Speculation: Spector - Expects Bob Green to replace MacGregor soon

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
You are correct that most company hire internally. The difference with my company is, there's an interview process AND under performing (or total screw up) managers get canned.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I remember when Stu was a hero around these parts.
Now he's a bum.

In no way am I disagreeing that he's a bum. Just funny.

Even if we do end up scapegoating him I will still wonder if his hands were tied by lowe and friends or katz on some picks. Yak over Murray and taking Musil were a couple standouts. Moroz was an odd pick as well, although there is not much info at the nhl level yet for other people picked in the 2nd round in that draft after him. Might have a different view of Stu if he used that Musil pick more wisely.

freedomisamyth

Nov 10, 2010
You are correct that most company hire internally. The difference with my company is, there's an interview process AND under performing (or total screw up) managers get canned.

This is not reality. In reality most under performing managers never get canned. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be, but most companies are right there with the Oilers on that one.

People seem to think interviewing is the be all end all of hiring people, but frankly for most things it's worthless for actually getting the best candidate. You are far more likely to get a better candidate by hiring someone you already know does good work, or someone who people you trust say is a good hire, and by going by resume/results.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
This is not reality. In reality most under performing managers never get canned. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be, but most companies are right there with the Oilers on that one.

People seem to think interviewing is the be all end all of hiring people, but frankly for most things it's worthless for actually getting the best candidate. You are far more likely to get a better candidate by hiring someone you already know does good work, or someone who people you trust say is a good hire, and by going by resume/results.

Well, every company is different. Mine cans top level management first for underperformance.

It seems once you get promoted from low level manager to upper management you're popping your head out to get chopped.

But you're right, lower level management usually doesn't get fired as they don't have nearly as much impact on a company as middle-high level management does.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Even if we do end up scapegoating him I will still wonder if his hands were tied by lowe and friends or katz on some picks. Yak over Murray and taking Musil were a couple standouts. Moroz was an odd pick as well, although there is not much info at the nhl level yet for other people picked in the 2nd round in that draft after him. Might have a different view of Stu if he used that Musil pick more wisely.

The Moroz pick I think was a case of them really honing in on a particular player type, I think they fully expected to land Samuelsson with that pick and when they failed to get him they went to the next person on their list that filled that role, the issue is they came in with a mandate I believe to add a certain style of player and fully throwing BPA out the window. I would of been happy picking Moroz in the 3rd round, but even at the time I hated selecting him that high in the second round, there was never enough skill there to justify being selected that high.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Moroz pick I think was a case of them really honing in on a particular player type, I think they fully expected to land Samuelsson with that pick and when they failed to get him they went to the next person on their list that filled that role, the issue is they came in with a mandate I believe to add a certain style of player and fully throwing BPA out the window. I would of been happy picking Moroz in the 3rd round, but even at the time I hated selecting him that high in the second round, there was never enough skill there to justify being selected that high.

Agreed, we were chasing after the "Lucic-type" with the Moroz pick. I forgot that MacT was hired as VP of hockey operations before that 2012 draft. He exposed his unhealthy obsession with getting a lucic-type when he was hired as GM. I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved with the Moroz pick in some way. Almost guaranteed he had a hand in getting Kessy right before Tambo was given the boot (doubt Lowe and MacT would have let Tambo tinker with prospects solo right before he was going to be canned).

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Agreed, we were chasing after the "Lucic-type" with the Moroz pick. I forgot that MacT was hired as VP of hockey operations before that 2012 draft. He exposed his unhealthy obsession with getting a lucic-type when he was hired as GM. I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved with the Moroz pick in some way. Almost guaranteed he had a hand in getting Kessy right before Tambo was given the boot (doubt Lowe and MacT would have let Tambo tinker with prospects solo right before he was going to be canned).

Just keeping facts straight but MacT is on record saying he hated the Rieder - Kessy swap.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacT has said that the organization has made a decision to draft regionally. That appears to be WHL/Oilkings and Russia. Perhaps they over-scout the W, and that's why they feel more comfortable with a Musil over a Jenner or Saad; they simply didn't scout the latter two enough.

Have they ever hit a home run drafting someone from the O or the Q (other than Hall).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just keeping facts straight but MacT is on record saying he hated the Rieder - Kessy swap.

Do you have a link about that? Would go a long way to restoring a tiny bit of faith in MacT for me :) I might be failing at google, but couldn't find anything. Just some bits where MacT praised Kessy's development at different points.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Scouts are told by the General Manager what kind of players to target, and so their responsibilities are to find those players in the draft. It's the General Manager is the person who determines what kind of players get drafted and why.

For example, the 2010 Draft had Tambellini asking the scouts to find character players with size because the team was being pushed around too much. The 2013 Draft had MacT emphasise that he wanted skill, skill, skill, and yet the 2014 Draft featured older players who play a "pro-style" game. What the hell, right?

Sometimes a team will go off-board because a scout believes in a player so much that they're willing to put their job on the line. That's why the scout responsible for Troy Hesketh got fired.

I would be surprised if Stu agreed with every decision that's been made on our draft days. I mean, do you really think he wanted the Oilers to draft Cameron Abney, or do you think Tambellini specifically requested a fighter who could skate?

Stu's not blameless, but I think we're losing a valuable asset to the organization if we can him. He's the one who pushed for the likes of Eberle, Marincin, Klefbom, Khaira, Chase and so forth. Bring in Bob Green to improve our amateur scouting, but you have to recognize our big problems are: not having our General Manager prioritize skill and smarts in the draft over size, and having awful pro scouting.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
By the way, he said the best case scenario for Landeskog is as a "second-line player who plays in all key situations for you." If we're understanding lines in terms of production, I don't think he's going to be wrong. You can look at his point production last season and say, "hey! i thin you're wrong!" but I'll just point out that he had the 6th best on-ice shooting percentage of any regular player in the NHL last season and shot 0.27 higher than his career average.

http://oilersnation.com/2011/5/4/fthm-iii-gabriel-landeskog

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
MacT has said that the organization has made a decision to draft regionally. That appears to be WHL/Oilkings and Russia. Perhaps they over-scout the W, and that's why they feel more comfortable with a Musil over a Jenner or Saad; they simply didn't scout the latter two enough.

Have they ever hit a home run drafting someone from the O or the Q (other than Hall).

Tobias Rieder.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Bob Green has been/will be promoted a position that Oversees Player development, according to Bobby Mac

Did we have someone in that role before, or is this a new position they've created? Carrierre and Sillinger's titles are Sr. Director of Player Development and Director of Player Development, respectively, so is he overseeing that department? Or maybe they're amalgamating the position into one.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
By the way, he said the best case scenario for Landeskog is as a "second-line player who plays in all key situations for you." If we're understanding lines in terms of production, I don't think he's going to be wrong. You can look at his point production last season and say, "hey! i thin you're wrong!" but I'll just point out that he had the 6th best on-ice shooting percentage of any regular player in the NHL last season and shot 0.27 higher than his career average.

http://oilersnation.com/2011/5/4/fthm-iii-gabriel-landeskog

I agree. I've never understood the rage over that quote. Landeskog IS a 2nd liner who can play in every situation. And even if you go by his prediction of Landeskog likely ending up a 3rd liner, and not Landeskog's upside, that would hardly be the most wrong a scout has ever been

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I agree. I've never understood the rage over that quote. Landeskog IS a 2nd liner who can play in every situation. And even if you go by his prediction of Landeskog likely ending up a 3rd liner, and not Landeskog's upside, that would hardly be the most wrong a scout has ever been

This little bit of history really surprised me. This quote is daming of Stu

"He's going to be a third-line player who could be a good second-line player.""

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Do you have a link about that? Would go a long way to restoring a tiny bit of faith in MacT for me :) I might be failing at google, but couldn't find anything. Just some bits where MacT praised Kessy's development at different points.

sorry didn't see the response until now. I dont know exactly where it is.. it might be his end of year address or something

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well Stu is probably gone, as McKenzie followed up.

Bob Green will be named Head of All Scouting.

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

We'll know more once EDM makes formal announcement but if I'm understanding it correctly, Bob Green is overseeing all scouting.

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
To my knowledge, no one has been dismissed in EDM. Green has simply been elevated.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There. We got to the bottom of it and made changes. Everything is solved.... Trust us.

Bets on this being the only change, other than perhaps skidding Stu?

I would think Bob Green didn't just scout all the WHL players on his own, I suspect some people he knows will be brought in.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This little bit of history really surprised me. This quote is daming of Stu

"He's going to be a third-line player who could be a good second-line player.""

How is it damning of Stu that he accurately assessed a player? Landeskog is not a first liner

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
at this point anybody is better than Stu, hope he's right.

1. From 2008 to 2011
Stu Macgregor
Had 2 picks 16th or lower in First round.
2008 Eberle
2011 Klefbom

Rounds 2 to 7 under Tambo were awalk about.

Stu Under Mac T.
2013:
Traded Pick #37 for #83; #88; #94; #96; #113
#56 MOR
#83 Yakimov
#88 Slepyshev
#94 Houck
#96 Platzer 1.35PPg OHL
#113 Muir Top 20 points for age NCAA
#128 Campbell 2nd leading scorer U Mass lowell (H East)
#158 Betker
#188 Chase

2014:
#91 Lagesson Sweden WJC
#111 2nd best U20 Save% NCAA #1 Gillies #3 Demko
#153 3rd in USHL Goals and Points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad