Sportsnet: Sportsnet 650 ' Canucks listening to offers on Virtanen'

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Sportsnet 650 Vancouver show Rintoul and Walker just reported that they have been told that the Canucks are not actively shopping Virtanen but due to numerous interest from teams, they are listening to offers on Jake Virtanen.

They also speculated that should the Canucks move on from Virtanen, the asking return and their #1 goal is to improve and re-vamp the defence.

Virtanen is a young fast, heavy on the body player who has taken a massive step this year. His offensive game is still raw and inconsistent but his 2way 200ft game has developed and florusihed.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't get to see enough Stars games. What's going on with him LT?

His mind processes the game at about a quarter of the speed his body does.

Classic “all-the-tools-no-toolbox” type of player. He’ll make one or two great plays a game, along with a dozen bone-headed ones.

He might have some value to a team with poor blue-line depth, but not much.

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Feels like a steal for Vancouver...

I think trading Zadorov would be a terrible idea, but I'm not convinced his value is at all higher than someone like Virtanen. Both young players, upside is there, both have clear downsides. If for whatever reason each team wants to move on then this the sort of change-of-scenery swap I could see realistically happening.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
before anyone starts making offers of their teams spare parts, try this exercise. What piece will kind of sting if your GM traded away that player?

Remember both sides have to feel like they gave up something in a trade.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I dont think this is a good idea for Vancouver.

In a few years i can see Virtanen being like Tom Wilson except with more skill but less agression and physicality.

Virtanen was a 40goal scorer in the WHL while being known as one of the most physical players.

He sufferef a should injury in his draft year and was rushed into the NHL which has stunted his development but this year he is starting to find his footing and you can see the potential.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
If Sakic wants to move Zadorov, this is the sort of swap I could perhaps see happening.
Unfortunately, I see this as a possibility, too. Vancouver can pair him up with Tryamkin when he comes back for a pair of Russian giants. We don’t really have anyone for Virtanen to play off of.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would not like it at all, but if Chiarelli still ran things I could see him offering Jones.

I hope we’re smarter than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad