Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Bad news is that he seems like the logical replacement for Hynes :laugh: :help:
For interim I’d allow it. We just need a different voice and vision for this club, let Fitz and Kowalsky take charge as interim until Ray hires someone full time. I want Hynes and Nas gone now. This play is inexcusable. I felt like they were not far off in the first 12 games of the season since they had 3rd period leads in the majority of those, all they had to do was tighten it in the 3rd but they have regressed into this low event hockey ever since and they are not built for that. Not to mention the disastrous stuff they do in the defensive zone every game...

Staff has to go now.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Was Subban that bad to not even be on the first PP wave? I started watching some games 4-5 games in and I never saw him on the 1st PP with Hall, Hughes, Hischier etc.. if I was the coach I would just play the guy in all situations. He's paid 9M, give him rope and if he chokes himself with it at least he's the one looking bad and not me.

he started the season on PP 1 and it was horrifically bad. They swapped him out for Vats and moved Hughes to PP1 and then went on a hot streak and it has stayed since.

Having said that Nashville had a bad PP with Subban as well.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
PK Subban isn't the problem

Guys like: Andy Greene, Mirco Mueller, and Damon Severson are the problem.

But I will especially point out Mirco Mueller because at least Severson is pretty good offensively. So Mueller, 0 pts in 14 games. But you know whats frustrating? 1 minute left in the game, 4-1, Gusev leads in a nice little rush into the zone and I forgot which forward touch the puck next but they flinged it around to the boards to the point to a wide open Mirco Mueller. If Mueller was able to get that puck, it would have lead to either a good shot/opportunity or the ability to cycle the puck at the end of the game for the last minute. You know, just to get a feel good goal, pad some stats, build some confidence for the team as a whole because the players on the ice cycle it. Mueller completely misses the puck and it exits. Ruins the whole entry, but worst of all this was a play that would get you benched not only in the AHL, but in any professional league!

You just can't have a D-man with 0 pts in 14 games! Horrible. Just horrible. The defense is a problem, they ruin the offensive cycle. A bad defense will always cause point production to fall for the team as a whole.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
he started the season on PP 1 and it was horrifically bad. They swapped him out for Vats and moved Hughes to PP1 and then went on a hot streak and it has stayed since.

Having said that Nashville had a bad PP with Subban as well.
So they never tried Subban and Hughes at the same time on PP#1?

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
PK Subban isn't the problem

Guys like: Andy Greene, Mirco Mueller, and Damon Severson are the problem.

But I will especially point out Mirco Mueller because at least Severson is pretty good offensively. So Mueller, 0 pts in 14 games. But you know whats frustrating? 1 minute left in the game, 4-1, Gusev leads in a nice little rush into the zone and I forgot which forward touch the puck next but they flinged it around to the boards to the point to a wide open Mirco Mueller. If Mueller was able to get that puck, it would have lead to either a good shot/opportunity or the ability to cycle the puck at the end of the game for the last minute. You know, just to get a feel good goal, pad some stats, build some confidence for the team as a whole because the players on the ice cycle it. Mueller completely misses the puck and it exits. Ruins the whole entry, but worst of all this was a play that would get you benched not only in the AHL, but in any professional league!

You just can't have a D-man with 0 pts in 14 games! Horrible. Just horrible. The defense is a problem, they ruin the offensive cycle. A bad defense will always cause point production to fall for the team as a whole.
9F107840-AF10-46BF-B189-93854402B16C.jpeg

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
In the context of getting another good defenseman, I believe the only real untouchable on the team is Hughes. Everyone else can be traded and not because I wouldn't want to keep Hischier/Zacha/Bratt/Hall/Gusev. But the need is that much. If we got some amazing stud D-man for Hischier as a trade offer, you take it. I'm sorry, the team will never be good having a jam-rod of top centers when the defense is that much of a black hole. Even Zacha, I think he has such a high level of potential and trading him is a dumb idea. But if some GM reads that potential and offers some good D-man, he's as good as gone.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
In the context of getting another good defenseman, I believe the only real untouchable on the team is Hughes. Everyone else can be traded and not because I wouldn't want to keep Hischier/Zacha/Bratt/Hall/Gusev. But the need is that much. If we got some amazing stud D-man for Hischier as a trade offer, you take it. I'm sorry, the team will never be good having a jam-rod of top centers when the defense is that much of a black hole. Even Zacha, I think he has such a high level of potential and trading him is a dumb idea. But if some GM reads that potential and offers some good D-man, he's as good as gone.
I think we need to keep that 1 2 center punch.

Zacha and Bratt on the other hand are fair game. Would go well in a package.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
That team went 10-29-2 in the first half. 22 pts. This team would have to lose 19 of the next 20 in regulation to eclipse that level of suckitude.

This team does indeed suck but it doesn’t excuse your false and garbage narratives. This team would have to only get 3 out of the next 40 pts to equal that team.
Wait. Hold on. You're comparing this team and where they stand 20 games in...to where that 2011 team stood at after 41 games...you don't see how flawed and disingenuous that is??
Steve compared apples to apples, unlike what you are doing. That 2011 team proceeded to win only 4 of the next 20 games, that's how they got to the record you are citing. Are you trying to convince us that it is out of the realm of possibility that this dumpster fire of a team could absolutely lose that much over their next 20 (assuming the clueless loser behind the bench remains there)? Because every single meaningful measurement of this pitiful team's performance indicates that it absolutely is possible, maybe even likely.

I swear I think all the losing over the last 7 years has melted away our fan's ability to objectively assess what they are witnessing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The MacLean Devils never had anything close to a 5-3 stretch the way this team did before the last two losses. There are enough things wrong with the team and bad enough without trying to make the case this is as bad as the MacLean era (it's not, and the caveat it has time to get there doesn't change it).

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wait. Hold on. You're comparing this team and where they stand 20 games in...to where that 2011 team stood at after 41 games...you don't see how flawed and disingenuous that is??
Steve compared apples to apples, unlike what you are doing. That 2011 team proceeded to win only 4 of the next 20 games, that's how they got to the record you are citing. Are you trying to convince us that it is out of the realm of possibility that this dumpster fire of a team could absolutely lose that much over their next 20 (assuming the clueless loser behind the bench remains there)? Because every single meaningful measurement of this pitiful team's performance indicates that it absolutely is possible, maybe even likely.

I swear I think all the losing over the last 7 years has melted away our fan's ability to objectively assess what they are witnessing.
The MacLean team wishes they had as many 3rd period leads as this current team has had. This team isn’t good but won’t be anywhere close to 22 pts at the halfway mark. Like I said, since you are the one driving this narrative then put up or shut up. I can be messaged at any point for a friendly wager.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The MacLean team wishes they had as many 3rd period leads as this current team has had. This team isn’t good but won’t be anywhere close to 22 pts at the halfway mark. Like I said, since you are the one driving this narrative then put up or shut up. I can be messaged at any point for a friendly wager.
If you could guarantee that Hynes remains behind the bench until game 41, I would absolutely take that wager.

Arguing that the 2011 team was better based on things like "this team has had leads going into the third unlike them", is just another in a bizarre set of rationalizations that get parroted here ad nauseum. An embarrassing consistent inability to hold on to a lead (at home no less) is not a positive trait...in fact it can be interpreted as being even more evidence of a loser mentality than when a team falls behind from the start.

Reactions: The Joker

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Part of the reason why the 2011 team fell off a cliff in December was because at this point of the season (late November) it became crystal clear the coach was ultimately going to get fired and when that happens to a team the bottom tends to fall out.

I wouldn't be surprised if that occurs again (and we have seen the bottom fall out of Hynes teams before). I'm not going to bet that they go nearly pointless over the next month, but we could very well see the extended losing streak.

These things tend to work as a bad start, a yo-yo where you can't get it going to pull out of the bad start, the realization that the team is sunk and then the bottom falling out.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Part of the reason why the 2011 team fell off a cliff in December was because at this point of the season (late November) it became crystal clear the coach was ultimately going to get fired and when that happens to a team the bottom tends to fall out.

I wouldn't be surprised if that occurs again (and we have seen the bottom fall out of Hynes teams before). I'm not going to bet that they go nearly pointless over the next month, but we could very well see the extended losing streak.

These things tend to work as a bad start, a yo-yo where you can't get it going to pull out of the bad start, the realization that the team is sunk and then the bottom falling out.

Hynes has already reverted to his classic stance when the bottom falls out, which is go low event turtle hockey.

The issue is it has sort of worked in that the team was able to string a few wins together over an extended period.

The problem is the underlying numbers have been awful over that stretch with no signs of improvement.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They haven't lost a bunch a row the last 15 games either though, which is probably buying Hynes more time than it really should.
If they had been playing this atrocious hockey from the start, they would probably be limping along into mediocrity to the point where Hynes would last the entire season for sure. That putrid start may cost him his job sooner, but who knows with Shero.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If they had been playing this atrocious hockey from the start, they would probably be limping along into mediocrity to the point where Hynes would last the entire season for sure. That putrid start may cost him his job sooner, but who knows with Shero.

The bad goaltending sort of prevented that from limping along. It cost them a few games, but not as many as the numbers suggest (5-1 loses would just have been 2-1 loses).

The other issue might be so many east teams just puttering about around .500. It’s easier to sell to yourself there is a chance when a good stretch of five or so games can get you jumping four or five teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad