Spooner & Khokhlachev

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Honestly, if Chia knows he can re-sign Soda I don't overly care if these to get dealt as long as they return a need (not an Antoine Vermettee...). Deal these two young centers for a couple of young wingers (or a young Dman). There must be clubs that have an access of young talent on the wing and could use a young centre. Gormley comes to mind on D. Seems like Arizona has a glut of good, young D.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
If neither of these guys can be a better NHLer than Greg Campbell right now then just waive them.

Campbell is in the running for worst NHL player this year. No exaggeration. By the eye test and by the advanced stats.

This team has struggled to score, is old and slow, and is easy to play against. Ryan Spooner would help with two of those things immediately.

Campbell has 6 points yet somehow has a plus minus of 0. I don't see Providence games but somebody will have to tell me what Spooner is doing down there or what I have seen up here that would make him a better 4th line center than anyone in the league. How many teams have a talented but very flawed little guy centering the 4th line?????????? Spooner obviously has great offensive talent but has shown to be rough in every other area and he doesn't belong on the wing. 21 games 3 goals 10 assists 13 points minus 8 hmmmm he is either struggling big time or has basically given up. I see no future for him in this organization unless we want to say goodbye to David, Patrice or Carl and I sure don't want to see that. With out an injury to a center there are two ways Spooner could possibly help 1---one of the top 2 powerplays 2- shoot outs .

Last edited:

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston
Marchand had a grand total of 1pt in his first 20 or so games if not mistaken and had this fan convinced the kid would be a massive draft bust?

Went into the summer, busted his arse, committed to CJ`s expectations, earned the trust of Claude and has been a 2nd liner since, love to see the same from Spooner

I like the guy, but I can also envision him moving to another franchise and never elevating his game to a point where fans here go "another Chia blunder"

Exactly my point. Don't take this as a shot at Marchand, but what did he do differently than Spooner to earn the long leash from Claude and Company?

I'm not about to put on the tin hat and declaren there's an organizational vendetta against Spooner, Koko, and Knight, but come on.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Yeah well he was pretty invisible when he got 9:30 & 12:00 min in the other 2 games. Guy was a liability more than anything. Which is understandable since he is a rookie and will get better. Same with Spooner, he had one or two flashes per game and nothing else. This team is fighting for playoffs, and those two don't offer anything right now that this team lacks. They might in the future, but not now. Pasta on the other hand makes things happen, and even though he isn't better at D than those two, he provides something that this team needs, offense. And not just a sprinkle here or there, but most of his shifts. Can anyone seriously say that Koko or Spooner have been better than Pasta in this year's call ups? Can't believe someone proposed a line of Koko-spoon-pasta. Talk about a 5 on 3 pp for the other team.

9 and a half minutes is what the 4th liners should get.

Chris Bourque who wasn't even drafted by Boston and had already failed to make the NHL in 2 other organizations was given 18 games by Julien.

Highway Man

Oct 8, 2014
Didn't Spooner score 2 goals in a pre-season game playing wing or did I just dream that?

"It was nice to see him score that goal, but if you watch the game, he’s still a liability defensively. A guy gets a quality shot in the slot so he needs to keep working on that part of his game. It’s OK to see a guy’s game offensively and we love his game offensively, but at the same time, you can score one goal but if you give up two, you’re not helping your team."

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My two favorite prospects. :cry: (Until I saw Pasta this summer. :naughty:)

The way I see it...

I never thought KOKO would be on the team this year. He's in just his second pro season, and I think the typical development model sees a kid play his first full year in the minors, getting used to the pro life and schedule, the second year they start to dominate and get called up for a cup of coffee to get a taste of what it's going to take to make it at the next level. Over the summer they get bigger and stronger and in their 3rd year they come in ready to knock the door down in camp. At least that's the model for high-end forwards. D take longer, and sometimes the grinder-types take longer too.

So for me, I don't get all the hullabaloo over Koko this year. He's still small and weak. He's not exactly a speed demon. He's got skill, but he doesn't have first line skill (like a Pastrnak). IMO, he's still got lots to learn about playing the pro game and that's what I saw from him when he got called up. 90% of confusion mixed in with 1 or 2 quick, heady plays that left me excited about his future.

I think Spooner, on the other hand, has been mismanaged by Chiarelli/Sweeney. Or maybe Spooner just has a bad attitude, I don't know. But for years, I kept asking why they don't teach him a little wing, develop some versatility in his game so that he won't be road blocked by Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin (now Soderberg). They seem to love Vermette/Soderberg/Peverley types who can do both so it seemed like a natural progression to me, but they never tried it. That always struck me as odd. I know folks for years were telling me "He doesn't like the wing, they're not going to force him to do it," but I always thought that was silly. I thought he'd much rather play the wing in the NHL than center in the minors. But this year, they've (FINALLY) been trying to teach him the wing and it hasn't gone well. Before he got injured, he didn't have a point in 5 games and a -3. He's either sulking or he's uncomfortable or he's frustrated.

It's a tough spot. He's not better than the guys that are here now. He's not a 4th line center, I can understand that. I know some folks want to see him play there but you can't complain about this team's lack of identity out of one side of their mouth, and then clamor for a soft playmaker to center the 4th line out of the other. So where does he play if he can't learn the wing?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Cam didn't pick GM or coach and is on record of what he thinks of style - he wants up tempo aggressive offensive based game with contact.

Newly wants what he brought - offense based and physicality

I guess this is where I struggle with Cam. I get that he didn't pick his GM or coach but I have a new boss who didn't pick me but I will clearly still follow her orders on how she wishes to move our work unit/team forward.

Neely says he was up tempo aggressive offensive based game with contact. Not to send petty but Duh!!! which NHL executive wouldn't. He has been President for four drafts and I think its safe to say that he hasn't draft one "aggressive" Cam Neely style player and any of his top picks in any of those four drafts. I love the Hamilton Koko draft, but Subban then a 5 foot 7 Dman doesn't fit that need. Next year Arnnesson and Cehlarik doesn't exactly scream Big Bad aggressive B;s and as much as Pasta looks like a keeper and who knows about Donato its not like I've seen Cam place his stamp moving forward with this team. all that to go back to my original thought which is I'm not overly happy with this team but WTF is Cam doing.
Honestly I would think you should be screaming about Cam because ultimately is it not him that should be forcing/ordering his subordinate coach and GM to give a give a guy like Knight an opportunity. Now I've never seen him play as a pro but based on your comments and those of other he seems to be exactly what you would think Cam would want on this team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Exactly my point. Don't take this as a shot at Marchand, but what did he do differently than Spooner to earn the long leash from Claude and Company?

I'm not about to put on the tin hat and declaren there's an organizational vendetta against Spooner, Koko, and Knight, but come on.

he adhered to CJ`s demand for playing responsible D

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

The way I see it...

I never thought KOKO would be on the team this year. He's in just his second pro season, and I think the typical development model sees a kid play his first full year in the minors, getting used to the pro life and schedule, the second year they start to dominate and get called up for a cup of coffee to get a taste of what it's going to take to make it at the next level. Over the summer they get bigger and stronger and in their 3rd year they come in ready to knock the door down in camp. At least that's the model for high-end forwards. D take longer, and sometimes the grinder-types take longer too.

So for me, I don't get all the hullabaloo over Koko this year. He's still small and weak. He's not exactly a speed demon. He's got skill, but he doesn't have first line skill (like a Pastrnak). IMO, he's still got lots to learn about playing the pro game and that's what I saw from him when he got called up. 90% of confusion mixed in with 1 or 2 quick, heady plays that left me excited about his future.

I think Spooner, on the other hand, has been mismanaged by Chiarelli/Sweeney. Or maybe Spooner just has a bad attitude, I don't know. But for years, I kept asking why they don't teach him a little wing, develop some versatility in his game so that he won't be road blocked by Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin (now Soderberg). They seem to love Vermette/Soderberg/Peverley types who can do both so it seemed like a natural progression to me, but they never tried it. That always struck me as odd. I know folks for years were telling me "He doesn't like the wing, they're not going to force him to do it," but I always thought that was silly. I thought he'd much rather play the wing in the NHL than center in the minors. But this year, they've (FINALLY) been trying to teach him the wing and it hasn't gone well. Before he got injured, he didn't have a point in 5 games and a -3. He's either sulking or he's uncomfortable or he's frustrated.

It's a tough spot. He's not better than the guys that are here now. He's not a 4th line center, I can understand that. I know some folks want to see him play there but you can't complain about this team's lack of identity out of one side of their mouth, and then clamor for a soft playmaker to center the 4th line out of the other. So where does he play if he can't learn the wing?

Koko can play a gritty game- dogged more like it....active and all over the place.

The Bruins in one fell swoop next year could get super young just by putting Koko and Pasta together. Kelly will be here still, so he can be babysitter/defensive presence on the line
for his final year of that contract

Vermette would be Claude's dream- I'd actually worried about his health if they told him they acquired him he would be so happy

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

The way I see it...

Arizona:sarcasm:

Great post by the way

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Koko can play a gritty game- dogged more like it....active and all over the place.

The Bruins in one fell swoop next year could get super young just by putting Koko and Pasta together. Kelly will be here still, so he can be babysitter/defensive presence on the line
for his final year of that contract

Vermette would be Claude's dream- I'd actually worried about his health if they told him they acquired him he would be so happy

If Kelley is here next year, that really would seem to kill the idea of money being around for Soda.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

Sheer speculation on my part, but perhaps he did what the coaches asked of him?

Last edited:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I said this in another thread, but got no discussion.

They will not get a 1st line winger for DK.
Why not try Bergeron on his wing. Fill out the 1st and 2nd lines
with the top 4 players, with Soda centering the 2nd line.
Bring Spooner up for the 3rd line, speed and skill.
Bring Koko up for the 4th line, speed, skill and more grit (from what I have read)
than Spooner .

I know Bergeron on the wing makes the 2nd line weaker, and the team isnt' as
strong up the middle but it brings more offense and speed to the team.

If if this was the best idea in the world, we know that Spooner and Koko are
buried in Prov so it isn't realistic.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Garbage men don't need to drive Ferrari's. Both guys are going to be NHL players, but I don't think it will be with the Bruins. The Bruins just aren't constituted in a way that they can play an effective role right now. It would be strapping bottle rockets to a steam roller. Spooner has definitely been mismanaged, but I think Koko can stick around and probably get a shot on the third line next year. It just is what it is at this point.

My guess is they will keep Koko around just in case they can't sign the Yeti (which I will be very unhappy with) unless they decide to extend Kelly for that spot? :sarcasm:

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
One of Spooner/Khoko should have been given the 4th line centre spot to start the year and let them grow, creating offense and learning from their mistakes. I know Campbell was injured to start the year but he should have been traded as soon as healthy to any takers.

But the problem is Claude. The first mistake the kids make on defensive coverage they are either called out, benched or sent back down to Providence. Great for building confidence. As long as Claude is still the coach I do note see either of these players regulars on the B's squad.

After getting rid of Thorty because they didn't need the "fistacuffs", I really thought they would change their mentality of the 4th line and go speedy like this, but it got StoneCloded. I would have loved watching that develop through the season to.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I said this in another thread, but got no discussion.

They will not get a 1st line winger for DK.
Why not try Bergeron on his wing. Fill out the 1st and 2nd lines
with the top 4 players, with Soda centering the 2nd line.
Bring Spooner up for the 3rd line, speed and skill.
Bring Koko up for the 4th line, speed, skill and more grit (from what I have read)
than Spooner .

I know Bergeron on the wing makes the 2nd line weaker, and the team isnt' as
strong up the middle but it brings more offense and speed to the team.

If if this was the best idea in the world, we know that Spooner and Koko are
buried in Prov so it isn't realistic.

Speed, skill and a line(s) who an opposing coach would immediately toss his best out against to expose defensively seeing two kids playing the middle

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Hamilton doesn`t see big minutes?

Saad plays very mature defensively as does Tiffoli, both teams coaches recognize the importance of playing 3 zone hockey, both play some time SH as well as their coaches have a trust in them

I don`t believe Claude requires his skilled players to be pure grinders, but I will suggest he expects them to be, at the very least, willing to receive or give a hit to make a play for the better of the team and to commit to their defensive responsibility when in their own zone, hardly a massive expectation

We have a winner!!!:hockey:

And if a player can't or won't do these things Claude won't play him for long or at all. Nor should he.

It isn't that Claude "doesn't like" young players or skill players. He doesn't like young players or skill players who won't do these things. In his system everyone has to be on the same page in terms of execution or it won't work. There is no room for free lancers.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
My biggest gripe about players like this here is if you aren't going to use them to their strengths, stop drafting players like them. These players will never have "size", never be strong muckers and grinders in the corners and never be Selke candidates.

Draft differently or adapt your system.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
[/B]

We have a winner!!!:hockey:

And if a player can't or won't do these things Claude won't play him for long or at all. Nor should he.

It isn't that Claude "doesn't like" young players or skill players. He doesn't like young players or skill players who won't do these things. In his system everyone has to be on the same page in terms of execution or it won't work. There is no room for free lancers.

nope and you, me and many others here could easily produce a list of young players he has given more than a chance to earn their keep in the lineup

Doesn`t mean I agree with every decision CJ has made, but I`m still not close to being anywhere as impressed with Spooner`s play as others have in his time in Boston. Sporadic signs of great vision overshadowed by play in the defensive zone where he`s looked completely lost which isn`t necessarily shocking for a younger player who`s position is more demanding than if he were on the wing

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
nope and you, me and many others here could easily produce a list of young players he has given more than a chance to earn their keep in the lineup

Doesn`t mean I agree with every decision CJ has made, but I`m still not close to being anywhere as impressed with Spooner`s play as others have in his time in Boston. Sporadic signs of great vision overshadowed by play in the defensive zone where he`s looked completely lost which isn`t necessarily shocking for a younger player who`s position is more demanding than if he were on the wing

I don't always agree with him either especially with his line choices :shakehead:facepalm:

And I always get back to this- if a young/skill player is given an opportunity it is then up to him to make the most of it to the point where the coach can't keep him out of the line up. Spooner sure as hell didn't do that during his stint in Boston.

People like to talk about Claude's "binkies"- Kelly, Campbell, etc. I think there are a few people here for whom Spooner & Koko are their "binkies". :):nod:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't always agree with him either especially with his line choices :shakehead:facepalm:

And I always get back to this- if a young/skill player is given an opportunity it is then up to him to make the most of it to the point where the coach can't keep him out of the line up. Spooner sure as hell didn't do that during his stint in Boston.

People like to talk about Claude's "binkies"- Kelly, Campbell, etc. I think there are a few people here for whom Spooner & Koko are their "binkies". :):nod:

still laugh when I hear "binkies".

He`s doing what so many other coaches would do if in his place, they have a vet who knows the system, plays the system and in general, is good within that system. Not many would supplant that vet with a kid who is still very much a work in progress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad