Speak Up: Who out there still believes this team can win a Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This year is more about other teams "losing" rather than the Penguins "winning".

There's no other way. We don't have the roster, coaching, leadership, or system to win this year.

Everything is also 100% contingent on Fleury not ******** the bed.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
This year is more about other teams "losing" rather than the Penguins "winning".

There's no other way. We don't have the roster, coaching, leadership, or system to win this year.

Well, that didn't depress me at all.

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Yea we have a shot. Worse teams than us have won it.

Need to get healthy though (for starters).

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
1) Too many guys coming back from injury likely to create awkward chemistry problems at the wrong time, though admittedly still better than not having key guys like Martin and Malkin.

2) Boston Bruins

3) You know who

So feeling like I'm not going to be too emotionally invested, because I am expecting a loss in the second round.

BUT

If Fleury pulls a reverse Fleury and is absolutely lights out somehow, he can give a team with a lot of assets just enough time to click and put forward something special despite typically clueless coaching. There's always hope ... to me the Pens are definite underdogs, and should adopt the appropriate psychology.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

We have the roster if everyone is healthy. Our d is pretty sick with a healthy Martin and Letang, and our top 9 is great with a healthy Malkin and Bennett.

Trouble is Letang is a huge if, Malkin can't seem to stay healthy, Martin might be rusty...etc.

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
We have the roster if everyone is healthy. Our d is pretty sick with a healthy Martin and Letang, and our top 9 is great with a healthy Malkin and Bennett.

Trouble is Letang is a huge if, Malkin can't seem to stay healthy, Martin might be rusty...etc.

+ Goc as well.

We have a great lineup if healthy. Just a huge if and the rustiness/not playing together factor is a legit concern as well.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Gladams is the only big negative on our roster when healthy. Bylsma and Boston are what's stopping us. Even if we were completely healthy Boston would be favourite.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Let's not kid ourselves: Chicago dominated us that game in puck possesion and scoring chances, and did it without Kane and Towes for half the game. MAF standing on his head is the reason we won on the scoreboard... And I don't think anyone is confidant he can do that in the post season. Bruins and the Flyers are a lot more offensively gifted than Chicago (minus Towes and Kane) and we will run into at least one of them, if not both.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
We don't have the roster

I disagree with you here. IF you mean that we don't have the roster due to injuries, or don't have the roster GIVEN that Disco will NOT ICE the right roster, then I agree with you. BUT, when healthy, this roster actually has the potential to be as good as any in the playoff field IMO. Offensively, a little weaker on the bottom 6 than the elite few teams, but better in the top 6 than anyone, IMO. Defensively, I think the elites from the west would play stronger defending in the D-zone, but our defense IMO has the ability to be better than most as puck-movers, and on the PP. Let's say the team were to ice...

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Goc-Sutter
Gibbons-Vitale-Megna

Martin-Letang
Niskanen-Maatta
Despres-Bortuzzo

...as just one example. On D, Orpik or Scuds could be mixed in, for Bortuzzo, but not both in the same game, and ESPECIALLY NOT both on the ice at the same time, EVER. Engo, also. Same thing with Glass and Adams on O...perhaps they fill in occasionally, but not both in the same game, and ESPECIALLY NOT both on the ice at the same time, EVER. I'd even consider using a Harry Z/Sill/Connor as a fill-in for injury or whatever, just as easily/frequently as I would be pencilling in Glass or Adams.

That third line, would be probably AT LEAST equally capable offensively as most other third lines on truly playoff-caliber teams, and very defensively capable as well -- probably top 5 in both categories, when compared to other third lines. That fourth line, while not overly physical -- certainly not a punishing type of line, would have to be the fastest line in the playoffs, and as such, one of the most disruptive (and also one that WOULD have decent o-zone possession time, and enough offensive ability to chip in at times on the score sheet).

Again, though, this is of course NEVER going to happen, as long as DB is the coach. So, effectively, your statement I quoted is in fact correct (due to the coaching).

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Let's not kid ourselves: Chicago dominated us that game in puck possesion and scoring chances, and did it without Kane and Towes for half the game.
I guess, Letang, Martin, Malkin, Goc could also help our puck possession, or not? The Hawks weren´t the only team missing key players out there. And yeah, we were dominating them until Toews got hurt, then the Hawks really responded well.

We need to play with passion (I finally saw a little bit of that in our last games) and get completely healthy. Then it could be interesting.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Why pens won't and cant' win the cup, playing over the hill duds.

On Chi's only goal, I f only Orp's would have hit Shaw like he hit Toews, Fleury would have seen the puck and made the save. The first rule of a shut down D is clear the front of the net. He did not do it. This will happen time in and time again. Also Scud the dud does not know what clearing the front of the net means. With the stellar defensive play of Adams and Glass, these four great players in the eyes of Pens management (DB and RS):handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap: will bring the cup back to PGH:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mgd525

May 18, 2007
For some reason everyone has this team figured out put the people in charge of it. It's no shock why we win in the regular season with our stars. The penguins get by on teams not game planning a lot and talent.

The reasons why this team is awful in the playoffs is because as a whole this team has no coaching, lazy,no puck possession and no heart. How did I almost forget Flower who is as terrible as you can get in the playoffs minus 2 post seasons in at this point long career.

The problems run deep right from the very top on down. It's a damned shame too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad