Confirmed with Link: Spezza Assistant General Manager

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
You know, you're right. This whole time I've hired based on qualifications in addition to possibly have potential to grow into other roles as well as their personality and fit within the team.

In the real world, if your buddy reasonably meets those criteria, he probably gets the job. And it's not even necessarily irrational. You can better project his personality and fit, so it's less time invested.

Reactions: Freeptop

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Remember when Mario made his mates scouts when they had jack shit for experience? Like Stevens was fresh out of rehab from snorting lines off of hookers asses and into a scouting role. Famous now for the Marino thing.

I mean these blokes at least had some experience with hockey which I guess I can live with. But I remember when Jim Benning hired his nephew as a scout and that lad was working security at nordstom rack.

None of what Hextall did is abnormal at the NHL level. Hell that shit isn't even out of the norm in the NFL or NBA. But to make such a f***ing stink about it with Hextall vs the rest that did that was some supreme petty shit.
Hextall is as bad as anyone, come on. He hired his own kid here, plus Pryor, Pryor’s kid, his son’s college coach, Hakstol, (with no NHL experience) and his son’s prep coach to work for the Monarchs.

Reactions: Zbynek

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Remember when Mario made his mates scouts when they had jack shit for experience? Like Stevens was fresh out of rehab from snorting lines off of hookers asses and into a scouting role. Famous now for the Marino thing.

I mean these blokes at least had some experience with hockey which I guess I can live with. But I remember when Jim Benning hired his nephew as a scout and that lad was working security at nordstom rack.

None of what Hextall did is abnormal at the NHL level. Hell that shit isn't even out of the norm in the NFL or NBA. But to make such a f***ing stink about it with Hextall vs the rest that did that was some supreme petty shit.
I always saw the Stevens thing mostly as a way to keep him from falling off the wagon again...keep a close eye.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
His resume is basically one season of making Starbucks runs in Toronto, that’s it. No other qualifications.
he has the same qualifications as just about any other person in one of these entry level front office positions. theres no way to say this hire is anything but whelming because its almost impossible to evaluate good or bad

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
he has the same qualifications as just about any other person in one of these entry level front office positions. theres no way to say this hire is anything but whelming because its almost impossible to evaluate good or bad
He also spent a lifetime in the NHL as a top player for his club(s). There’s room to grow as an executive, but it’s not like he had 0 knowledge of how the inner workings of an NHL club were conducted before he transitioned.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
He also spent a lifetime in the NHL as a top player for his club(s). There’s room to grow as an executive, but it’s not like he had 0 knowledge of how the inner workings of an NHL club were conducted before he transitioned.
yeah ime these kinds of hires are almost always long serving nhl vets, ahl tweeners that retired early and got an mba, or whiz kids from compsci programs

Reactions: farscape1

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I don't think this really matters all that much. Dubas is going to hire the people he likes to work with but Dubas is the one calling the shots. And as said before me, better than hiring your own son like Sleepy did.

Reactions: Factorial

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of the influential player to influential executive pipeline (still preferable to the pure nepotism hire)...but, like, we all knew Spezza was a future GM by his mid-20s right? Some people are just right for certain types of roles. Spezza always struck me as the type of person who'd make a living in hockey even if he couldn't play it.

I have no clue if he's going to be any good at it yet, nor does anyone here, but I'm intrigued and willing to give him a chance.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of the influential player to influential executive pipeline...but, like, we all knew Spezza was a future GM by his mid-20s right? Some people are just right for certain types of roles. Spezza always struck me as the type of person who'd make a living in hockey even if he couldn't play it.

I have no clue if he's going to be any good at it yet, nor does anyone here, but I'm intrigued and willing to give him a chance.

Please change your profile pic, I have childhood trauma of "Mårran" (Groke in English?).

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Eh, maybe this is Dubas throwing his new ride-or-die a bone or maybe he thinks it's a very capable fit for him. If history is any indication then Dubas will likely have a whole cadre of folks in his hockey ops; this is getting the attention because it's the first. Because he's the one readily available. If Spezza got hired to be the third AGM after maybe a true GM and then other A's like Lawrence or Ventura then I doubt it even rates a fart in the wind.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
a09824ee-47a9-4d6b-aaeb-a149806991f8_text.gif

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad