Spooner & Khokhlachev

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ok, had enough after watching the Bruins get their nuts out skated last night, Glad they won but If Claude is going to bench Griffith and Cunningham this jalopy ain't making it across country to Playoff World. You can't play 9-10 forwards. Going tonight and curious about the legs here. I believe their heads are there- they took the body in the first period, running around and a bit helter skelterish but they were trying- actually playing outside their patented approach even when going well which is a characteristic of desperation and angst.

Ryan Spooner and Alexander Khokhlachev warts and all are two players in this organization who can skate and have creativity. I find it amazing at an aggregate age of 22 Boston could move one or both.

Spooner is no threat to Bergeron's Selke, is not a left wing, and is not lacking hockey smarts. But he's a guy who 2 years ago was first team all rookie center in AHL and in two AWAY preseason contests but three months ago was first star against the Islanders and third against the Canadiens.

The buzz is Spooner could be headed out and Koko has been discussed. Pathetic

The smear campaign against Spooner has been undertaken and Fluto in a paragraph in his Sunday Notes was quick to point out how ineffective Koko was on his recent stint in Boston

I know a coach is loyal to players who he has had success with- and they likely will remain loyal when times get tough for the coach- but the Bruins need speed and skill and these two and David Pastrnak represent the most obvious prospects

Last edited:

acr*

Garbage men don't need to drive Ferrari's. Both guys are going to be NHL players, but I don't think it will be with the Bruins. The Bruins just aren't constituted in a way that they can play an effective role right now. It would be strapping bottle rockets to a steam roller. Spooner has definitely been mismanaged, but I think Koko can stick around and probably get a shot on the third line next year. It just is what it is at this point.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well, it's like the 37th game they've had on back to back nights this season, at least that's what Claude says, so you know exactly what you're going to get tonight. Strong first 10 minutes and then a disappearing act over the next 50...:laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Garbage men don't need to drive Ferrari's. Both guys are going to be NHL players, but I don't think it will be with the Bruins. The Bruins just aren't constituted in a way that they can play an effective role right now. It would be strapping bottle rockets to a steam roller. Spooner has definitely been mismanaged, but I think Koko can stick around and probably get a shot on the third line next year. It just is what it is at this point.

I couldn't disagree more. They could both help by adding speed, which this team is lacking. The issues isn't that the team can't use them, it's that the coach won't. He can't live with the possible negatives that come with them, no matter the offensive upside. That's on him, and that's on Chiarelli for not making him integrate those guys.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I'll reserve any judgement until,

a) Spooner is actually dealt, and
b) What the return is.

I feel the same way with the Boychuk trade. We weren't going to be able to afford him, so I'm curious to see what 2 draft picks will turn into versus what many of us believe Johnny Rocket would have provided us this season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Well said - this is how I see it, although hearing Koko name out there makes me uneasy. Would not mind seeing Koko-Pasta next year with a LW vet to keep the defensive gaffes to a minimum while they adjust

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
Anybody else think that just one of Spooner/Koko gets moved and whoever is left becomes our 3rd line centre next year?

I would love to sign Soderberg and he may take a bit of a discount to stay here I guess, but it will be pretty hard to turn down when he gets offered 5+ mil by the Oilers or some other team desperate for a top 6 centre.

jdz

May 22, 2013
They're both centers and our team already has 3 beast centers who get the bulk of the minutes anyway.

The difference that would be made by giving Campbell's minutes to one of these guys on the fourth line would be minimal, not to mention them both being iffy on the defensive side of the puck. I actually think koko is the more intriguing prospect out of the two.

Our problems are not at center, they are a lack of depth on the wings and the defensemen seem to have forgotten how to break the puck out of our zone with any speed or precision. I would like to see a return of Morrow when he's healthy, as I think he looked good on the puck when he played in the big team and made some good passes.

As for Cunningham, Zach trotman, knight, and the rest: meh.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
I don't know what Claude Julien has against young players. My goodness, he would rather play Simon Gagne ( no offence ) than give Spooner or Koko as much of the same amount of games and ice time ? Why ? Experience ? He has nothing left to give at the NHL level. I don't think he should come back.
If Boston gets rid of Ericksson, then what ? Who slots in with Carl ? Bad enough Kelly is on there. Do they put Caron there too ? If that happens I don't think Carl will want to re-sign here. If that is what he has to work with then why would he want to. He can go to another team and get the second line center role and much better wingers to work with.
The bottom line is...Julien needs to go. It has been said many times that the NHL is an ever changing game and Julien will never evolve with it and adapt.

Best of luck to Spooner and Koko. You guys deserve better.

Hell...We ALL deserve better !!!

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. They could both help by adding speed, which this team is lacking. The issues isn't that the team can't use them, it's that the coach won't. He can't live with the possible negatives that come with them, no matter the offensive upside. That's on him, and that's on Chiarelli for not making him integrate those guys.

So you want to bring them up and play them on the wing?

acr*

They can't play defense and the system is the system. It isn't being changed midway through a season with the team barely hanging on. Because of that, right or wrong, this team has no use for them.

I think Spooner should have had a better chance out of training camp. He was mismanaged. Chia said we were going to build in more speed to the line up last year after the loss to the Habs. That didn't happen. All we did was get rid of a lot of our toughness and physicality. What we were left with was a steaming pile of nothing and a bunch of heartless players injected into a line up to complement an aging/injured/distracted core. Then Chia said we needed to get heavier. That hasn't happened yet either, but I think that Chia feels like the bones of the roster are still closer to being a physical team than skill team. I just don't think they are needed with what this team is.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
I would seriously start doubting the front office if they get rid of two of the team's best prospects. However, I don't think Koko or Spooner are the answer to the team's immediate problem (if they were the callups last night they would have been stapled to the bench just like Griffith and Cunningham).

Right now the team is fighting a mental battle trying to "right the ship." Claude needs the vets to stop running around like headless chickens and instead play with commitment within the system. The system works, but it requires clear heads, dedication, and a full physical effort, something the Bruins have been lacking for most of the season. Calling up more rookies is not going to help this.

I expect the Bruins to get their **** together soon. And when that happens I expect to see them start plugging the more talented Providence players into the lineup, but only when the environment in the big club is more stable and the young players have a better opportunity to make a contribution. What I don't want to see is Koko and/or Spooner called up for ineffective stints while the team is still flailing around; that doesn't do anyone any good.

And I would l like to reiterate: I will be very disappointed if they trade Spooner and/or Koko unless the return impresses the hell out of me. The Boychuk trade was a terrible mistake, and we don't need any more of those this season. My morale is deep enough in the crapper as it is.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They can't play defense and the system is the system. It isn't being changed midway through a season with the team barely hanging on. Because of that, right or wrong, this team has no use for them.

I think Spooner should have had a better chance out of training camp. He was mismanaged. Chia said we were going to build in more speed to the line up last year after the loss to the Habs. That didn't happen. All we did was get rid of a lot of our toughness and physicality. What we were left with was a steaming pile of nothing and a bunch of heartless players injected into a line up to complement an aging/injured/distracted core. Then Chia said we needed to get heavier. That hasn't happened yet either, but I think that Chia feels like the bones of the roster are still closer to being a physical team than skill team. I just don't think they are needed with what this team is.

They won't change now, but that wasn't the plan. Like you said, originally they were going to incorporate the young guys with speed and offensive upside on the bottom 6. That went away really fast and a sub par team with no speed, no physical presence, and no offense is what we were left with. Either way you cut it, it's a colossal failure by PC and Julien. This should never have happened.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Anybody else think that just one of Spooner/Koko gets moved and whoever is left becomes our 3rd line centre next year?

I would love to sign Soderberg and he may take a bit of a discount to stay here I guess, but it will be pretty hard to turn down when he gets offered 5+ mil by the Oilers or some other team desperate for a top 6 centre.

I also think Soderberg will play elsewhere next year. This year I'd like to see both Spooner and Koko get some NHL experience playing C on the 3rd line.

acr*

Well said - this is how I see it, although hearing Koko name out there makes me uneasy. Would not mind seeing Koko-Pasta next year with a LW vet to keep the defensive gaffes to a minimum while they adjust

Have no fear. I'll be there.

8467967.jpg

acr*

They won't change now, but that wasn't the plan. Like you said, originally they were going to incorporate the young guys with speed and offensive upside on the bottom 6. That went away really fast and a sub par team with no speed, no physical presence, and no offense is what we were left with. Either way you cut it, it's a colossal failure by PC and Julien. This should never have happened.

Agreed. I'm hoping Pasta may be able to inject a touch of this. I hope they are telling him right now to shoot and not be deferential to anyone with the puck. If that happens, I think he is a bit better fit right now at this moment.

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
One of Spooner/Khoko should have been given the 4th line centre spot to start the year and let them grow, creating offense and learning from their mistakes. I know Campbell was injured to start the year but he should have been traded as soon as healthy to any takers.

But the problem is Claude. The first mistake the kids make on defensive coverage they are either called out, benched or sent back down to Providence. Great for building confidence. As long as Claude is still the coach I do note see either of these players regulars on the B's squad.

2KA

Oct 15, 2013
Saskatchewan
I also think Soderberg will play elsewhere next year. This year I'd like to see both Spooner and Koko get some NHL experience playing C on the 3rd line.

I know that Soderberg is comfortable here and maybe playing with his countryman and good buddy Loui will be a draw for him to resign. But he will get offered a lot more on the open market with the chance to play a more prominent role as a top 6 forward. He will be gone in my opinion.

This makes one of Spooner or Koko our 3rd line centre next year which I would be happy with. I do hope it's Koko. Their is no room for both of them and they will have nothing left to do at the AHL level after this season so one will be moved either this year or in the offseason.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
They can get called up, but Claude will NEVER play them. You won't see them in the third period, maybe a few shifts in the first and second. And God forbid, they make a mistake, they will never play for the Bruins again. But, hey, if you want to plug a plumber like Florek, Cunningham, etc. then welcome to the first line guys. I know you won't score, but as long as you skate your lane and backcheck, you have a job with Claude.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So you want to bring them up and play them on the wing?

This would be relevant had their first line center not been out half the games this season. During that time, they could have very easily slotted all the centers up and let Spooner or Koko play meaningful minutes on the 3rd or 4th line, where they would be going against lower competition, and mistakes wouldn't be as high impact. But they didn't, because why do what's best for the team in the long run?

BudMovin*

They would take time away from Clode's binkys (Kelly, Campbell). We can't have that.

I found it funny that all forwards but a few phoned it in last night, yet the two young guys got the axe....but Clode doesn't have any favoritism to vets I've been told.

Vdub

Live Free or Die
Dec 21, 2013
Well, it's like the 37th game they've had on back to back nights this season, at least that's what Claude says, so you know exactly what you're going to get tonight. Strong first 10 minutes and then a disappearing act over the next 50...:laugh:

This should be the title of the post game GDT!:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad