OT: Spoiler Alert [Spoiler Alert ((Spoiler Alert))] (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thread)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see a series set in The Legend of Zelda world where they're at war with Ganondorf and Link is a mythological being.
new Captain N series or nothing
captainn.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Working tomorrow and I'm going to have to avoid GoT until I get back. Urgh.
The boys are having a GoT party tonight. Don't worry. You are only going to have to avoid spoilers for the biggest ever game of thrones episode that filmed in the past 8 years.
You got this =]

Tonight:
There will be blood.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Just a question...what’s up with game of thrones? What makes it so popular? Never watched it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just a question...what’s up with game of thrones? What makes it so popular? Never watched it.

The first few seasons hit all the big notes when it came to shocking plot twists, dramatic dialogue, and lots of nudity and death. Also a lot of cool fantasy visuals and character arcs. It's basically a big "Does It All" drama with a very high level of execution on the details - and one that came with a ready made fanbase ready to hype it to its friends thanks to the books' success

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
The first few seasons hit all the big notes when it came to shocking plot twists, dramatic dialogue, and lots of nudity and death. Also a lot of cool fantasy visuals and character arcs. It's basically a big "Does It All" drama with a very high level of execution on the details - and one that came with a ready made fanbase ready to hype it to its friends thanks to the books' success
Thank you.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The big moments really made it a great water cooler show. That's the one big thing that gets lost with binge watching shows.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I have zero expectations for the Witcher show. I think they’re going to make it cringe as hell actually, and I’m somebody who’s TW3 through every year since 2016.

On the other hand, all I watch is JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure now :help:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Apologies. Fixed.
How long is considered spoilers regarding GoT?

Good question. But since this isn't a GoT-spoiler-centric thread, I think it's best to put that stuff in the spoilers tags. The Entertainment board threads are where you're probably good discussing in the "open" about the latest episodes.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I have zero expectations for the Witcher show. I think they’re going to make it cringe as hell actually, and I’m somebody who’s TW3 through every year since 2016.

On the other hand, all I watch is JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure now :help:
Witcher series has zero all to do with the games. It is based on the books.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Everyone ready for the biggest episode of Game of Thrones ever tonight!!??

The Clegane showdown is a guarantee tonight. Finally!!!!!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's like GoT is working off of a solid outline of main plot points but is taking shortcuts everywhere they possibly can. Wait, I think that's exactly what's happening. Great production value, good "moments" but too much lazy writing and nothing feels earned like it should.

Also they just said f*** it to Jaime's character development over the entire series

Gods I hope he finishes the books.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's like GoT is working off of a solid outline of main plot points but is taking shortcuts everywhere they possibly can. Wait, I think that's exactly what's happening. Great production value, good "moments" but too much lazy writing and nothing feels earned like it should.

Also they just said **** it to Jaime's character development over the entire series

Jamie and Dany got screwed with their story arc's.
Jamie I can never see doing that.
Dany, for 7 seasons, fought against what she just turned into. If they were going to go the Walter White, breaking bad route, do it over a season or two, not 3 episodes.

Other than those two glaring issues, holy shit what a depressing episode this was. Totally awesome and jaw dropping production value. I wouldn't be surprised if half the budget went into this episode. It had feature film quality cgi and production.

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Also they just said **** it to Jaime's character development over the entire series

It’s rushed and messy at this point. Feels disjointed and nothing like the brilliantly done earlier seasons whatsoever. And while that’s a damn shame, also goes to show how hard it is to wrap up TV series well.

That said, on pure entertainment value this was a fun episode for the fighting scenes, production value and Clegane Bowl. Personal favorite of the season.

Actually think this was one of the better moments... showed Jaime was more an addict to Cersei and being a “Lannister” than he was a character like Tyrion IMO

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Season 7 had parts that made no sense, but it at least felt like they were building to a coherant ending.

Season 8 just feels like they literally don't give a f*** anymore. The series ended after episode 3 this season, and even that had serious question marks as far as storytelling goes. The rest is just a meme at this point.

It's too bad GRRM is going to die before he finishes his books, because I'll just be resorting to headcanoning the rest of this story. f*** this shit they gave us.

#notmyending.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People here are mad because they didn't get the resolution they had hoped to see, big f***ing whoop.

Cry some more. I am only coming in to post this because I made the mistake of opening the entertainment thread to read some vagina monologues bull shit by someone named vex and some other dip shits about female writers (let's not forget who wrote Fifty Shades and Twilight as well as most of these horse shit YA novels that are now movies...oh right, who gives a f***? Men and women are both good and horrible writers, doesn't mean a lick about the issues in GOT).

1. Dany turning was foreshadowed all through the show, if you literally were shocked by this as a fan, go to sleep, you're too daft to continue the rest of this show and will be like that moron twitter folks that whine about everything that didn't happen the way they wished it would.
2. Jon being boring? The guy literally has no clue what to do, he never knew why his so called Dad didn't love him enough to tell him who his mother really was, then he finds out who he really is, oh before he gets shanked and is brought back and then tries to convince that world that people that died can come back and kill you as white walkers, etc...now he's in love with his aunt, but also needed to be honest with people that are also his family and Dany is felt betrayed because of her own selfish reasons and some how, Jon is lame? Nah. I get it, that actor is not great, but Jon's character, people really are not following.
3. Cersei thought she had the upper ground, she literally killed a Dragon with her army, she then felt the reality of it all and when it came down to everything crumbling around her, she sees the one person that always loved her and she tried to kill him, standing there trying to save her, of course she would be emotional. That was written well.
4. This one annoys me a ton, not the scene, but the lack of understanding by the tardo's. Euron literally just swam in armor, to shore. He sees a one handed dude, based on exhaustion vs one hand, it was basically even at that point. Jamie was a great warrior with two hands, with one, he was adequate enough at worse. People acting like his line was stupid didn't get his obnoxious character at all.
5. It was always leading up to Jon coming to terms that being reluctant was never going to work, that he would have to make the toughest decision of his life and betray the person he loves and calls his queen. The final episode should be interesting, either Arya kills Dany or Dany kills Arya and Jon snaps, or whatever it is...I'll watch and be happy with it.

People acting like D&D didn't write this and that also never really read the f***ing books. GRRM is notorious for fleshing out far too much shit and then losing track and you are left wondering what the f*** happened to that character? Etc. He hasn't finished more books because he probably lost track of the mundane shit he's stretched out far too much and forgot how to really wrap it up.

It's like no one saw and read Nightflyers to know he's not some god send at writing.

The fact that people call him the American Tolkien is probably the dumbest shit I have ever seen stated. Tolken's fossilized toilet paper from a heavy night of drinking with a load of fossilized mud butt shit is more intelligently written than anything GRRM's farted out on paper.

PS @KIRK I see you liked a post that blamed Rutherford for if Malkin wants out. I forgot when Rutherford was behind the coach's bench constantly f***ing up who his wingers are while 100% bending to the will of whatever the f*** Crosby wanted as his wingers like Rust and Simon over guys that worked. The blame game is insanely stupid, as is laying it on a guy like Rutherford for the issues, Sullivan has so much to do with this turd storm, it'll be f***ing hilarious when JR makes the moves people here want and then Sully burns that shit down so idiots like Pixies and his bandit of morons trip over themselves to their weekly circle jerk of blaming anyone but Sully for the issues.

Also the dude that said JJ For Brown, I'm with you bud. 100% with you, Brown would be useful with Sid, but then you need to move Horny out and Kessel out and find wingers for Malkin and a winger you only keep on the 3rd line and be happy with him there.

OUM4Kkd.gif

Reactions: KIRK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Honour Over Glory

I laughed at the mountain. He was stronger and more bad-ass than the Night King. Harder to kill even!

Or the only thing to survive the attack tonight was Arya and a white horse for her to ride out on. hahah... Why not just make her walk out of the area on foot and find a horse in a stable a mile or two away... I mean jeez.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Honour Over Glory

I laughed at the mountain. He was stronger and more bad-ass than the Night King. Harder to kill even!

Or the only thing to survive the attack tonight was Arya and a white horse for her to ride out on. hahah... Why not just make her walk out of the area on foot and find a horse in a stable a mile or two away... I mean jeez.
Many people survived the destruction in KL by Drogon. Many, but also many perished. She survived, a few people did as well and a horse that likely ran off and wandered back in, is your gripe? Bud, really.

This is a medieval fantasy show with dragons in a fake made up place and time.

Also Cleganebowl - it was a battle between 2 brothers, one that was given some super natural potion to be even stronger than he already was and damn near indestructible. Hound was also one of the best fighters in the show, he's survived as long as he has because he sure as shit can fight and there was some real anger and hate there for him to really dig deep to take on his brother. Also, he almost was killed by him if he didn't stab him in the head. That battle was fine, I am satisfied with the end to the brothers being taken out by each other and falling into fire. Sandor won, he won by taking out his brother once and for all.

Night King, what did you want? Him to touch Bran and have some magical orgasmic sparkle of diamond dust misting into the air and then some prophecy being told? Arya killing him was perfect.

We don't need more filler shit like Arya's new journey to find a damn horse. At this point in the game, you focus on the meat and potatoes of it all, not the minutiae.

Stop making me reply damn it.

Also - If you trade Malkin for a set of wingers or a very good top 6 winger then you shed Hornqvist and Maatta, you can have enough cap space to bring in Duchene with those new wingers as the 2C.

Just a thought.

Ie - IF Geno wants to go to Florida because he's sick of Sully's shit, don't blame him, then I would want Hoffman ++ and then you dump JJ for Brown (a bit of a cap increase), Florida can shed more salary to get Panarin and Bobs if they want, not our issue, But then you dump Horny and Maatta because Horny deserves way better and Maatta is just trash.

Done.

I'll see you guys around, lurking, not really interested in posting here anymore.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Honour Over Glory

Dood, if you want my gripes, mosey on over to freefolk on reddit. There are literally dozens upon dozens of plot and arc undoing, nonsensicals, and blowing up prophecies that were a big part of the story de-construction of years of show narrative and 20 + years of book writing

If you want my personal gripes off the top of my head without digging into reddit or reviews with other outlets and just ripping off peoples gripes, that will take a long while and may not be worth it. But maybe I will do so tomorrow if you really want to know what I disliked personally. It's not that big a deal to me honestly, the show is destroying itself whether or not you agree. It is still entertaining and a marvel to look at, but it's a mess dood story and arc wise.

You don't have to respond cause I'm going to bed anyways, but tomorrow I'll post my dislikes as I have to watch it again with wifey.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I love when people who obviously don't have a clue about
writing criticize people for criticizing poor writing and storytelling. This is most easily detectable in "it's a fantasy show" type of statements, as if that gives license to anything that shows up on screen. It doesn't.

Stories create their own rules and must abide by them. Plots have to progress in a way that makes sense unto themselves. Even in fantasy, things must stay grounded, else the audience will lose their suspension of disbelief. Characters have to make decisions that make sense at the moment, and if a writer wants a character to make a decision later in the story that they wouldn't make earlier, they have to show how that character changed. That said, merely following these basics doesn't make for good storytelling.

Ultimately, what separates GRRM from the hacks who are wrote the last few seasons is their philosophies for writing. GRRM is meticulous. He develops themes. He cares about getting things right. He puts the narrative first, not fan service, or "wouldn't this be cool".

The biggest problem is D&D didn't care to understand the story. Watching their behind the scenes clips after the show makes this apparent. The show is a giant ego trip for them. No wonder GRRM left the writing team. They're rank amateurs who think themes in writing are for children. Why the higher ups at these companies keep hiring the same types of morons to write for huge franchises, I don't know. There are plenty of excellent writers put there who could have done a better job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad