Speak Up: Who out there still believes this team can win a Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Let's go with current matchups, IMO here's what happens:

Boston beats out Detroit
Tampa beats out Montreal in a tight one
Rangers beat out Philly
We beat CBJ

Now I'm not sure how the second round works, so if anyone could clarify for me it'd be great.

Out of the 3 teams left, I'm only concerned bout Boston, however with Seidenberg out, it's gonna take a toll on their d-men

The new format, for those wondering. Looks like in your scenario, we'd face the Rangers for the Metro Division title and should we win there, face the winner of Boston/Tampa in the ECF.

2014-nhl-bracket.png

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I want to believe that they can win the cup, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. There are too many holes, and the system they employ doesn't exactly cover them up.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto
The new format, for those wondering. Looks like in your scenario, we'd face the Rangers for the Metro Division title and should we win there, face the winner of Boston/Tampa in the ECF.

2014-nhl-bracket.png

Well that depends on luck, then.

If we pull the Rangers, and Boston somehow gets beaten by Tampa... then we could potentially go on to lose in the SCF.

That's a lot of ifs, and there's no way we're beating the Western Champion.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
This might happen next year, but not this year. It is just too late for any drastic change.

Bench Orpik/Adams/etc.. Play Despres/Bort/Sill/Scrabbles. It's not perfect, but it's a damn good start. We haven't played our 20 best players all season.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Well that depends on luck, then.

If we pull the Rangers, and Boston somehow gets beaten by Tampa... then we could potentially go on to lose in the SCF.

That's a lot of ifs, and there's no way we're beating the Western Champion.
The Pens, for some reason, in the last few years have been notoriously good against the West.

Plus, I doubt there would be the lack of heart we are seeing now in the SCF.

That said, I think, with the exception of Philly, all the current teams that we would face in the first two rounds would be an easy-advance for the Pens.

I mean come on...Columbus? I would have to boycott the team if we lost to them, and we would walk through the Rangers. Philly would be a tough matchup, but I think we could take them in 7 games.

Boston is our Kryptonite, but who knows...they almost got beat by Toronto last year....could happen this year with someone else...

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
With the standings as they are right now, there's plenty to worry about just to get to the finals. Those bottom seeds aren't set, so we're still looking at potential round one match ups with Detroit or Toronto, both of whom always seem to give us fits. Hell, if Columbus gets hot and Philly falters, we could draw them in round one... yikes. Best case as it stands today is NYR beating or at least wearing out Philly in 7 games, and Detroit/Montreal/Toronto upsetting Boston, otherwise I don't see how we get past either in a 7 game series.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's how the Pens could win the Cup:
1) They actually get healthy in time for the playoffs.
2) First round sees the Pens cleanly beat the Blue Jackets in the first round without any injuries, and the Rangers take the series against the Flyers, but take an injury toll in doing so.
3) Second round sees the Pens take the series against a beat-up Rangers team, again without any new injuries. In the Atlantic, the Lightning do to the Bruins what the Leafs almost did to them last year... but the Bruins take their toll on the Lightning in the process.
4) Conference final sees the Pens advance past the beat-up Lightning... somehow without any new injuries to the Pens.
5) Whichever team comes out of the gauntlet that will be the Western Conference playoffs will emerge rather beaten and battered. The Pens manage to survive simply by being the healthier team (somehow).

In other words, I don't put the chances very high right now, but it's still possible.

CrozJawz*

I wouldn't be to cocky about who you THINK that the Pens can "easily" beat.

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Isles last year and almost **** the bed.

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Habs in 2010 and **** the bed.

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Lightning in 2011, despite Sid and Geno being down, and they **** the bed after being up 3-0.

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Flyers in 2012 and **** the bed in one of the most disgusting and horrific performances in a playoff series in the history of the Pens.

Anyone saying that the Pens will "easily" beat Columbus or Washington or the Rangers need to check themselves. This team has proven time and time again that they CAN and WILL be beaten by ANYONE in the league and any given time.

No matter who they play in the first round, there is a good chance that they bomb with the way this team is playing...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

2014-nhl-bracket.png

So under the new format, the wildcard teams are the 7th and 8th seed, regardless of whether they have more points than the 2/3 teams in a division?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Isles last year and almost **** the bed.

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Lightning in 2011, despite Sid and Geno being down, and they **** the bed after being up 3-0.

They were supposed to "easily" beat the Flyers in 2012 and **** the bed in one of the most disgusting and horrific performances in a playoff series in the history of the Pens.

Anyone saying that the Pens will "easily" beat Columbus or Washington or the Rangers need to check themselves. This team has proven time and time again that they CAN and WILL be beaten by ANYONE in the league and any given time.

No matter who they play in the first round, there is a good chance that they bomb with the way this team is playing...

The Pens were not up 3-0 over the Lightning. The Lightning took game 2 with a score of 5-1. If it wasn't for a power play goal in the second overtime of game 4, the Lightning could very well have won that game and tied up the series 2-2.

The Pens being up 3-1 in that series made things look better for the Pens than they really were.

I also don't think the Pens "easily" beat the Blue Jackets, but that is one team the Pens seem to matchup against well. I also was giving just about the most optimistic possible situation for the Pens. As I said, I didn't find it very likely.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm already glad that they couldn't possibly do worse against the Flyers or Bruins. Of course, they could merely be the same. Which is kind of worse.

I'm genuinely curious about what pleasant surprises or new horrors await us. I pretty much expect the same result as last year, except no series would be as easy as Ottawa.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012

Yea, it was a 3-1 lead blown against Tampa, but otherwise you are spot on. Instead of being able to beat any team on any given day we have found a way to lose to any team on any given day.

I think the fact we've only beaten two , maybe three decent teams since Jan 1st should concern people. While, yes, we will get to play a team like Columbus in the first round we are gonna have to beat a good team along the way before we even get to the ECF. If we mangage to win that THEN, Chicago, Anaheim, St. Louis, Colorado or even San Jose awaits (shudders).

Recently Bylsma has said he likes not being the favorite, well, Danny, you got your wish. I'd say we are nowhere near being the favorites so congrats on that, I guess.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

You forgot to add to the list the Boston series last year when the PENS scored a grand total of 2, that's right folk, 2 goals in 4 games. Let me repeat that, the PENS scored 2 goals in 4 games against the big bad Bruins. :help::shakehead:(:rant::pout::dunce::banghead::loony::headache::GWC::tmi::booboo::baghead:

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I do think The Pens are capable of winning The Cup if these things happen:

1. Malkin, Martin, Letang, Vokoun, Vitale, and Goc are healthy (as well as those players who are currently healthy).
2. Adams, Glass, and Pyatt are below all other forwards on the depth chart including Vitale, Megna, Gibbons, England, Sill and Harry Z.
3. Orpik and Scudari are below Martin, Letang, Maata, Despres, Bortuzzo, and Niskanen on the depth chart.
4. Fleury is on a short leash.
5. Bylsma actually adjusts our game when needed.

This team has enough elite talent and speed to give any other team a run for The Cup if DB makes the best use of these qualities. Of course wondering if he is capable of doing that is another question entirely.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I do think The Pens are capable of winning The Cup if these things happen:

1. Malkin, Martin, Letang, Vokoun, Vitale, and Goc are healthy (as well as those players who are currently healthy).
2. Adams, Glass, and Pyatt are below all other forwards on the depth chart including Vitale, Megna, Gibbons, England, Sill and Harry Z.
3. Orpik and Scudari are below Martin, Letang, Maata, Despres, Bortuzzo, and Niskanen on the depth chart.
4. Fleury is on a short leash.
5. Bylsma actually adjusts our game when needed.

This team has enough elite talent and speed to give any other team a run for The Cup if DB makes the best use of these qualities. Of course wondering if he is capable of doing that is another question entirely.
1. Forget about Letang.
2. Pray that happens. Speed kills. This is the only way if the Pens have chance.
3. Agreed. Probably won't happen. Letang won't play And you know Despres sits when Martin comes back.
4. If the Pens fail in the playoffs, it won't be Fleury's fault. Its the fault of whoever lets losers like Scuds, Orps, Adamd and Glass play.
5. Well that won't happen.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
1. Forget about Letang.
2. Pray that happens. Speed kills. This is the only way if the Pens have chance.
3. Agreed. Probably won't happen. Letang won't play And you know Despres sits when Martin comes back.
4. If the Pens fail in the playoffs, it won't be Fleury's fault. Its the fault of whoever lets losers like Scuds, Orps, Adamd and Glass play.
5. Well that won't happen.

Realism is depressing...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad