Sportsnet: Sportsnet 650 ' Canucks listening to offers on Virtanen'

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
That isn’t what was reported at all. What Friedman said was Edmonton was interested in buying low on Virtanen at one point in the context of ‘selling low on Puljujarvi now would be a bad idea’. I guarantee Jones was never offered.

Nice? Regardless. Jones doesnt beat anyone out in our top 4. So were not moving a valuable asset for him.

Out of all the offers in this thread he probably moves the needle the least.

I like the other offers waay better, Zadorov Pionk Hagg even Honka.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think trading Zadorov would be a terrible idea, but I'm not convinced his value is at all higher than someone like Virtanen. Both young players, upside is there, both have clear downsides. If for whatever reason each team wants to move on then this the sort of change-of-scenery swap I could see realistically happening.
Honest question...what's it cost for the Leafs?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly would probably make for good trading partners w. Vancouver.
Hagg would be the guy of equal value.

Others have way higher value/upside....others not enough. And this is assuming they want someone who can play now not D prospects like Hogberg, Zamula, Ginning, etc...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nice? Regardless. Jones doesnt beat anyone out in our top 4. So were not moving a valuable asset for him.

Out of all the offers in this thread he probably moves the needle the least.

I like the other offers waay better, Zadorov Pionk Hagg even Honka.

Liking Honka more than Jones at this stage in their development is extremely questionable. Agreed Zadorov and Pionk are good offers. Don’t know a ton about Hagg but Flyers fans were not high on him as recently as last year.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Liking Honka more than Jones at this stage in their development is extremely questionable. Agreed Zadorov and Pionk are good offers. Don’t know a ton about Hagg but Flyers fans were not high on him as recently as last year.

As an Oiler fan what would you say is the very least you would give up for Puljujarvi??

Virtanen is just as high of a draft pick and has proven himself waay more than Puljujarvi and plays a style that a lot of playoff teams look for.

So whatever it is you would accept for Puljujarvi then multiply by 2 as to what Vancouver would want for Virtanen.

If youd do Puljujarvi for Caleb Jones then i have a nickel to sell you for a dollar.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Really can’t see this actually happening. Jake’s upside and potential is far superior to what’s being offered. At the same time I don’t think he’s worth the world as he has yet to prove a consistent top 9 nhl player. But where the Canucks are at I’d rather be patient and hang on to him (especially with these offers). Not to mention we won’t be adding a pick on either!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Matt Benning, 4th for Virtanen, come on uncle Jim ... bring Matt home

Whats with Oiler fans loving Virtanen but not willing to ante up.

Already mentioned...were not good trading partners. Oilers dont have good Dmen or intriguing dmen prospects.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
...Does this not sound exactly like the kind of guy Vancouver could use going forward? I don't get the point of this.

Reactions: EP40

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
...Does this not sound exactly like the kind of guy Vancouver could use going forward? I don't get the point of this.

If you read the OP...Van isnt shopping him just listening to offers.

And yes they can 100% use a player that plays the way JV plays especially when they make the playoffs but theres a bigger holes on defence that they are looking to fill and if JV can fetch that then id assume they would pull the trigger.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I highly doubt anything comes of this... sounds more like stirring up trade deadline rumours. Can’t hurt to listen but really don’t see a deal that makes sense for Canucks unless other team is over paying.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I highly doubt anything comes of this... sounds more like stirring up trade deadline rumours. Can’t hurt to listen but really don’t see a deal that makes sense for Canucks unless other team is over paying.

I think with the rise of Tom Wilson and the huge asking price for Ferland and Wayne Simmonds, teams are looking into Virtanen.

These type of players are very very valuable in a 7 game series

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Philly would probably make for good trading partners w. Vancouver.
That’s what I was thinking. Hagg doesn’t fit an Eastern style game.

Idk if it is still East Skill and West Physicality anymore, but I think Hagg would be better situated on a Western team rather than an Eastern one.

One of the harder and heavier hitters in the league and is one of the first ones to start mixing it up after the play is over, but still hasn’t gotten into his first NHL fight yet.

I’d do Hagg + pick for Virtanen. Virtanen would fill in the Simmonds spot once he’s traded. Morin would then fill in for Hagg once he returns.

Westsyde

Jan 7, 2019
I guess it depends on how desperate van is for defence, CAR could maybe do jake bean small plus or adam fox and bigger plus? I feel due to the struggle of Nylander and his large contract that his price would be pretty close to that?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
There’s is no chance Virtanen is traded for spare parts. We drafted him early, have developed him, and he is now finally to look like a player. If you have a young top 4 defenseman that stings to loose, fine, but spare parts are not welcome.

Some of these offers have been decent though... I just don’t see him being moved.

Last edited:

member 290103

The Canucks won't trade Virtanen for Jones. Dim Benning will want a d-man in return that he can put in the lineup right away. They already have two D-prospects that should be on the team next year that are currently in the minors/college. They won't want another - that's not to say Jones is not good enough, just not the right player.

To be honest, the thought of Dim making this move scares me. He values d-men like Gudbranson, Pouliot, Sbisa, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad