Confirmed with Link: Spezza tenders resignation - Update 6/14 Named Penguins AGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Again, what are you on about? I said he was fired. I just think it’s a weird flex to go on on and on about Dubas doing what’s best for himself. It has no bearing on your life whatsoever. Additionally Dubas/Spezza doesn’t even know you exist.

These types of moves are very common in sports. It sucks when it happens to us. But TORONTO has been the beneficiary of those types of moves in the past.
I wish the Leafs didn't have a bearing on my life.

If you're on this board and argue they don't...you're lying :) We're all invested emotionally

Actually, Jason is a fairly consistent client of mine. LOL. Nice dude.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
That is not how this all played out. Dubas was fired because Dubas wanted his direct supervisors job. If you think he was let go because of money I have a bridge to sell you as well. Trelieving left Calgary on his own because the owners wouldn't get rid of Sutter. Dubas made a power play trying to reduce Shannahans involvement and Shanny canned him.
Can you blame Dubas? If you don't have autonomy in your job, he did the right thing and asking for it when his contract was up for renewal. He was told no. That's fair. He found another job elsewhere that paid more and had what he was looking for. Both parties moved on, and got what they wanted.

Reactions: francis246

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Can you blame Dubas? If you don't have autonomy in your job, he did the right thing and asking for it when his contract was up for renewal. He was told no. That's fair. He found another job elsewhere that paid more and had what he was looking for. Both parties moved on, and got what they wanted.
Can I blame Dubas for pulling the rug out on the dude that gave him his career last minute and f***ing over the team I like?

YUP. You can find a new job without being a total snake using your family as leverage and lying about your intentions.

Reactions: thewave

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean he could have just left? Going to your boss and being like okay I will stay but you have to piss off it can't exactly be a surprise when said boss tells you to leave instead lol

Reactions: Buds17

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Dubas and Babcock both had fixed-term contracts, meaning they had to be paid to the end of the contract unless both sides mutually agreed to end it."

Check the bolded of my above quote. If anything, the leafs gave Dubas a favor that Calgary was unwilling to do for Treviling. Calgary at first wouldn't even let Treviling talk to other teams.

It was Shanahan who opted to not extend Lamoriello in 2018. Why did nobody label him as "Being fired'? Is your argument that any time a team chooses not to extend the contract of an executive, it's "getting fired"?
Treliving couldn't talk to other teams, because he was still under contract to the Flames until the end of the month. It was Flames that did our new GM a favour to allow him talk to Toronto early.

If Leafs hadn't have hired him, Treliving would still be in the Flames GM chair now even attended the Flames draft perhaps, and finished out the month. As a result Treliving isn't allowed to be sitting at the Leafs draft table as part of the early hiring stipulation, because he wasn't fired.

Lou Lam also wasn't fired his contract simply expired naturally and Lou decided to move on while Leafs were willing to move him to a new advisory role within the Leafs organization.

Last edited:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I mean he could have just left? Going to your boss and being like okay I will stay but you have to piss off it can't exactly be a surprise when said boss tells you to leave instead lol
None of us were there so we don't know what Dubas exact terms were, and how much it would erase Shanny from the picture. How common is it for a GM to have full autonomy to trade players without the President's or board approval? At the end of the day those were his terms in order to continue there. You have to respect that. It's his right to ask. Shanny balked, and said no. That was also his right. There doesn't have to be a bad guy in the story. It just didn't work out. That's life.

If anything Shanny should have renewed his contract a year ago if he wanted him to stay. We didn't learn anything new about Dubas in 2023 that we didn't already know in 2022.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Can I blame Dubas for pulling the rug out on the dude that gave him his career last minute and f***ing over the team I like?

YUP. You can find a new job without being a total snake using your family as leverage and lying about your intentions.

I said Dubas was a snake when he was hired. Wish he was never hired and then wished he were fired years ago. Now here we are again in Cap hell and locked in with NMCs to devalue our assets. That 1st for tampering would be just a little bit of Karma back our way.

The plausible deniability presser just took the cake though. Especially after hearing shanny lay it out that he asked Kyle not to do it. He did it because he had to force the hand and get fired, that's my theory.

People getting bent because I want the snake to fork over a 1st.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Typical move by Dubas... Hire someone that he already knew. Seems Dubas has a fear of interviews and the vetting process. He also like "inexperience". Not really earmarks of a great leader.
I agree. Well said. I would have added more swear words to this.

;)

• Haha

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I said Dubas was a snake when he was hired. Wish he was never hired and then wished he were fired years ago. Now here we are again in Cap hell and locked in with NMCs to devalue our assets. That 1st for tampering would be just a little bit of Karma back our way.

The plausible deniability presser just took the cake though. Especially after hearing shanny lay it out that he asked Kyle not to do it. He did it because he had to force the hand and get fired, that's my theory.

People getting bent because I want the snake to fork over a 1st.
Yup. Which is why it was all that more frustrating. Why can't everyone else see what I see? I don't claim to be a genius by any metric....i like hockey and know it pretty well. But I'm not even close to the level of knowledge half this board has.

I don't get how we saw it and other ppl didn't. I guess because we were evaluating intangibles? If you get to deep i the numbers you forget the psychology of it all.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015

Apparently Dubas talked about himself getting fired in his honorary doctorate speech at Brock's graduation, and O'Dog disagreed (the part on Dubas starts at 38:18).

In the end, we all know what happened. Whether that is called "getting fired" or not is semantic, a summarizing statement that tries to shape the story by shedding away the details of the actual process. So for me, emphasizing that he was fired in his graduation speech (which can be argued as technically correct but the usage conveys a different kind of firing esp. when he mentioned this as an example of embracing failures in life) is just another attempt to hide his ultimate power move to get his promotion and benchmarking contract.

Last edited:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Apparently Dubas talked about himself getting fired in his honorary doctorate speech at Brock's graduation, and O'Dog disagreed (the part on Dubas starts at 38:18).

In the end, we all know what happened. Whether that is called "getting fired" or not is semantic, a summarizing statement that tries to shape the story by shedding away the details of the actual process. So for me, emphasizing that he was fired in his graduation speech (which can be argued as technically correct but the usage conveys a different kind of firing esp. when he mentioned this as an example of embracing failures in life) is just another attempt to hide his ultimate power move to get his promotion and benchmarking contract.

LOL. *facepalm*

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Treliving couldn't talk to other teams, because he was still under contract to the Flames until the end of the month. It was Flames that did our new GM a favour to allow him talk to Toronto early.

If Leafs hadn't have hired him, Treliving would still be in the Flames GM chair now even attended the Flames draft perhaps, and finished out the month. As a result Treliving isn't allowed to be sitting at the Leafs draft table as part of the early hiring stipulation, because he wasn't fired.

Lou Lam also wasn't fired his contract simply expired naturally and Lou decided to move on while Leafs were willing to move him to a new advisory role within the Leafs organization.
You keep skipping over the parts where Dubas (like Babcock) had a fixed-term contract. If they could just "fire" Dubas and end his contract early, why didn't they do that with Babcock? Why give him all those millions of dollars for nothing?

When Dubas turned down the contract extension offer he was given and made a power play, both groups decided to move on. They can only end the fixed-term contract if BOTH parties agree. This is insane. Shanahan literally offered Dubas a contract extension that Dubas turned down. How is this a firing?

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
The link gets their source from Friedman's 32 thoughts.

This is what Friedman said: "I think Toronto will do anything they can to keep Pridham. I think they are hopeful that he wants to stay there. But I wouldn't be surprised if in July, Dubas at least asks to talk to him, or anyone else if he'd be interested in that position"

In other words, there is nothing new that we didn't know already.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The link gets their source from Friedman's 32 thoughts.

This is what Friedman said: "I think Toronto will do anything they can to keep Pridham. I think they are hopeful that he wants to stay there. But I wouldn't be surprised if in July, Dubas at least asks to talk to him, or anyone else if he'd be interested in that position"

In other words, there is nothing new that we didn't know already.
:laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pridham leaving would be pretty nasty really. I wouldn't be a happy camper for sure and the Leafs organization would be really limping. If all that unfolds and they overpay or get commitments from the players, we can probably expect one of them as UFA to head to Pits as well.

They're operating as a coalition lol.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pridham leaving would be pretty nasty really. I wouldn't be a happy camper for sure and the Leafs organization would be really limping. If all that unfolds and they overpay or get commitments from the players, we can probably expect one of them as UFA to head to Pits as well.

Deny permission. Play dirty against a dirty opponent. Promote Pridham to Lord Exchequer of the Cap.

But then again, maybe the Leafs just re-structure their cap to be a more conventionally balanced team with a distribution of money to a wider base of players. You know, maybe move off the Dubas project. Plus, what can't be figured out in terms of cap management by a really good Excel Spreadsheet?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If it ever came to that, I'd say good riddance.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's a ridiculous narrative that there's some spreadsheet guy who's so good with the rules and regulations that everyone else also adheres to. It's like he's treated as some sort of regulatory escape artist who is on par with a ppg player. The dude doesn't perform magic. He games out scenarios on spreadsheets to see if the numbers balance out. That's not special like the ability to score on an open shot from the top of the faceoff circle against NHL goaltending.

That all being said, it would be nice to see some form of continuity in the Leafs' front office because we all know there will be an exodus of Dubas hires following the draft.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
LOL. *facepalm*
At least Dubas admits the success or the plan failed.
So who is the more foolish, the guy who tried the plan first that failed, or the ones that want to run it back (based on the above) and keep that plan going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad