OT: Spoiled Fans!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yeah, that's the least favorable way to spin it though. The most favorable would be 1 Cup in 4 years. Or 1 Cup, 1 finals appearance and 1 President's Trophy in 4 years.

And two of three of those mean nothing at all. Unless after President's Trophy you include (lost in embarrassing fashion to an inferior team in just the 2nd round).... Even using win % since 08-09 (the return to relevancy) means nothing. 1 Cup in 40 years means a lot more. Even if it were 2 Cups in 40 years, that still isn't good enough for an O6 team to me.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
It is far too early to freak out. This team has some pretty solid elements that lead me to think they will be ok.

A few things do concern me though, starting with the fact that we need to finish plays. Timing is still very off for passes and guys need to keep their heads up. Second, there has been some woefully bad positional play. Some players are trying to do too much, some not enough and missing assignments. Too many guys along the boards leads to not enough guys in front.
And while we are there, in front, I think it's true that some players are "identity" or character guys. Say whatever you want about Marc Recchi and his age and or numbers....he was a great character guy. You need guys like that that are forever in position and feel the flow of the game. (I'm not saying let's go get Marc Recchi). But you do need guys in position. Too many guys trying to do too many things out of panic. Just play fundamental hockey.

This team needs practice and practice and more practice and the lines need to gel. I love when guys can telepath passes.

and lastly. which I dont begrudge Lucic for doing what he did (you gotta hate the Habs), if it hurts the team, its not a good thing. The game, the sport becomes a circus and then they take on that identity--just be careful. You wanna fight? then fight, and make it bloody. Dont play charades. This is a big boy game.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
It's not spin. In no way was I trying to spin that...please stop saying that. It's kind of insulting. Take it at face value.

I'm saying I don't want to wait, nor do I think it's acceptable to wait another 40 years for one cup....and I don't think believing that makes anyone spoiled.

The conversation went "1 cup every 40 years should not be acceptable"-FJ

Redeye piped in with "Technically it's every 30 years"

Brad says "No, it's factually 42 going on 43"

I laid out why I believe that, but that was predictably ignored. More spin I presume.

The once in every 30 years comment was about what it technically should be if everybody were equal. I know it's not fully true because there hasn't been 30 teams forever, but whatever. That wasn't my comment. It's close enough to true. And winning one in 42 years isn't off the pace that would exist if everyone were equally good considering only 12 teams should win twice in 42 years - again the fact that there haven't always been 30 teams changes things a bit, but again, whatever.

You're not spinning things in the sense that you're not using facts. You're just referring to the worst possible time frame. And if you use the worst possible time frame for everyone, we're middle of the pack. Even if you put some of the younger teams with only one title ahead of us.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
And two of three of those mean nothing at all. Unless after President's Trophy you include (lost in embarrassing fashion to an inferior team in just the 2nd round).... Even using win % since 08-09 (the return to relevancy) means nothing. 1 Cup in 40 years means a lot more. Even if it were 2 Cups in 40 years, that still isn't good enough for an O6 team to me.

What's wrong with saying 1 Cup in 4 years? Or 3 Cups in 45? Why is 42 years the most relevant time frame?

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Which is exactly why I didn't say either of those.

I'm just saying, when we're built to win...I expect to win, and when we're built to rebuild, I expect to rebuild. Right now we are built to win, we should be winning. We don't "deserve success" Anyone who says that should get a smack right across the face :laugh:....but 1 cup every 30 years, 40 years whatever you want to use as a barometer shouldn't be the norm if you ask me.

I go back to the Brady example, it's great that the Pats won 3 in that incredible stretch. Does that mean that it's okay to not put the best team possible around Brady for the next 10 years? Has the last decade of Pats football been viewed as a success when they've only reached the big game once, despite winning the division every single year?

When people look back on the Atlanta Braves of the 90s...do people say "Good for them, at least they got one" or do they say "Man, how did that team not win more than just one?"

The Braves expected and should have won more. Atlanta fans will be the first to tell you that....That doesn't mean they are spoiled though.

This Bruins roster right now has 1 goal. Win the stanley cup. If they come short of that, they haven't achieved their goal. Why is holding them to the standard that they hold themselves considered "spoiled?"

A day will come where the Bruins are in the spot of the Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, etc.. It's inevitable...if not for just one season. When that comes around, my expectations of this team will be vastly different than they are right now. Just like my expectations of this team are vastly different than they were in 2008. When that day comes and this team comes off being a powerhouse in the NHL, I won't look back and say "Man I was spoiled for thinking they should be successful with that team"

I am a Braves fan and I view it a a spoilt kind of torture haha

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Some day Brady and Belichik are going to both be gone, and the Pats will go back to being just another team and it'll suck and we will be desperate for the chance to lose AFC title games.

That doesn't make someone being disappointed that they haven't won in over a decade right now spoiled. I defend the Pats, and I also am bummed out we don't have a 4th title.

I wish we kept Deion Branch for the 06 season knowing what I know now. Just like I wish we kept Boychuk. That doesn't make me spoiled. It means I am capable of having perspective and knowing neither extreme makes sense.

Really like this response. In my perpective Pats fans are and were spoilt to have that/this run.

But you're right it could and should have been even better...

It's fine to expect winning and championships but history has shown its not sustainable or realistic

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Cup win, another trip to the finals in the last few years, sure, a few disappointing exits but are there exits that aren`t disappointing/frustrating??? Not for this fan.

Struggling out of the gate, some personnel we all appreciated as solid on and off ice contributors like Ference/JB have had to be moved in recent years, few holes in the lineup that need to be addressed but overall, as a fan of this team/organization, having had to try and digest the garbage that was being force fed down our throats by previous leadership....me thinks I`ll take the current scenario with ease

Doesn`t mean that from time to time I won`t scratch my head at moves they make...or perhaps don`t make but isn`t that pretty commonplace with every fan base to be a bit uncomfortable with the leadership

This team will be fine

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
It is far too early to freak out. This team has some pretty solid elements that lead me to think they will be ok.

A few things do concern me though, starting with the fact that we need to finish plays. Timing is still very off for passes and guys need to keep their heads up. Second, there has been some woefully bad positional play. Some players are trying to do too much, some not enough and missing assignments. Too many guys along the boards leads to not enough guys in front.
And while we are there, in front, I think it's true that some players are "identity" or character guys. Say whatever you want about Marc Recchi and his age and or numbers....he was a great character guy. You need guys like that that are forever in position and feel the flow of the game. (I'm not saying let's go get Marc Recchi). But you do need guys in position. Too many guys trying to do too many things out of panic. Just play fundamental hockey.

This team needs practice and practice and more practice and the lines need to gel. I love when guys can telepath passes.

and lastly. which I dont begrudge Lucic for doing what he did (you gotta hate the Habs), if it hurts the team, its not a good thing. The game, the sport becomes a circus and then they take on that identity--just be careful. You wanna fight? then fight, and make it bloody. Dont play charades. This is a big boy game.

Kovi speaks for me. Thanks Kovi. :D

A little adversity isn't the worst thing. They'll get through it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm honestly just looking forward to seeing what Chia pulls out of the bag around the deadline. He must have something in the pipeline, he must

I don't doubt that he'll make a move come Feb, but I highly doubt he has some sort of deal in place like some people are saying. I just don't think other GMs say "Oh sure we'll trade player X for 2 2nds, get back to us in Feb and we'll fax it up!"

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Personally, I enjoyed this board much more back after the '05 lockout when this team wasn't having any success. There was lots of good discussion on the team and how to improve it and my recollection is that people were generally level headed.
Ever since things started to turn around for the better in 09', and even despite great success, it seems any little bump in the road turns this board into complete chaos. It really is getting tiresome.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Personally, I enjoyed this board much more back after the '05 lockout when this team wasn't having any success. There was lots of good discussion on the team and how to improve it and my recollection is that people were generally level headed.
Ever since things started to turn around for the better in 09', and even despite great success, it seems any little bump in the road turns this board into complete chaos. It really is getting tiresome.

We've been ruined by too much success :(

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I find it do difficult to have fun chat about trade proposals... this might have more to do with the cap? Definitely i had more fun here prior to the cap era

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014

I agree, the moping and hysterics over nothing have become the norm.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad