GDT: Spidey Says "STOP YOUR F***ING CRYING!" - Devils @ Predators, 8 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I honestly did not realize how popular your franchise is. Ignorant me, i guess. Exciting!
I wouldn't say "popular", but we have a very passionate fanbase. Compared to the Rags for example we have a hell of a lot more hardcore fans while they just have a bunch of posers who are Rags fans because they think it sounds cool with them being NYC's team.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Cory has started 38 games and won 17. Kk has started 27 and won 17. He's won the same amount of games in 11 less starts.

This tells you one makes the timely clutch saves and one doesn't. To me this is more telling then any goalie stat.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Cory has started 38 games and won 17. Kk has started 27 and won 17. He's won the same amount of games in 11 less starts.

This tells you one makes the timely clutch saves and one doesn't. To me this is more telling then any goalie stat.
Yup. It's like a pitcher with a low 4ish era who wins 22 games. He pitches effectively according to the score.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah I was actually shocked when I saw how many posts are here. I thought TOR should have more but I don't think so.. It is just great. I came here to read something about Vats, maybe I'll keep looking.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Yup. It's like a pitcher with a low 4ish era who wins 22 games. He pitches effectively according to the score.
That's what kk has done... I think he keeps improving, both this season and in yrs to come (went through an early slump which skewed some of his numbers). Making key saves at the right moment is the key to any good goalie....

Mike L

Feb 28, 2018
Once a goalie gets a bad groin injury they are always nervous that they will reinjure it. If you have ever had a bad groin pull or related injury you know what I’m talking about.
Looking at Schneider now you can just tell he’s playing cautiously which just won’t cut it when half the D-men in front of him are Big Orange Cones.
Cory is 31 and past his prime so really the best thing to do is trade him before he has no value at all.

Camille the Eel

He's definitely not still injured and if he's compensating for not being 100% he needs to be kicked off the team.
No one can be definite about it unless you are talking to him personally. To me he looks weaker against physical pressure than he did in like December. A big guy like Barkov coming down the slot for that first goal against Florida, with Severson chasing him, where the puck got kicked in the net along with Cory, he's much weaker in those situations physically than he was, and much weaker than Kinkaid. Once Cory's out of play now, he's out of it. The earlier this season Cory, while never athletic, was not so much one-and-done on a play. Physically he's sitting lower into his hips when on his knees, with more of a five hole for the shooter. If you had a hip injury, you might do that, rather than stressing them out to sit in a higher butterfly.

Just thoughts. Hip and groin injuries most often are chronic things that can take an entire off season to cure. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 100% but made the call that he was as good as he was going to be this season so why not see at what level he could play.

Reactions: Mike Littsor

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't buy this he's still hurt meme with Cory. If he is still hurt (especially after the first time he ostensibly tried to play through pain didn't exactly go that well) then someone needs to be fired - either the coach or the medical staff that rubber-stamped him coming back. If this is Cory hurt then **** that, I'd take KK and Eddie Lack at 100% over Cory at 50% or whatever people want to claim he is.

But I don't think he's hurt, tentative and out of sync maybe but I don't think this organization's that negligent to rush him back right at the point KK and Lack had found a groove.

Camille the Eel

Just visiting....why the **** does your GDT have 2200 messages?

And that's a compliment.
Also because last night was basically a playoff game for us. For us, in a dead heat with Florida and Columbus now, where only two out of three clubs will make the postseason, the playoffs have basically started. It's must win night-in-night-out. And the passionate fans are into it accordingly.

Also the Net may reflect the geography of north Jersey. Spread out. So the common area is more on line?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
cory's problems seem mental to me more than physical. maybe it is because of the injury, but dropping rebounds that should be eaten up, not tracking pucks from the point or not hugging the post and letting it go off your helmet from behind the net just seem like lack of concentration more than any physical issue. i mean i don't really know what it is, but it's not that he's getting to fewer pucks than he used to which shows a decline, it's that he's not stopping pucks that ANY goalie should be able to, while still making some incredible saves each game.

if he tightens up i think he can get back into the form that he was a the beginning of the season, but we can't afford to trot him out every game hoping he "finds" it because we don't have a margin of error anymore and thankfully the coaching staff realizes this

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Once a goalie gets a bad groin injury they are always nervous that they will reinjure it. If you have ever had a bad groin pull or related injury you know what I’m talking about.
Looking at Schneider now you can just tell he’s playing cautiously which just won’t cut it when half the D-men in front of him are Big Orange Cones.
Cory is 31 and past his prime so really the best thing to do is trade him before he has no value at all.

I will say from experience the first few games you are extra cautious and sometimes it affects your play. I fully expected cory to lose the first few games, but the goals he let up to lose those games that don't involve anything more the covering the 5 hole, putting your stick down can't be blamed on injury. For groin injuries, when you come back you tend to struggle going post to post, so I expected him to let those in due to his slowness. Also might effect your lunge at a poke check, skating and trying to beat someone to the puck (skating behind or out of the net)

31 is still considered prime age for a goalie... usually goes to 33-35 ish, then decline. Marty held onto his prime longer then most (including a surprise 2012 playoff run at 40 beating a 30yr old queen (who was elite at that time))

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
No one can be definite about it unless you are talking to him personally. To me he looks weaker against physical pressure than he did in like December. A big guy like Barkov coming down the slot for that first goal against Florida, with Severson chasing him, where the puck got kicked in the net along with Cory, he's much weaker in those situations physically than he was, and much weaker than Kinkaid. Once Cory's out of play now, he's out of it. The earlier this season Cory, while never athletic, was not so much one-and-done on a play. Physically he's sitting lower into his hips when on his knees, with more of a five hole for the shooter. If you had a hip injury, you might do that, rather than stressing them out to sit in a higher butterfly.

Just thoughts. Hip and groin injuries most often are chronic things that can take an entire off season to cure. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 100% but made the call that he was as good as he was going to be this season so why not see at what level he could play.

Injured != older. All that applies to an aging athlete. Especially one recovering from injuries. Brodeur was never the same after his first major career injury late in his career. Cory may never be 100% late 20's Cory ever again but that does not mean he's injured.

Kicked off the team is harsh and inflammatory but whatever its a message board and my opinion holds no weight. But if you're hiding an injury and not getting results that benefit your team then you're doing a disservice to the whole organization. That just leads me to believe it might be an age thing that looks like a chronic injury. Or a combination of both. Either way he has not been the same goalie for a while now. Cory has stated that he feels fully healthy in every game back. His mistakes look more mental than injury related.

It could also just be something that takes a couple years to fully recover from or adapt to. I think as goalies skills regress they find other ways to maximize their effectiveness. When Brodeur's reaction time was declining he played much more aggressively. Played much farther out in his net. Sometimes that lead to ridiculous open net goals but overall it was probably better than him getting beat.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
I don't buy this he's still hurt meme with Cory. If he is still hurt (especially after the first time he ostensibly tried to play through pain) then someone needs to be fired - either the coach or the medical staff that rubber-stamped him coming back. If this is Cory hurt then **** that, I'd take Eddie Lack at 100% over Cory at 50% or whatever people want to claim he is.

But I don't think he's hurt, tentative maybe but I don't think this organization's that negligent to rush him back right at the point KK and Lack had found a groove.

there is no way cory is still hurt. when someone says 'still' hurt that means the groin is still a problem. he looks fine, its something else. the rust excuse is about to wear off tho. i still say start him for vegas and if he does well start him for la then give kk the ducks. make a decision for the next set of games after that. he is our starter whether people want to accept it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad