nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So do we know his official title?

Is he director of player personnel?

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
oilerbear and The Nuge have got it.

I can't stress enough that it's up to the General Manager to identify what players the scouts should procure. If the GM wants to find refrigerators with character, then the scouts are going to find the best refrigerators with character that they can.

Our problems are twofold: 1) we had a GM in Tambellini who stressed so-called 'safe' picks over possible home runs; and 2) we haven't had good player development.

For one example, all of Pitlick, Martindale, and Hamilton should've stayed in the CHL for their 20 year old seasons yet didn't. All needed more time in junior. For a second example, Paajarvi-Svensson and Lander should have both stayed another year in the SEL, and Lander should have started in the AHL. For yet another example, we've had our management interfering in coaching decisions since who knows how long. Renney spoke about how much pressure he was under to play the kids even though he didn't think they were ready.

This isn't on Stu.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer

I can't stress enough that it's up to the General Manager to identify what players the scouts should procure. If the GM wants to find refrigerators with character, then the scouts are going to find the best refrigerators with character that they can.

Our problems are twofold: 1) we had a GM in Tambellini who stressed so-called 'safe' picks over possible home runs; and 2) we haven't had good player development.

This isn't on Stu.

There's nothing wrong with those instructions.

What it means is pick the kid most likely to play in the NHL.

The problem is that Stu took those instructions and ran out and picked Musil over Jenner or Saad.

This is on Stu.

Last edited:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

The problem is that Stu takes these instructions and runs out and picks Musil over Jenner or Saad.

This is on Stu.

I agree! What ever category we are filling for team need we have to draft the guys that have the best possibility of making it. Pick after pick can't have development problems because they went to a higher league early.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

The problem is that Stu took those instructions and ran out and picked Musil over Jenner or Saad.

This is on Stu.

I sort of agree. It's on Stu and the rest of the scouting staff. For all we know, our OHL guy told stu to stay way from Jenner Saad because he was underwhelming instead of being bored. Jenner might have been labeled as not having offensive upside instead of not being put in an offensive role. These scouts need to do more then watch a player. Scouts need to talk to coaches and trainers to get a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
How is it damning of Stu that he accurately assessed a player? Landeskog is not a first liner

I don't think it is that bad actually, but I would not be so casual and say that he accurately assessed Landeskog. 3rd liner with best case scenario 2nd liner playing all situations.

Apart from a sophomore slump he's been top 30 LW every season so far in terms of points and goals, top 10 last season (but that was a bit of an odd season for COL).

Hindsight is easy but a more accurate assessment would probably be just to change the line numbers in that one, i.e. "he's going to be a 2nd line player who could be a good 1st line player" and best case: "1st line player who plays in all key sitautions for you".

Not that it matters really, he wasn't that far off, and we still picked the right player.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Oh boy! Bob Green gets his official title. Director of .... Blah, blah, blah.

The forensic has gotten to the bottom of things. They've discovered that mysterious, illusive problem in the organization that has been invisible, and no one could see it.

But, fear not; they've got it now. It's nobodies fault!!! Who would have guessed. All they have to do is promote someone from below to above, and BOOM! It will all correct itself.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If Green can honestly be credited for building the Oilkings, this is going to excite me.

Sure Green was a good GM for the Oilkings, but a lot of their team while he was in charge was due to drafting unbelievable in the WHL Draft. And I give all that credit to Randy Hansch. He was the one in charge of watching the bantams and recommending those players to Bob(Randy has since taken over GM of Oilkings since Bob left). GM's of WHL teams rarely watch bantam aged players play and its all the Director of player personnel and regional scouts.

I am not down playing Bob Green at all but people just have to remember that GM's of junior teams make the trades and do most of the recruiting of American players and Euros but not much of the bantam draft. If Oilers keep making changes, I can see Bob Green eventually taking over as the GM and him hiring Randy Hansch as his right hand man. If that happens, then I would be extremely excited for the Oilers franchise.

Here are some of the players that Randy Hansch and scouts recommended and ended up drafting as 14 year old bantam aged kids that built the Oil kings into a power house....

Mark Pysyk(Buff 1st)
Michael St. Croix(NYR 4th)
Laurant Broissat(CGY 6th, now in OKC)
Travis Ewanyk(Oils 3rd)
Keegan Lowe(CAR 3rd)
Griffin Reinhart(NYI 1st)
Mitch Moroz(OIL 2nd)
Curtis Lazar(OTT 1st)
Tristan Jarry(PITTS 2nd)
Aaron Irving(NAS 6th)
Dysin Mayo(ARZ 5th)
Brett Pollock(DAL 2nd)

I am not down playing Bob Green what so ever because he made real good GM moves during their dominating seasons too....

Recruited - Henrik Samuelsson(AZ 1st)
Euro draft - Edgars Kulda(AZ 7th)
Traded for - David Musil(OIL 2nd)
Euro draft - Martin Gernat(Oil 5th)

And many many more good trades that filled out the roster. I predict that Randy Hansch will eventually join the Oilers in some capacity in the next couple years and if/when that happens, that will be a real good thing for the Oiler organization

Last edited:

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Sure Green was a good GM for the Oilkings, but a lot of their team while he was in charge was due to drafting unbelievable in the WHL Draft. And I give all that credit to Randy Hansch. He was the one in charge of watching the bantams and recommending those players to Bob(Randy has since taken over GM of Oilkings since Bob left). GM's of WHL teams rarely watch bantam aged players play and its all the Director of player personnel and regional scouts.

I am not down playing Bob Green at all but people just have to remember that GM's of junior teams make the trades and do most of the recruiting of American players and Euros but not much of the bantam draft. If Oilers keep making changes, I can see Bob Green eventually taking over as the GM and him hiring Randy Hansch as his right hand man. If that happens, then I would be extremely excited for the Oilers franchise.

Here are some of the players that Randy Hansch and scouts recommended and ended up drafting as 14 year old bantam aged kids that built the Oil kings into a power house....

Mark Pysyk(Buff 1st)
Michael St. Croix(NYR 4th)
Laurant Broissat(CGY 6th, now in OKC)
Travis Ewanyk(Oils 3rd)
Keegan Lowe(CAR 3rd)
Griffin Reinhart(NYI 1st)
Mitch Moroz(OIL 3rd)
Curtis Lazar(OTT 1st)
Tristan Jarry(PITTS 2nd)
Aaron Irving(NAS 6th)
Dysin Mayo(ARZ 5th)
Brett Pollock(DAL 2nd)

I am not down playing Bob Green what so ever because he made real good GM moves during their dominating seasons too....

Recruited - Henrik Samuelsson(AZ 1st)
Euro draft - Edgars Kulda(AZ 7th)
Traded for - David Musil(OIL 2nd)
Euro draft - Martin Gernat(Oil 5th)

And many many more good trades that filled out the roster. I predict that Randy Hansch will eventually join the Oilers in some capacity in the next couple years and if/when that happens, that will be a real good thing for the Oiler organization

I think everyone wishes Moroz was a 3rd... unfortunately...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
MacT talks about the hiring:

Quote of the video: "Scott Howson is, in my mind, a terrific evaluator of talent"

Yeah, that Nikitin guy is looking real good. Thanks Howson!

In that case please fire yourself and let Howson take over as gm.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Forgive me guys, I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know the whole story here. I heard during the hockey game that Mactavish announced Green's promotion today. What title was he given and what has happened to Macgregor? Was he canned or just demoted?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Forgive me guys, I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know the whole story here. I heard during the hockey game that Mactavish announced Green's promotion today. What title was he given and what has happened to Macgregor? Was he canned or just demoted?

neither. Green is now the director player personne; he will oversee amateur and pro scouting, and i think also player development.

see, that was the problem. they just needed to get another layer. problem solved. so just sit back and be patient.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
neither. Green is now the director player personne; he will oversee amateur and pro scouting, and i think also player development.

see, that was the problem. they just needed to get another layer. problem solved. so just sit back and be patient.

:facepalm:
Nobody is ever to blame for anything that happens in this organization, I guess. Other than Tambellini I mean. These guys have gotten really good over time in insulating each other so that it's impossible for the public to know who exactly oversees what.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

For one example, all of Pitlick, Martindale, and Hamilton should've stayed in the CHL for their 20 year old seasons yet didn't. All needed more time in junior. For a second example, Paajarvi-Svensson and Lander should have both stayed another year in the SEL, and Lander should have started in the AHL. For yet another example, we've had our management interfering in coaching decisions since who knows how long. Renney spoke about how much pressure he was under to play the kids even though he didn't think they were ready.

This isn't on Stu.

teams can only have X amount of 2o year olds on their rosters and teams are very conservative about giving up those spots--so the decision to go to they AHL was not completely up to the oilers--someone can correct my but I think teams can only have 2 or 3 overagers on the roster at any given time

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
:facepalm:
Nobody is ever to blame for anything that happens in this organization, I guess. Other than Tambellini I mean. These guys have gotten really good over time in insulating each other so that it's impossible for the public to know who exactly oversees what.

no doubt. Look at Lowe. the organization and Stauffer would have everyone believe that Lowe has nothing to do with Hockey ops, yet he is President of Hockey Ops. I don't buy it. Like KLowe would sit around and have no input or involvement in the hockey team/teams. BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad