentary. maybe Cappy is sound technically on the chalkboard, but he seems to look overwhelmed during the play.

i know that systems need to be implimented and followed, but at this level, the highest level in the world, i believe that you have to let the players play. often, reactions are instinctual and split second, and cannot effectively be quantified or diagrammed. sometimes, the coach just has to sit back and watch to see who is playing good. screw the screaming and diagramming during gameplay. if someone is not playing good, sit his ass, and he will figure it out. explain it to him later.

i don't know. i really think that micro-dissection at this level should not be necessary.

i think we have decent warriors, but the chief and his generals, seen a bit lost. waiting a bit anxiously, to see how Cappy and Cronin work together.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005

Im not here to judge you on your opinions of Halak and Johnson but to say you arent sure that the goaltending is better is a bit overboard. The Isles would have been better with Snow and Dunham last year. Of course it was those two guys that thought it was a good idea to have a 40 year old goalie and a bad AHL goalie as the backup. Poulins numbers were not even good in Bridgeport.

With Grabo/Kulemin the one thing that a lot of fans miss is that they are both known to be strong defensive players. I think it will be a huge upgrade in that department.

I do agree that the Defense and PK is scary and I'm certainly not comfortable leaning so heavily on Visnovsky and deHaan.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I think it's a fair assessment on the whole, with a few flaws. First of all, secondary scoring shouldn't be an issue at all. Nielsen continues to be criminally overlooked. Secondly, it's nice to see someone give Halak the credit he deserves. His history, along with his more advanced metrics, indicate that he will be an enormous upgrade over what we've had. I haven't been this comfortable in our goaltending since DiPietro pre-injuries.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The thing that scares me is we took on a defensive coach from a team that was worse than us last season.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Just gotta believe Cap made switches, especially with Cronin in and Thompson back down.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00