Spezza Appreciation Thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Spezza's fight had an impact on the team can we say it's the greatest fight in Maple Leafs history?

Greatest fight no.
But I hope it provides an understanding of you aren’t going to just “skill” your way to a Cup.
Skill took over for us in the last 5 minutes. But you needed grit, intensity, forecheck at all times in the first 55.
Spezza respect right here though.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Paraphrasing myself from last night

It's quite possible that the impact of Jason Spezza's play in this series (and last night) will go far beyond this playoff and play a big role in the maturation of the core. This is a guy that was centre Marner/Nylander, that was Matthews lite. A top offensive player in the league that in his prime never really "got it" it terms of intensity,that fell short on the powerhouse offensive team and is now chasing championship dreams as a depth player.

Can you imagine how impactful prime Jason Spezza would have been playing with this same fire and willingness to get dirty? Does it win Ottawa a cup? Having a guy sitting cupless at 37 having that realization is one hell of a message to our kids.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Spez almost knocked him out with that one shot :)
Wouldn’t want him beat up but no worries there he was twerkin that big bomb right in to that kisser sires

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezio Auditor

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Still has a hell-of-a-shot too. Was never big fan, but always respected his shot and skill. Now he has just added another layer to that..as it is true that he bleeds blue and white now. Great moment. Lets hope it was a series changer.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Went to a game just before the stop.

Ottawa At Toronto.

he was by far our best player that game. Leafs won 2-1. He scored. He was dangerous all night.

He deserves every minute Keefe gives him.

Dubas has to see what this team lacks. That fourth line is grit. They can keep it in the Ozone and get rest for the top players to come back and get the job done.

Reactions: qqaz

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
If Spezza's fight had an impact on the team can we say it's the greatest fight in Maple Leafs history?

Why do we have to be like this every time we witness a good play and add so much unnecessary pressure? It's so unnecessary, so over the top. It's an elimination non series clinching game in "round 0" of the playoffs. If that's the best they've ever offered that's awfully sad for a team that's been around as long as they have. It's not like the Leafs rallied right after that but got scored on again. Just enjoy a good display of heart instead of falling to recency bias and best this or best that

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think the fight was an "Oh f***" moment for the big 4. Spezza is them 10 years from now, if they dont win theyll end up 4th line goons chasing a cup.

Thats not supposed to be a knock on Spezza. He has won the hearts of Leaf fans everywhere with his game last night which is big considering he was public enemy #2 around here a decade ago.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Loved the heart he showed, but we played another lifeless period after that fight and gave up a big unforced goal.

I don't think they randomly remembered a fight from the second period to spark them late.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Loved the heart he showed, but we played another lifeless period after that fight and have up a big unforced goal.

I don't think they randomly remembered a fight from the second period to spark them late.
Game 2, Clifford destroys Kukan with an early, tone-setting hit, and the Leafs win handily. Game 4 Leafs are down, and have no life or momentum so Spezza dukes it out with Kukan, and Leafs win with a stunning comeback. He showed that he was willing to do anything at all to win. It doesn't mean that it had to wake the team up right away. But it's something that could be pointed to for the rest of the game....and probably was.

2 vets with tons of experience knowing what to do. Invaluable.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Game 2, Clifford destroys Kukan with an early, tone-setting hit, and the Leafs win handily. Game 4 Leafs are down, and have no life or momentum so Spezza dukes it out with Kukan, and Leafs win with a stunning comeback. He showed that he was willing to do anything at all to win. It doesn't mean that it had to wake the team up right away. But it's something that could be pointed to for the rest of the game....and probably was.

2 vets with tons of experience knowing what to do. Invaluable.
They did what they had to and that's great, but there wasn't a real spark from it. The intensity pushed up for a few minutes and we had a few scrums, then it fizzled by the end of the period.

Awesome for Spezza to make that effort and happy he did, but it didn't turn things around

kb

Aug 28, 2009
They did what they had to and that's great, but there wasn't a real spark from it. The intensity pushed up for a few minutes and we had a few scrums, then it fizzled by the end of the period.

Awesome for Spezza to make that effort and happy he did, but it didn't turn things around
You can't say it didn't....I am sure that was a rallying point no matter what.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why do we have to be like this every time we witness a good play and add so much unnecessary pressure? It's so unnecessary, so over the top. It's an elimination non series clinching game in "round 0" of the playoffs. If that's the best they've ever offered that's awfully sad for a team that's been around as long as they have. It's not like the Leafs rallied right after that but got scored on again. Just enjoy a good display of heart instead of falling to recency bias and best this or best that
Until last night when was the last time a Leafs player had a legit fight in a playoff game and it wasn't because of a dirty hit?

Reactions: qqaz

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
This guy deserves his own thread.

Whatever happens this play-in/offs, Spezza has been great all season.

Never thought I'd say that given his association with the Sens way back but wow.

He's the father of this team. And he's better than Marleau sorry not sorry.

My favorite Senators of all time, I hate you guys hah, but I would love to see him raise the cup.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Can't believe that egotistical buffoon scratched him in the opener in some absurd showing of power and control. What a fantastic pickup by Dubas for league minimum. Not only proving to be a fantastic leader, but also, he's still got game. His line was really dangerous, and he scored at a good clip for a bottom six player this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can't believe that egotistical buffoon scratched him in the opener in some absurd showing of power and control. What a fantastic pickup by Dubas for league minimum. Not only proving to be a fantastic leader, but also, he's still got game. His line was really dangerous, and he scored at a good clip for a bottom six player this season.
Let's not forget in training camp Babcock said he didn't know what Spezza's role would be. I remember thinking to myself he's still younger compared to Patrick Marleau and Babcock had no problems finding a regular spot for him in the lineup.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’ve been loving his game all year. Hope he signs for another 1-2 years, though it’ll have to be near league minimum again, as we’ve got crazy cap trouble coming up. But I’d very much like to see a Clifford/Spezza/Barbanov 4th line next year, if we can bring back Clifford too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad