Speculation: Sports Book USA has Hawks finishing season with 90.5 points

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Wait you think Hartman didn't play with an edge? He probably played with too much of an edge. He's just as undisciplined as Shaw. The Hawks traded back for Shaw because the GM is pretty unoriginal when it comes to players and their pro scouting has pretty much sucked over the last 5-7 years.
No, he played stupid, dumber than Shaw. He didn't do near as much dirty work as Shaw did, didn't give near as much effort, and didn't seem to get under people's skin nearly as much.

Hartman, most of the time, played like he wanted to be Patrick Kane, not Andrew Shaw.

When he did play like Shaw, which wasn't nearly consistent enough, he was effective, I'll give credit there.

Last edited:

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
It's really bizarre to me that some people choose to ignore the importance of learning and practicing a system BEFORE the season starts. We actually watched how the hawks struggled last season while they were learning the new system. I know a lot of people have said that if JC had become the new HC before the season, they would have made the playoffs, and they're MAYBE right, but it was pretty obvious that his system was much better than Q's had become and the Hawks played better once they got the hang of it.

6-6-3(keep in mind all the OT games, this really could have been even worse)
Q is fired
3-13-2
Visibly start playing better
23-12-4
Hit a wall+fateful west coast trip
4-4-3

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's really bizarre to me that some people choose to ignore the importance of learning and practicing a system BEFORE the season starts. We actually watched how the hawks struggled last season while they were learning the new system. I know a lot of people have said that if JC had become the new HC before the season, they would have made the playoffs, and they're MAYBE right, but it was pretty obvious that his system was much better than Q's had become and the Hawks played better once they got the hang of it.

6-6-3(keep in mind all the OT games, this really could have been even worse)
Q is fired
3-13-2
Visibly start playing better
23-12-4
Hit a wall+fateful west coast trip
4-4-3
Could have been better, as well.

And the 23-12-4 stretch had a huge chunk of games against some of the worst teams in the league IIRC. Not disagreeing with the overall point of your post though.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I expect a tight race in the central and we have plenty of guys with experience who can lead the way, I am just not sold on a team with Brent Seabrook playing any roll. Not only is he bad, he’s going to make another D go from average to below average.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The Hawks haven't won a playoff series in 4 years despite having 3 no doubt hall of famers on the roster, why would anyone be negative? I didn't say the Hawks would suck next year, I just said people acting like an over under of 90.5 is insulting need to step out of their bubble.

Hawks on pace for 79 points

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
In:
Shaw
de Hann
Maatta
Carpenter
Zack Smith
Lehner

Out:
Kunitz
Kruger
Kookoo
Cam. Freaking. Ward.
Anisimov
Hayden
Manning

The defense is going to be much improved.

When you have played a decade plus under the same exact system, it’s going to take some time to adjust.

I am trying to...I am seeing how learning a new hockey system mid stream is no big ****ing deal apparently..lol

When you completely change systems they are more complicated than you are implying. Also when you transition from systems that you've played in for 10 years you also lose a lot of the instincts you naturally develop over time. You take on this is fairly inaccurate.

I sometimes wonder how you're actually a hockey coach with some of the things you say. Not being a dick, just being honest...(although it probably still comes off dickish) You dismiss so many things that you probably shouldn't dismiss... It's kinda crazy. Although... not much in the way of systems being taught to 10-11 years old kids, so I kinda get it.

How long is it going to take them to adjust?

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
How long is it going to take them to adjust?

Know what's funny? You act like you're right about this, when you're actually not, and keep sarcastically saying it in every thread as if you were. The Hawks STILL couldn't adjust to Colliton's systems after an entire offseason, as evidenced by the changes made earlier this season, after which they showed improvement. The vets STILL talked about how they were having trouble adjusting to his systems in interviews this year. So... what exactly were you right about?

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
The Assembled team at the start of the season was s borderline playoff contender. It’s fair to say they have underperformed. Is it coaching or players? At this point it seems like it’s both. The top players haven’t played like top players and this is now becoming the norm the last couple seasons. The coaching staff has done nothing to suggest they have the ability to get the most of what they have to work with.

Stan did nothing to seriously address an issue that has been present for years - a lack of quality dmen. He seems to have a love for small, soft, puck carrying dmen and continually avoids dmen that have more of an interest in playing what is in their title - ‘defense’. When you build a team around that kind of defense don’t be surprised when you leak the most scoring chances in the league. And he can’t say those players aren’t available - they are and for a reasonable price. Every year in free agency there are bottom pairing dmen that are in the 2-3 million dollar range that play a steady game. Instead of looking for that kind of player he scouts the European leagues looking for more of the same. He finally started to address this issue with de haan and maata but it’s too little, too late.

This season goaltending has covered up a lot of issues with the team. They have probably earned 5-10 points that would not come if this team just had average goaltending. Take 5-10 points off their current total and they are near the bottom of the standings.

Now with a bunch of injuries to key people (Keith, de Haan, Maata), this season is quickly slipping away. At some point in the near future management is going to have to decide if it’s time to cut bait and focus on a high draft pick. Let’s face it the Hawks are now in a rebuild and they need real talent, not the current pretenders that they are perennially shuffling into the lineup.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Alright, that's enough idiocy that got deleted. Maybe this'll get unlocked in a bit once nerves calm down a tad.

Upd: Alright, reopened. Relax, folks.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad