News Article: Spec can I talk to you a sec?

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Love this pic, courtesy of @Del Preston

F3CDA0BF-0775-48F7-8505-08489DE47608.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDavid has the second lowest 5vs5 goals against per 60 among all Oilers this year.

Spector is pissed off that the Yzerman moment he preached about happened and did jack shit to help the squad because hockey is a team game with 20 players, a coaching staff and a general manager, not something driven by bullshit narratives about great leaders sacrificing their points for defence or whatever is the popular story. It happened without fulfilling its narrative purpose and in Spectors world of childish stories that means it didn't happen at all.

McD gets a ton of Ozone faceoffs and the best wingers on the team to work with. Not sure also how much Pulju specifically has helped him in the GA department.

The stat is a bit misleading too because in games where for instance an opponent are leading 4-0 they don't need anymore goals, and McD still gets toi.

Would wonder what all players first period specific stat lines look like. those are the meaningful segments of where games get established. We know the Oil suck at that part.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
McD gets a ton of Ozone faceoffs and the best wingers on the team to work with. Not sure also how much Pulju specifically has helped him in the GA department.

The stat is a bit misleading too because in games where for instance an opponent are leading 4-0 they don't need anymore goals, and McD still gets toi.

Would wonder what all players first period specific stat lines look like. those are the meaningful segments of where games get established. We know the Oil suck at that part.
Cherry picking stats to suit a narrative does little to prove a point.

What if the 1st period numbers look great but 2nd look worse? Would you shift to those next?

Reactions: Macheteops

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I have to be stuck on Groundhog Day.....

Spector dusting off his big boy pants after a coach is fired........yawn.

GM coming out saying we have to be harder to play against......yawn.

Advanced stat guys claiming they predicted the future.....yawn.

Wake me up when this cycle is broken.

Okay campers, rise, and shine, and don't forget your booties ‘cause it’s cold out there… it’s cold out there every day......

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Spec really is just an example of the worst type of journalist. He is a perfect use case for the Dunning-Kruger effect as well.

The guy is simply clueless, and always has been. I have no idea why anybody associates with him in any way, or listens to anything he has to say about hockey in general.
It's a shame there are so many living examples of the DK effect tied to the Oilers, past and present.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
So this was posted by a flames fan on the mains.

I ask why it’s thread worthy

a mod proceeds to chew me out and get all into his feelings saying I shouldn’t click the thread if I don’t want to, and posts a link to HFboards anti-whining thread

he then proceeds to close the thread anyways.

wtf? :huh::huh::laugh:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So this was posted by a flames fan on the mains.

I ask why it’s thread worthy

a mod proceeds to chew me out and get all into his feelings saying I shouldn’t click the thread if I don’t want to, and posts a link to HFboards anti-whining thread

he then proceeds to close the thread anyways.

wtf? :huh::huh::laugh:

Flame fans are a special breed of pathetic and dumb.

If the roles were reversed, I would absolutely be making fun of and dunking on the Flames repeatedly. However, I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to make troll threads on the mains like they tend to do with any Oiler related news no matter how irrelevant and you wouldn't really see others around here doing it either.

There are way, way more Oilers fans on this board than Flames fans, but the few Flames fans that are here all do the same pathetic nonsense on the mains in a way that is unrivaled.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I'm not surprised Spector went after the top players knowing that a coaching change was needed.

He was preaching 'stability' a week ago and said the fans were wrong. Fast forward to yesterday, Tippett got fired and Spector eating crow.

The stuff that he writes isn't journalism. It's trolling and click bait material because he knows everyone will eat it up.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Can’t believe so many of these Edmonton reporters still have jobs and make a full time living from it. You can literally find better writers and creators who do it for free/little money on blogs and YouTube.

spector needs to be the first to go

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Flame fans are a special breed of pathetic and dumb.

If the roles were reversed, I would absolutely be making fun of and dunking on the Flames repeatedly. However, I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to make troll threads on the mains like they tend to do with any Oiler related news no matter how irrelevant and you wouldn't really see others around here doing it either.

There are way, way more Oilers fans on this board than Flames fans, but the few Flames fans that are here all do the same pathetic nonsense on the mains in a way that is unrivaled.

The problem with us HFOiler'ers making threads in the Mains, even if only just a hint of trolling but really trying to generate conversation, mods there are thin skinned and would give you an infraction. Just comes with being an Oilers fan around those parts . The hypocrisy there is crazy when you see the amount of troll shit Flames and Nucks fans post about Oilers that never get locked up. Hell, some of the mods even join in which is SMH since they should know better.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
One thing I noticed about Spector is how little info there is on him out there. No bio, just SNet, Team 1260, columns and publications. It's like he's never existed before his stint at the Gateway. I wouldn't be surprised that his name is a pseudonym.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad