News Article: Spec can I talk to you a sec?

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Take it for what it's worth as an outside fan, but the players seem extra surly and unpleasant right now and that's a product of losing. They seem like they have really bad attitudes and it's not the media's job to coddle them. The Jets are in a far worse position than the Oilers, and I don't want the media to go soft on them. My 2 cents.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Take it for what it's worth as an outside fan, but the players seem extra surly and unpleasant right now and that's a product of losing. They seem like they have really bad attitudes and it's not the media's job to coddle them. The Jets are in a far worse position than the Oilers, and I don't want the media to go soft on them. My 2 cents.
The media guys should be taking shots at management and their ineptitude, but clearly it's a lot safer for their job security to take it out on the top players on the team.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
You don't go after the player who literally is the reason the team isn't dead last. They should literally cut his media access immediately for this shit.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Well this is a bullshit hypocrisy Tweet if there ever was one. Kudos for McDavid for handling it behind the scenes??? I would have had no less respect for McDavid had he used his platform to call out Spector in public for his hack reporting. McDavid just has ten times the class that Spector has is all.

f*** mark spector
Imagine being McDavid, or any member of the Oilers for that matter, and having to maintain a professional attitude while dealing with the clown show Edmonton media.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Imagine being McDavid, or any member of the Oilers for that matter, and having to maintain a professional attitude while dealing with the clown show Edmonton media.
Well I obviously have no idea what McDavid said to him but if it was me I’d have calmly said don’t ever expect a quote or conversation with myself, Nurse or Draiasatl ever again. You will get no access to us ever again. Have a nice day bitch!

Reactions: oilers'72

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
So this was posted by a flames fan on the mains.

I ask why it’s thread worthy

a mod proceeds to chew me out and get all into his feelings saying I shouldn’t click the thread if I don’t want to, and posts a link to HFboards anti-whining thread

he then proceeds to close the thread anyways.

wtf? :huh::huh::laugh:

Because some Mods on here are touchy and feel they need to be in authority at times. I had a lengthy discussion about this with the top Admins and they said in the end they let them do what they want and there is almost zero accountability for their actions. Sounds almost like the Oilers Management IMO lol.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I can 100% agree that Spector is one of a few spineless legacy type media people surrounding the organization. For him to willfully ignore the ineptitude of ownership and the people that Katz has put into top tier management is egregious. For him to pen a clickbait hit piece on our young stars in response to the Tipper firing is cowardly and unforgivable.

All of that said... My belief is that if there wasn't a sliver of truth to what he said, none of us would be feeling as angry as we do about the article.

Obviously these 3 players are not the cause of the Oilers trouble. Obviously the blame for the Tipper firing in no way lays at there feet. But in the back of my mind I have occasionally caught myself wishing that Nurse would have played the strong positional option as opposed to joining a rush. I have occasionally seen Drai coasting back through the neutral zone and wished he was skating harder, and I have even once or twice watched Connor float around the top of our zone waiting for a breakout pass instead of backchecking down low.

All of that is obviously not to say that they are what is/was(?) wrong with the Oilers. It just goes to show that a little bit of truth mixed in with some fabricated drama in the hands of a bad actor like Spector does indeed go a long way.

The legacy media seems to believe that in order to maintain relevance they need to jump on the clickbait train. Unfortunately for them, it almost always comes across extremely clunky and often mean spirited.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they were told by the management of their respective media corps to dig around for drama. This is sadly reflective of the fact that negativity seems to drive traffic in our current culture. Social media has algorithms dedicated specifically to steering people towards content that stirs up negative reactions in us. We, as a society are becoming addicted to it.

The way to push back against this is not to engage and respond to meat heads like Spector. The only correct response to him is silence. It's not clicking on any article that has his name or picture at the top of it. It's making a conscious decision and a focused effort as a "customer" to seek out the articles that come from level headed journalists.

Every single enraged response, comment, click, and eyeball only feeds the machine. You boycott them by ignoring them into obsolescence.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Honestly who gives a crap what reporters like Spector, Matheson have to say.

The less we read their articles or watch any of their interviews, the less their viewership becomes and the faster they will be out of a job

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I find it funny how offended our fanbase gets over any criticism leveled by other fanbases or talking heads but it's totally okay to trash our own players, relying on our own biases & incomplete information.

It's also apparently acceptable here to insinuate & question a player or coaches sexuality because you would rather see somebody else on the PP or you just don't agree with ice time allocation but, god forbid, if a sportswriter says something that doesn't fit with the narrative & agenda I want pushed, outrage ensues.

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
I find it funny how offended our fanbase gets over any criticism leveled by other fanbases or talking heads but it's totally okay to trash our own players, relying on our own biases & incomplete information.

It's also apparently acceptable here to insinuate & question a player or coaches sexuality because you would rather see somebody else on the PP or you just don't agree with ice time allocation but, god forbid, if a sportswriter says something that doesn't fit with the narrative & agenda I want pushed, outrage ensues.

I shake my head at an awful lot of the stuff that an awful lot of us have to say here, but the difference is that those are the opinions of relatively anonymous posters on a niche internet forum, not the published opinions of an accredited, professional sports journalist writing for mass consumption. The two are hardly comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad