Spezza Appreciation Thread

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
I've always been a fan of Spezza. Loved him when he played for the Sens and love him even more now.

Reactions: qqaz

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Did Domi ever have any fights in a playoff game that changed the momentum?

I know there was that fight between Clark and Marty McSorley in the 1993 Western Conference Final, however in the end Toronto didn't win that series.

Spezza fighting was great don’t get me wrong but those other two had some legendary tilts. Including my personal favourite Domi fights a drunk fan.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's been a great addition and has been so useful since Keefe arrived. He's very loved in the room, I'm so happy the boys got him that win. I have never ever seen Spezza fight and I've seen alot of hockey. He used to torture me as a kid when he was on the Sens. Glad we took him out in the playoffs.

Glad he's on this side of the fence. The right side. His hometown.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He said he wanted to chase a cup with his childhood team, that’s heart.
It's basically the same reason John Tavares wanted to sign in Toronto. The only difference is one of them is currently making $11 million AAV and the other is making $700,000 AAV.

Although it's not like Spezza didn't make any money during his previous 16 years in the NHL before signing in Toronto, so for him this season it was not about the money.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He's been a great addition and has been so useful since Keefe arrived. He's very loved in the room, I'm so happy the boys got him that win. I have never ever seen Spezza fight and I've seen alot of hockey. He used to torture me as a kid when he was on the Sens. Glad we took him out in the playoffs.

Glad he's on this side of the fence. The right side. His hometown.
Right before Babcock was fired wasn't there a report that Spezza was about to be put on waivers since they were about to get their other injured players back, so he would have been the one forced out of the lineup. However it just so happened someone else got injured he was forced to keep playing Spezza. I want to say it was after they won that shootout on November 2, 2019 against Philadelphia when Spezza scored his first goal as a Leaf and he scored in the shootout, however in their next game Babcock made him a healthy scratch.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Fantastic veteran and useful player. He has shown some leadership and today he showed it in a big way.
Should be kept around for sure.
Love the guy.
I read somewhere that Spezza wants to keep playing only in Toronto if Dubas is able to re-sign him. If that can't happen I believe they will offer him some front office job. That says a lot considering he's only played here 1 season and had a lot more years in Ottawa.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Give him the Dickey Clune treatment. Keep signing cheap 1 year deals while he can still play, then keep him around as some kind of specialized coach/mentor type after that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's basically the same reason John Tavares wanted to sign in Toronto. The only difference is one of them is currently making $11 million AAV and the other is making $700,000 AAV.

Although it's not like Spezza didn't make any money during his previous 16 years in the NHL before signing in Toronto, so for him this season it was not about the money.
Also one is still in his prime and the other in his twilight

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Watching Spezza last night was beautiful. You could feel him saying he wasn’t going with a whimper. He knew when he dropped the gloves that it could be his last game. Goes for the spark and tried for the even-up.

Easy to see why Babs scratched him for the opener.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I was at his first game in the OHL as a member of the Brampton Battalion, I think he was like 15 as an underager, 16 for sure.

Followed him ever since, used to mock him for the giggles when he was on the Sens, used to fear him on that Sens PP with Heatley and Krusty the clown.

Happy that he came home basically for no other reason than to try to win a cup on his childhood team. $700k is chump change compared to what he's made over the course of his career.

I'd be all about signing jumbo Joe if he'd be willing to do the same. He'd be a monster for a 4th line C

Reactions: nofehr

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Always important to identify a veteran contributor that can help fill out the roster affordably. Good signing.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Love to see that emotion from him.

He signed here for so cheap because he felt this team has a legit shot at a cup, and this is his childhood team. Can't imagine getting bounced in this first round was making him too happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad