Confirmed with Link: Spencer Martin Extended 1 Year, 775k

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
A stopgap of a move if there ever was one, but can’t complain about free. They needed another body, really anyone that could suit up behind Raanta.
Yeah, stopgap until Koochie is back, then hold him as a 3rd goalie for a while, if Andersen ever comes back we can just throw him back on waivers. Which is perfectly fine given the prices and paychecks of the goalies on the trade market.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Nice. We don’t want Elvis, we want the guy you benched Elvis for.
And we want him for free!

In all seriousness, I think Elvis could actually be a really good pickup for some team longer term- one of the issues he's had is the cannon triggering PTSD from the firework tragedy, and I'm sure just general memories in that rink aren't helping. I've always seen his struggles as plain old mental health, and being able to get a clean mental break away from that situation (and away from the cannon) by getting out of Columbus will almost certainly help him immensely.

But the brutality of pro sports is that that contract has trapped him there and made it near impossible for any other team to take him on as a project.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Kind of tells me that Andersen is done. Because we have to carry him the rest of the year and I don't think the Canes want to carry 4 goalies on their roster.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Kind of tells me that Andersen is done. Because we have to carry him the rest of the year and I don't think the Canes want to carry 4 goalies on their roster.
No they don’t they will waive him if they need to. Wouldn’t rule out Martin taking Raanta’s spot as the backup if he shows he can make saves. Wouldn’t read into stats too much on that horrible Columbus team

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
No they don’t they will waive him if they need to. Wouldn’t rule out Martin taking Raanta’s spot as the backup if he shows he can make saves. Wouldn’t read into stats too much on that horrible Columbus team
And even if Martin goes unclaimed, $765K is able to be completely buried in the AHL.

I don't think this move says anything about Andersen either way. If he's done they can still make another move. If Andersen can come back, Martin can be waived and claimed or play in the AHL.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
The way I read the rule, they can waive him but if no team picks him up, the Canes have to keep him on the roster. We have to keep him for 30 days or 10 games anyway now.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
MV5BNTdkZGFkZmUtN2YyZi00YzMyLTk0OWQtNzE5NzI2NTQyM2U4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

I expect hard playing in Boston.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Well Freddy ain’t gonna be back in 10 games anyways
He has to play 10 games, Now I'm not sure if that means a goalie too but the rule says
Once a player has been claimed off waivers, they cannot be placed on waivers again for at least 30 days or until they have played in at least 10 games for their new team.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The way I read the rule, they can waive him but if no team picks him up, the Canes have to keep him on the roster. We have to keep him for 30 days or 10 games anyway now.
And if they have a desperate need of a roster spot, they can put someone on IR. I was going to say Kochetkov, but he's on IR to make space for Martin.

Once Kochetkov is healthy, Perets goes down to Norfolk.

It won't be a cap issue, they have space to make a move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad