Spezza Appreciation Thread

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
ItIt really makes me happy to have this guy on the Leafs. He's smart positionaly, driven, good on the dot, and can move to wing.

I honestly think he could fill in on a top 2 line in a pinch. He could handle any role for a couple periods. I'd enjoy seeing him take somesome shifts with Marner or Nylander if AM or JT were briefly unavailable.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
That is what experience won't teach I am sure he wish he dropped them with the Sens in the finals. You never know when your next shot is.
FB_IMG_1596922208397.jpg

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
As a Sens fan, my love for the giggle machine outweighs my dislike of the Leafs. And if he got a cup in Toronto I wouldn't be upset or conflicted at all, I'd be straight up happy for him.

Very quietly become one of my favorite players on this roster. Consummate professional. Seven career fights, with one of those last night. Vet move. When things get tough these guys just state at the ceiling. It was good to see Spezza reminding them that they should be pissed the f*** off. I respect that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
My favorite Senators of all time, I hate you guys hah, but I would love to see him raise the cup.
But we love you guys! Thats why we all come to visit and fill your building ;)
You guys will be rockin in a couple years after this draft. It’s so looking good for you’s right now. Rock the draft and bring on that rivalry ok

Reactions: kb

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
As a Sens fan, my love for the giggle machine outweighs my dislike of the Leafs. And if he got a cup in Toronto I wouldn't be upset or conflicted at all, I'd be straight up happy for him.

I've always liked the Spez Dispenser. He just comes across as a congenial person who never complains about anything and does not put himself ahead of the team.

Reactions: kb and saffronleaf

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This man, who was once a superstar in this league. At this age drops the glove, embraces the 4th line role
Why? because he wants to play for his home town team

And he was benched first game at home against Ottawa?

F($( you Babcock

This is the kind of think Babcock wanted him to do. Spezza didn't do it, so he didn't play. Now he's doing it, and he's earning more ice.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
9900ud-wendelclark.jpg

It's weird star players end up on another team 17 years into their career.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
9900ud-wendelclark.jpg

It's weird star players end up on another team 17 years into their career.
Prior to that Clark had already played for the Nordiques, Islanders, Lightning and Red Wings before playing for the Blackhawks.

Plus in between that was the Islanders trading him back to the Leafs and the Blackhawks eventually let him go during the 1999-00 season and he returned to Toronto for a third and final time.

Reactions: Buds17

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs’ Jason Spezza will not go down without a fight, literally - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO – To understand what it means to the Toronto Maple Leafs that Jason Spezza picked a fight, chucked his gloves and started throwing rights at Dean Kukan’s face with the season looking lost Friday night, you should know a few things.

You should know that Spezza, 37, grew up a Leafs fan in this city and that he agreed to skate minimal minutes here for the lowest amount of money the club could legally agree to pay him.

You should know that already this week he’s watched some of his ring-chasing contemporaries, like Henrik Lundqvist and Patrick Marleau, get kicked out of the Eastern Conference bubble with, quite literally, no fanfare.

And you should know that he has four daughters aged 10 and under: Sophia, Nicola, Anna and Julia. Sometimes he reads them children’s books authored by Zach Hyman.

When Spezza kissed his girls goodbye and moved into a hotel so close yet so impenetrably far away in order to play “road” games like Game 4’s 4-3 stunner over Columbus, they understood why their father would be FaceTime-only for two months, best-case scenario.

“They know Daddy’s got a dream,” Spezza said. “Trying to win a Stanley Cup as a Maple Leaf is something I dreamed of as a kid.”

This isn’t sacrifice. This is choice. This is opportunity, perhaps one last.

So, it wasn’t that Spezza got caught up in the emotions of Elimination Night that he fought for just the seventh time in an NHL career that spans 1,207 games. It was that — after watching the Maple Leafs give up six unanswered goals in the series — he was trying to inject some emotions.

No way the young guys who affectionately nicknamed him “Vintage” and picked his brain for face-off tips could possibly feel as desperate as the old fourth-liner with no job security for 2020-21. But he could help them come close.

“Just trying to spark the guys,” Spezza explained of the five-minute major, which drew a chorus of stick slaps from the bench. “Just trying to show some desperation and have some pushback. Without the crowd, you don’t have that. Just trying to create some emotion and play the role that I’m in. Trying to get everyone going.”

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was born one day before Jason Spezza in Toronto and grew up playing hockey and cheering for the Leafs just the same, so I'd say our fandom overlaps the exact same memories as kids. And when I see the Leafs down and out I always get so mad that there isn't someone on the team willing to run through a wall to make something happen, or care, or want to drive to the net and just run a goalie as I still dream of doing in those desperate situations. And when we saw that Spezza fight just to breathe some life to his team, I was so proud of the guy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was born one day before Jason Spezza in Toronto and grew up playing hockey and cheering for the Leafs just the same, so I'd say our fandom overlaps the exact same memories as kids. And when I see the Leafs down and out I always get so mad that there isn't someone on the team willing to run through a wall to make something happen, or care, or want to drive to the net and just run a goalie as I still dream of doing in those desperate situations. And when we saw that Spezza fight just to breathe some life to his team, I was so proud of the guy.
Looking at what Spezza has contributed to the Leafs this season I wonder what was it about him that Mike Babcock did not like that made him a healthy scratch on opening night? Was it that Kyle Dubas signed him without telling him advance or was it that he replaced Patrick Marleau as the veteran leader and Babcock took that out on him because of spite.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

I used to hate Spezza when he was with the Sens. Because I hated the Sens so much and I still do

But inside of me though was so envious of that team. So much raw talent in Jason back in the day. I still remember the preseason goal he set up going around the world, spinning around our net and undressing Bryan Mcabe.

Him and Lecaviare, Jagr and very few others of that era was the last of classic stick handlers. You just don't see that kind of stick handling anymore.
Now it's all about puck protection and board work.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This line is due for a goal. Would be so clutch if they can get us the 1-0 lead tonight.

This is crazy true. Very few 4th lines have the scoring prowess ours does. Seeing them make a difference on the scoreboard would be great.

Tough for them to get many goals getting reduced ice time. But they've done well overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad