Speculation: Spezza Thread Part IV - Let This End Today Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I wonder what Nashville was offering that made Murray strongly consider it to the point he asked Spezz if he would waive to go there.

Have to believe Poile was offering the 11th overall pick (given Murray's demands for a 1st as part of the return) + something else IMO.

I would think Poile budged a little more and probably offered Hornqvist with a pick. Murray said the deal was off the table after the Neal trade so you got to think he was the top 6er coming back.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I remember rumours that Murray asked Heatley's agent if the could negotiate a deal with Edm, as they had inquired, only to be shocked when Heatley nixed it thinking that he had already given consent when the agent told him to go ahead and negotiate.

This time, Spezza's agent openly says that if there are deals in place with teams on the list, let them know and they'll consider it.

Here's my beef with this; if there are other teams he would accept a trade to, remove them from the list upfront. This come back to us when you have a deal bs is wasting everybody's time and making everyone look like a heel.

Had Spezza's agent said from the get go that he will not accept a deal to any teams on his no trade list, none of this happens. So right there is why the blame falls on the Spezza camp for this mess. It's not the intent that's the problem, as I assume he had good intentions telling them to come see them if there was a no trade team interested, but the end result was purely manufactured by Spezza and his agent's actions.

WHAT???? Nashville was on the NO TRADE list. That means he does not want to be traded there!!!!! Why should Spezza change his mind if Murray is dumb enough to try and make a deal with them???

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
WHAT???? Nashville was on the NO TRADE list. That means he does not want to be traded there!!!!! Why should Spezza change his mind if Murray is dumb enough to try and make a deal with them???

Reports came out a week ago stating Spezza's camp would be flexible to a trade with one of the NTC teams.

I remember hearing the same thing about having permission to talk to them.. If Im a GM in that situation I want it in writing that I can negotiate... Makes everyone look bad to go thru a negotation, then have to confirm that the player will waive, only to get a "No Dice" at the last minute... I would hope Murray learned from going thru that once... I guess he didnt

Completely different situations. Murray was trying to trade Heatley to Oilers while teams like SJ expressed interest and they KNEW he was their number 1 and they wanted him badly but never offered anything special.

Spezza however, may not be wanted anymore by his number 1 team. Therefore, he can lean back on the Sens to come back next year. However, since Murray is putting the blame on Spezza, now he CAN'T come back next year and if STL out of the picture he'll have to waive.

I wonder what Nashville was offering that made Murray strongly consider it to the point he asked Spezz if he would waive to go there.

Have to believe Poile was offering the 11th overall pick (given Murray's demands for a 1st as part of the return) + something else IMO.

It was 11th overall+Hornqvist+Spaling/MDZ the first two pieces are 100% confirmed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Perhaps you missed the part when Spezza's agent said if there was a deal with one of the teams on his no trade list, come see them and they'd consider it. It's two paragraphs above the one you bolded.

Here is the quote, there are others as well

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles...t-drive-this-saturday-ft-mark-borowiecki.html

“I hope so. I’ve talked to his agent, Rick Curran, a fair amount lately and I’ve asked him that question. I’ve said, ‘There are a couple of teams that are on the list that have expressed interest,’ and their first come back is, ‘We’d like to see if you could do a deal with the teams that we’ve provided to you, but if you get a good offer, come back to us.’

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Reports came out a week ago stating Spezza's camp would be flexible to a trade with one of the NTC teams.

Completely different situations. Murray was trying to trade Heatley to Oilers while teams like SJ expressed interest and they KNEW he was their number 1 and they wanted him badly but never offered anything special.

Spezza however, may not be wanted anymore by his number 1 team. Therefore, he can lean back on the Sens to come back next year. However, since Murray is putting the blame on Spezza, now he CAN'T come back next year and if STL out of the picture he'll have to waive.

It was 11th overall+Hornqvist+Spaling/MDZ the first two pieces are 100% confirmed.

Spezza already chose Ottawa over Nashville once... If STL doesnt pan out there are still 18 available teams for BM to pick from... If he cant do that then I can see Spezza returning then getting dealt either during the year or at deadline...

Its not STL or bust.... Its STL + 18 other teams

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza already chose Ottawa over Nashville once... If STL doesnt pan out there are still 18 available teams for BM to pick from... If he cant do that then I can see Spezza returning then getting dealt either during the year or at deadline...

Its not STL or bust.... Its STL + 18 other teams

Not everyone wants Spezza though... NYR? uh Chicago can't even fit him... COL? PHX?

Spezza won't come back though. I'm positive he'll be stripped of the C and be boo'd and play poorly while MacLean favors other guys who want to be here and actually play his system.

It would be a nightmare for Spezza who's trying to impress for what could be his final nhl contract.

I'm pretty positive he'd rather go to Nashville for a year with Rinne, Weber, Neal than come back here... IF STL out of the picture.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Perhaps you missed the part when Spezza's agent said if there was a deal with one of the teams on his no trade list, come see them and they'd consider it. It's two paragraphs above the one you bolded.

Here is the quote, there are others as well

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles...t-drive-this-saturday-ft-mark-borowiecki.html

They came back to them, they said no, which is well within their rights... Murray had permission to talk, was never given indication that they would waive... Its all semantics and Spezza's camp arent without blame but after the Heatley sitch I would have made sure they would waive, In writing, before seriously negotiating

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
For what it's worth it's not to far out that Spezza's agent told Murray to negotiate and bring them an offer regardless if that team was on his list. Doesn't mean Spezza agreed to Murray negotiating with Nashville. Just means Spezza's agent is willing to bring potential trade scenarios to Jason in the event he likes it.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Not everyone wants Spezza though... NYR? uh Chicago can't even fit him... COL? PHX?

Spezza won't come back though. I'm positive he'll be stripped of the C and be boo'd and play poorly while MacLean favors other guys who want to be here and actually play his system.

It would be a nightmare for Spezza who's trying to impress for what could be his final nhl contract.

I'm pretty positive he'd rather go to Nashville for a year with Rinne, Weber, Neal than come back here... IF STL out of the picture.

I dont think the situation between Spezza and the Sens is quite as toxic as some are making it out to be... The way Murray has stated on numerous occasions that he wont give him away and he may have to come back leads me to believe the option is somewhat there...

There are 2/3 of the league not on the list... There is a deal to be had somewhere... If there isnt, then maybe Spezza's camp will budge... I think Nashville is a great fit personally

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
For what it's worth it's not to far out that Spezza's agent told Murray to negotiate and bring them an offer regardless if that team was on his list. Doesn't mean Spezza agreed to Murray negotiating with Nashville.

If they were absolutely going to go down the "bring us an offer if you like it" route, the least they could have done was added "but don't waste your time with X, Y and Z — they're non-starters."

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
11th overall and Hornqvist would have been a damn fine return, let alone an additional rumoured asset.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
If they were absolutely going to go down the "bring us an offer if you like it" route, the least they could have done was added "but don't waste your time with X, Y and Z — they're non-starters."

I'm sorry but if your Spezza and I'm your agent, I will bring you all possible destinations you can go to unless you told me "NO MEANS NO!". :laugh: I mean the agent is going to get paid in his next contract, so unless instructed otherwise I'm sure he's open to all scenarios that could potentially give him a bigger cheque.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
11th overall and Hornqvist would have been a damn fine return, let alone an additional rumoured asset.

That pretty much checks off all the boxes for me.

Top 6 player: check
1st Round pick: check
Prospect: Close enough

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Exactly. Heard this straight from Randy Lee almost two weeks ago when I spoke to him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Same stink as Heatley deal to Edmonton that Heatley said no too. It seems BM can make a deal with teams that the players have said they don't want to go to but can't make a deal with teams who they do want to go to. Sounds like bull-**** to me.

BTW I thought there were 29 other teams in the NHL who would love to have Spezza since I was told that so often on here, apparently only one now & one where he doesn't want to go. Could it be because he would be the #1 centre in Nashville & he doesn't want that kind of pressure any more & would rather go to a team where he is the defacto #2 with less pressure & scrutiny? Just wondering.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Hey now we're suppose to be the mecca of hockey. But yeah I'd say the Heatley situation is where the gongshow that this organization has become started.

the gong started way before that:

Drafting the same player twice;
Then Bridgman twice tried to draft players who were ineligible;
Signing Hossa then trading him the same day - Chara got upset and eventually left us.
Drafting Lee over Kopitar, Staal

I dont think the situation between Spezza and the Sens is quite as toxic as some are making it out to be... The way Murray has stated on numerous occasions that he wont give him away and he may have to come back leads me to believe the option is somewhat there...

There are 2/3 of the league not on the list... There is a deal to be had somewhere... If there isnt, then maybe Spezza's camp will budge... I think Nashville is a great fit personally

There is a deal somewhere but not with 19 teams. Maybe 5 can, and only a couple teams would do it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm no longer sold on this team's scouting department & drafting ability, I'm no longer impressed with the prospects in our system, more like depressed. :laugh:

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
So happy BM hasn't caved. Once stastny is signed, the losers will coming running our way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm no longer sold on this team's scouting department & drafting ability, I'm no longer impressed with the prospects in our system, more like depressed. :laugh:

Oh you've seen all of them play then? Scouting team has always come through. No reason why it will be different now

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Gagner take the Yotes interest in Spezza away? If so, thats a sucky settle for them.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Happened to me when Tim Murray left too. But now buffalo scouting and drafting looks pretty good

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Tampa had rumours of being interested in Spezza and they are currently clearing out cap space/salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad