Confirmed with Link: Spezza tenders resignation - Update 6/14 Named Penguins AGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I liked Spezza as a player here, and I wish him well, but I also couldn’t care less that he went with Dubas. He’s a complete, raw unknown as a front office type, it isn’t a loss of any sort and frankly I’d love someone to point to a single contribution he made here that justifies a AGM gig.

We have no clue what he did... but he could end up being a really good exec or bad, time will tell.

I don't think it is a loss right now, nor do I think he will turn into anything that makes it a huge loss in the future, but people pretending he was a "coffee boy" are idiots, he was shadowing the GM to figure out where he fits.

We lost someone with 1000 games of experience who was a "hockey nerd", not sure the value of that yet, just like everyone here.

Reactions: Buds17

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
That is not how this all played out. Dubas was fired because Dubas wanted his direct supervisors job. If you think he was let go because of money I have a bridge to sell you as well. Trelieving left Calgary on his own because the owners wouldn't get rid of Sutter. Dubas made a power play trying to reduce Shannahans involvement and Shanny canned him.
Precisely.

And that’s why I’d categorize it as:

Dubas was offered a contract as gm. Dubas declined it. (Dubas’s decision. So he wasn’t fired).

After Dubas turned down the gm role he was offered (not fired), Dubas made a separate power play that wasn’t accepted. So both sides agreed to go their separate ways.

Dubas then left to get what he wanted at another organization.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm talking legally ... being relieved of duties but remaining under contract means you're still an employee under contract, just like Babcock.
Fair. But we can agree Babcock didn't resign too right? :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas HIMSELF said he was fired. And yet we have people tryin to argue that he wasn't fired :facepalm:

Treliving wasn't fired from Calgary and his former contract was set to expire and both sides decided to part way amicably.

That is why Calgary allowed Leafs to talk to BT, and also why he can't participate at the draft as part of the agreement to let Leaf talk to a player under contract.

It was Dubas that was cut loose without any ties early from his deal and as such Leafs can't put to restraints on a fired employee. That is why you will see Dubas sitting at the Pens draft table.

'We roll from here': Ex-Maple Leafs GM Dubas releases statement in wake of firing​

Kyle Dubas is taking the high road.

The former Maple Leafs general manager, fired last week to end a stunning five-day stretch in the wake of Toronto's second-round playoff exit, released a statement Tuesday on Twitter but didn't get into specifics regarding his dismissal.

Dubas was abruptly handed his walking papers Friday to cap a tumultuous period that began with a bizarre end-of-season press conference where the 37-year-old executive questioned if he wanted to continue in the role. Leafs president Brendan Shanahan outlined in great deal the process that led to him axing Dubas during a Friday afternoon press conference, hours after Toronto announced it was "parting ways" with the GM.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Treliving wasn't fired from Calgary and his former contract was set to expire and both sides decided to part way amicably.

That is why Calgary allowed Leafs to talk to BT, and also why he can't participate at the draft as part of the agreement to let Leaf talk to a player under contract.

It was Dubas that was cut loose without any ties early from his deal and as such Leafs can't put to restraints on a fired employee. That is why you will see Dubas sitting at the Pens draft table.

'We roll from here': Ex-Maple Leafs GM Dubas releases statement in wake of firing​

Kyle Dubas is taking the high road.

The former Maple Leafs general manager, fired last week to end a stunning five-day stretch in the wake of Toronto's second-round playoff exit, released a statement Tuesday on Twitter but didn't get into specifics regarding his dismissal.

Dubas was abruptly handed his walking papers Friday to cap a tumultuous period that began with a bizarre end-of-season press conference where the 37-year-old executive questioned if he wanted to continue in the role. Leafs president Brendan Shanahan outlined in great deal the process that led to him axing Dubas during a Friday afternoon press conference, hours after Toronto announced it was "parting ways" with the GM.

Dubas and Babcock both had fixed-term contracts, meaning they had to be paid to the end of the contract unless both sides mutually agreed to end it.

Let's be honest here... If a coach/gm is "let go" during the season or during an offseason when their contract will not expire, it is considered being "fired". But if a coach/gm finishes their last season under contract and can't agree on an extension, it is NEVER labeled as being "fired". Dubas is the only one exception to that.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
is there a way to create a mini-side forum on HF so dubas fans can take all the dubas talk there.

I don't wanna see the name dubas anywhere on the Leafs board with what he is doing now in Pittsburgh. don't care about him or pens.

Past decisions of dubas that impacted the Leafs are ok to discuss.

At least my 2 cents.

You can ignore the threads, it is not too hard.

Weird that you need a safe space.

• Haha
Reactions: AcerComputer

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Off-season is real, we're actually debating whether he was fired or just not extended. Who gives a shit, he's gone and not our problem anymore. It is hilarious though that his formula for success is trying the same thing that failed for 5 years in Toronto, on a much older Pittsburgh team with far fewer assets/young talent to work with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas and Babcock both had fixed-term contracts, meaning they had to be paid to the end of the contract unless both sides mutually agreed to end it.

Let's be honest here... If a coach/gm is "let go" during the season or during an offseason when their contract will not expire, it is considered being "fired". But if a coach/gm finishes their last season under contract and can't agree on an extension, it is NEVER labeled as being "fired". Dubas is the only one exception to that.
Dubas couldn't be already working in Pittsburgh with his contract ending June 30th, 2023 naturally with Toronto as it was terminated.

When someone says pack your bags you no longer work here that is usually referred to as being fired. :wg:

Leafs already have a new GM in place, doing the job of the former GM.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Also how can you come on here and say Dubas is the shiftiest character in hockey? We have executives/coaches who have covered up sexual assault, who have physically assaulted players. Who have bullied players, healthy scratched guys for 40 straight games. Coaches/players who have killed people. Give me a break. Dubas isn’t even remotely in that category. Get over it, he left for another job. Boo hoo, we’ve got a new GM now.

That's how you set it up to look like it's not tampering.

He countered Shanahans 4m with 6m +++ which is what essentially he got in PIT. That means he likely knew what they would accept and the whole cry me a river presser that Shanahan asked him not to do was to deliver the goods

It's a cleverly crafted scenario. Choreographed in my opinion of course. Probably under guidance of lawyers and that's why I said hoped. I am not confident they can prove anything of course.

Think what you will though. I think my odds of being right are about 95%

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Don't really care if he got fired or not it ended up for the best in the long run.

Spezza did nothing here he's not a big loss. The fact that Dubas hired him as an AGM instead of the GM shows that he's nothing.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Dubas couldn't be already working in Pittsburgh with his contract ending June 30th, 2023 naturally, if it was simply a not being extended situation.

When someone says pack your bags you no longer work here that is usually referred to as being fired. :wg:

Leafs already have a new GM in place, doing the job of the former GM.
"Dubas and Babcock both had fixed-term contracts, meaning they had to be paid to the end of the contract unless both sides mutually agreed to end it."

Check the bolded of my above quote. If anything, the leafs gave Dubas a favor that Calgary was unwilling to do for Treviling. Calgary at first wouldn't even let Treviling talk to other teams.

It was Shanahan who opted to not extend Lamoriello in 2018. Why did nobody label him as "Being fired'? Is your argument that any time a team chooses not to extend the contract of an executive, it's "getting fired"?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That's how you set it up to look like it's not tampering.

He countered Shanahans 4m with 6m +++ which is what essentially he got in PIT. That means he likely knew what they would accept and the whole cry me a river presser that Shanahan asked him not to do was to deliver the goods

It's a cleverly crafted scenario. Choreographed in my opinion of course. Probably under guidance of lawyers and that's why I said hoped. I am not confident they can prove anything of course.

Think what you will though. I think my odds of being right are about 95%

Not tampering and honestly who gives af. Half of you wanted him gone, so who cares. He’s gone!! I’ve never seen a group of people who wanted someone out complain so much about how they left. Does it really matter at the end of the day?

Reactions: ACC1224

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Not tampering and honestly who gives af. Half of you wanted him gone, so who cares. He’s gone!! I’ve never seen a group of people who wanted someone out complain so much about how they left. Does it really matter at the end of the day?
It does. Because it exposes Dubas for the snake many of us said he was :) It's just inconvenient for the homers. Dubas screwed this team right proper.We can move on when y'all eat your crow :)

Reactions: thewave

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It does. Because it exposes Dubas for the snake many of us said he was :) It's just inconvenient for the homers. Dubas screwed this team right proper.We can move on when y'all eat your crow :)

I don’t care man LOL. Dubas leaving or staying had no affect on me as a fan. Don’t really care who the GM is. I didn’t hate Dubas, i wasn’t in love with Dubas and I sure as hell ain’t gonna whine like the little kids I teach cause he found his way to Pittsburgh.
Wah wah, Dubas left us for Pittsburgh oh noooo LMAO, he isn’t a loyal guy boohoooo

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Dubas did what was rignt for him.

If another organization offered me a massive raise and promotion I would have taken it.

Shanny did what was right for the organization at that time. He told his subordinate not to speak to the media. He did it anyway and said he didn’t know if he want to continue publicly.

Then he asked for more power and money.

I would have canned him too. Imagine it goes south? Why did you hire the guy who said he didn’t want to be here? Crazy talk.

The issue is that dubas clearly engineered this. The idea that he just asked for more and spezza quit 10 minutes after and just so happened to end up at the new job no one had any idea was coming? Come on…..

Lots of people end up just by coincidence with the “friend” they told their partners not to worry about.

But nothing ever happened before right?

Reactions: thewave and howlman

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don’t care man LOL. Dubas leaving or staying had no affect on me as a fan. Don’t really care who the GM is. I didn’t hate Dubas, i wasn’t in love with Dubas and I sure as hell ain’t gonna whine like the little kids I teach cause he found his way to Pittsburgh.
Wah wah, Dubas left us for Pittsburgh oh noooo LMAO, he isn’t a loyal guy boohoooo
The cope never gets less comical from the Dube ANons. LOL

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Fair. Then we can stop pretending he wasn't shit canned :)

Again, what are you on about? I said he was fired. I just think it’s a weird flex to go on on and on about Dubas doing what’s best for himself. It has no bearing on your life whatsoever. Additionally Dubas/Spezza doesn’t even know you exist.

These types of moves are very common in sports. It sucks when it happens to us. But TORONTO has been the beneficiary of those types of moves in the past.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Dubas was canned…..the only thing I see wrong with it is that it wasn’t done a year or two earlier

Reactions: thewave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad