Confirmed with Link: Spezza requests trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Except Spezza is totally justified, why the hell would he want to play in a city where the fans blame everything on him? If I were Spezza I would do the exact same thing, I wouldn't want to play for this piece of **** fanbase.

Huge assumption, HUGE.

You are completely ignoring the facts and just being emotional.

Fact: Spezza signed a $49M USD contract for seven years to play in Ottawa, the city according to you where the fans/media blame him for everything.

Fact: Less than one year ago, Spezza clearly stated he wanted to be captain of this team and lead it into the future.

So obviously after 10 years, all the lousy fans and media weren't bothering Spezza last fall.

It is too easy to blame the fans or the media for Spezza's weaknesses on the ice.

These things are on Spezza.

IMO there is a more likely explanation for the potential trade.

Management realizes without JS changing his game to some extent, they can't win with him without spending more money than is affordable and even then, no guarantee.

Management/coaches want to establish a work ethic based culture for this young team, a job that is impossible to accomplish if the captain doesn't offer and show his full support.

At the yearend interviews MacLean/Murray provide Spezza with their feedback, explaining, as captain, he needed to embrace the idea of change and work with MacLean.

What happened after that is anyone's guess, but IMO it lead to where the two sides are today.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People are still digging into this draft? Yeah the top isn't sure fire star calibre players. But after that it's still a normal draft. Lots of luck involved.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The top 5 sucks but after that until 40ish overall is normal, then its pure trash of prospects.

Yeah, as another poster noted, the top 5 are comparable to several of the last few drafts and the top 3 in particular. Not quite on par with last year, but certainly comparable to the two years before that. But after 5, then there's a pretty good drop off.

Basically, it's not a great year to be drafting between 7-20, as there is a wide disparity of opinions on guys in that range. The guy picked at 30 might be ranked ahead of the guy picked 10th by several different teams. It's actually not a bad year to give up the 11th overall, although I'm sure our scouts would pick a good one at that spot. But they might get the same guy at 25 as they were going to pick at 11.

As such, if we get a 1st back in a Spezza deal, whether it's the 10th or 25th, I think we'll actually get a comparable player either way.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Huge assumption, HUGE.

You are completely ignoring the facts and just being emotional.

Fact: Spezza signed a $49M USD contract for seven years to play in Ottawa, the city according to you where the fans/media blame him for everything.

Fact: Less than one year ago, Spezza clearly stated he wanted to be captain of this team and lead it into the future.

So obviously after 10 years, all the lousy fans and media weren't bothering Spezza last fall.

It is too easy to blame the fans or the media for Spezza's weaknesses on the ice.

These things are on Spezza.

IMO there is a more likely explanation for the potential trade.

Management realizes without JS changing his game to some extent, they can't win with him without spending more money than is affordable and even then, no guarantee.

Management/coaches want to establish a work ethic based culture for this young team, a job that is impossible to accomplish if the captain doesn't offer and show his full support.

At the yearend interviews MacLean/Murray provide Spezza with their feedback, explaining, as captain, he needed to embrace the idea of change and work with MacLean.

What happened after that is anyone's guess, but IMO it lead to where the two sides are today.

Great post.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have a hard time believing that the team asking him to make changes to his game is what got Spezza to want out. It seems a bit surreal that a professional athelte would balk at something like that after the year the team had and Jason being a first-year captain.

If that's the case then good riddance to bad rubbish but it just sounds a bit out there. I wonder if they started talking about an extension and things went south, that coupled with everything else makes more sense to me.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The budget is the most believable reason. The others could just be add-ons or the breaking point.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza has been pissed at the fans before a couple years back he was booed in the playoffs and told Murray he wouldnt mind a trade out of ottawa

It is probably the desire to win as well as the fans. I think it is clear he is telling the team he is not going to sign with them going forward

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
You can't play like a primadonna and lead a team. Hockey is a tough game. You need a leader who leads by example. This team will not win with him here. Bring in a couple tougher, less skilled players who go to the wall for the team and you will see improvement. I don't mean fighting I mean Battling.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You can't play like a primadonna and lead a team. Hockey is a tough game. You need a leader who leads by example. This team will not win with him here. Bring in a couple tougher, less skilled players who go to the wall for the team and you will see improvement. I don't mean fighting I mean Battling.

Evweryone is an expert on what qualities NHL players want in their captains. You'd think everyone here has played hockey at a high level to know these kinds of things. Must be the case.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

everything from management to coaching and team members have all said spezza is a great person in the lockerroom

I really doubt bringing in less skilled 'tougher' players will make us a better team. You still have to score

kaws

Apr 10, 2010

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
That's the exact opposite of what all the scouts/experts are saying. There is a clear top 5, then a drop-off where guys can go anywhere among 2-3 tiers.

The way I see it is that there's a clear cut number 1 (Ekblad). After that there's a second tier of about 5-6 prospects. The first round of the draft after about the 10th pick is going to be a crapshoot. If you have a first round pick you are going to get a good player. Second round is where the talent really drops. After around 45-50 there's a significant drop. If we could get the 10th pick then we would get a very good prospect. Even with our 40th pick we'll still be getting a good player.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
You dont need to be an expert to ask a question....

You need to be an expert to tell a player he cheap shot a guy during a media scrum. Otherwise, you are asking to get chewed out.

On another note, as someone has previously mentioned, while there is no 'Malkin' or 'Ovechkin' (not that we know of at least, maybe a Datsyuk or Alfredsson type player in the later rounds?) type of surefire stars in this draft, Ekblad seems like he is likely going to be a capable NHL d-man, if nothing else.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The way I see it is that there's a clear cut number 1 (Ekblad). After that there's a second tier of about 5-6 prospects. The first round of the draft after about the 10th pick is going to be a crapshoot. If you have a first round pick you are going to get a good player. Second round is where the talent really drops. After around 45-50 there's a significant drop. If we could get the 10th pick then we would get a very good prospect. Even with our 40th pick we'll still be getting a good player.

Hockey Prospect‘s has Ekblad 3rd
Red line Report has Ekblad 2nd
ISS has Ekblad 2nd
Future Considerations has Ekblad 1st

I'm not sure where McKeens has Ekblad, but they had him ranked 2nd in March.

I guess what I'm saying is there isn't a clear consensus that Ekblad is the BPA.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
ISS has Ekblad 2nd

I guess what I'm saying is there isn't a clear consensus that Ekblad is the BPA.

Not among these services, but when listening to Tim Murray, he made it quite clear whoever gets 1st will 100% be taking Ekblad

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
ISS has Ekblad 2nd

I'm with Future Considerations and a few of the other scouts strongly believe that Ekblad is the consensus number 1! I personally think he is the best player too after watching him this year :)

I think Florida on record said they will take Ekblad if they don't trade the pick. Same with Calgary! But you're right, you never know just my opinion.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm with Future Considerations and a few of the other scouts strongly believe that Ekblad is the consensus number 1! I personally think he is the best player too after watching him this year :)

I think Florida on record said they will take Ekblad if they don't trade the pick. Same with Calgary! But you're right, you never know just my opinion.

OH, FC means Future Considerations!

And here I thought your username meant Conor Football Club. :laugh:

Florida would be wise to grab Ekblad — although they've put themselves into a great position, regardless. Their system is so stocked that they can afford to draft on BPA alone (whoever they may think that is) without even slight consideration given to position.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I loved Sutton in his short time here. I remember Thrasher fans telling us how awful he was, and they couldn't fathom that maybe he got better since he left.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
OH, FC means Future Considerations!

And here I thought your username meant Conor Football Club. :laugh:

Florida would be wise to grab Ekblad — although they've put themselves into a great position, regardless. Their system is so stocked that they can afford to draft on BPA alone (whoever they may think that is) without even slight consideration given to position.

Nope :laugh: I do the regional scouting for the Ottawa area. So I scout a lot of Jr A and OHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not among these services, but when listening to Tim Murray, he made it quite clear whoever gets 1st will 100% be taking Ekblad

I guess the point is, there likely isn't league wide consensus like there was with Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby. I think best case this is like a Seguin vs Hall scenario, but even then I'm not sure. Some teams may even have Reinhart ahead of both (like ISS does).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad