Rumor: Sparks On The Block

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It wasn't an error to strongly consider replacing your perfectly sound NHL backup with your decade younger AHL starter. The error came when the AHL backup did not show up and snatch the opportunity based on his preseason performance yet you handed him the job anyways. It was a learning moment for the GM that didn't cost the team dearly. The sign that Dubas has learned something won't be that Sparks is replaced, of course he'll be replaced, it'll be whether Dubas continues the pointless hoard of Justin Holl who isn't NHL material either (or at least the coach seems to think so).

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The contract extension was unexpected at the time, but looks really strange now.

From signing that extension, to being completely banished from the team and now on the trade block?

What an unusual 12 months for Sparks

You would have to think there are some serious character issues in play here with Sparks.That is certainly what I would think from the outside looking in and watching this unfold.

Lots of goalies struggle with confidence and it shows in their play, but almost never is anyone banished from their own team and told to stay away completely until you have your act together.

After all that, you announce he is on the trade block, suggesting you don't want him back on the team any longer.

Can't imagine Dubas phone is ringing off the hook with interest, with that wringing endorsement.

Simply place him on waivers and see if any bites, if not no need to man the phones in hopes of a trade.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Camp is where you win your roster spot. Sparks was thoroughly outplayed by mcbackup. Now sure, he was the best statistical goalie in the A. That warrants a bit of leeway in his camp performance. So you go back to his non-preason play. He was trash in the tank year except for a few games where he looked great. There was a small chance Sparks finds his game but the large body of work suggested he didn’t have it at the NHL level.

Dubas took a gamble based on things not including preaseason play. I don’t blame him for it. But he lost the wager. If he makes all his decision based on AHL play, I’ll be extremely worried.

Preseason stats mean little but going off of them Pickard was 2-0 with 1 goal against. He wins the backup role based off this.
McBackup had a horrible 2nd preseason game as did the whole team.
Sparks was horrible in both of his appearances and during an interview expressed that this was his first summer he has taken off playing goal. Played forward in a summer league...brilliant. 5.81 GAA and .750 save%

And Marleau was the teams leading point getter.

Reactions: Leaf4Life79

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We will be lucky to have the NHL minimum AAV for a backup goalie after our defense is fixed and we unload our 2 problems. and that assumes we can unload Sparks. I can't see it all occurring.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We will be lucky to have the NHL minimum AAV for a backup goalie after our defense is fixed and we unload our 2 problems. and that assumes we can unload Sparks. I can't see it all occurring.

I think this season teams have learned (Boston in particular) that load management from your starting goalie is paramount to a long playoff run by not overusing/tasking them in the regular season.

If Andersen is getting 55-60 games or so then you need a competent backup that can handle about 25 games.

Sparks is clearly not that guy and an experienced vet making < $ 1 mil (due to Leafs cap situation) would be the goal here.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think this season teams have learned (Boston in particular) that load management from your starting goalie is paramount to a long playoff run by not overusing/tasking them in the regular season.

If Andersen is getting 55-60 games or so then you need a competent backup that can handle about 25 games.

Sparks is clearly not that guy and an experienced vet making < $ 1 mil (due to Leafs cap situation) would be the goal here.
Agreed but highly unlikely we get a solid vet for 1M. and then trading away Sparks as part of deal making 750K is also required. There is no room for 1.75M in AAV for a backup. My point is it is all very unlikely. Too many deals after managing Marner, Kappy, AJ, Marleau and Z which will require 2 or 3 deals also.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agreed but highly unlikely we get a solid vet for 1M. and then trading away Sparks as part of deal making 750K is also required. There is no room for 1.75M in AAV for a backup. My point is it is all very unlikely. Too many deals after managing Marner, Kappy, AJ, Marleau and Z which will require 2 or 3 deals also.

Sparks in all likelihood is ending up as Marlies starter next year as you wouldn't keep him with the NHL team as a 3rd goalie. IMO

If you don't want him blocking the development progress of your younger goalies in the AHL then the best course of action might be find another AHL team to place Sparks with after he has cleared waivers next season.

We all know Leafs had the perfect backup goalie in McElhinney making $850k and now it has come to this.

I think if I were in Dubas shoes I think I might try and sign Keith Kinkaid as a UFA <=$1 mil and try and find another AHL team to loan Sparks to for next year, and focus on the internal development of Joseph Woll & Ian Scott with the Marlies competing for a roster spot with Kasimir Kaskisuo.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sparks in all likelihood is ending up as Marlies starter next year as you wouldn't keep him with the NHL team as a 3rd goalie. IMO

If you don't want him blocking the development progress of your younger goalies in the AHL then the best course of action might be find another AHL team to place Sparks with after he has cleared waivers next season.

We all know Leafs had the perfect backup goalie in McElhinney making $850k and now it has come to this.

I think if I were in Dubas shoes I think I might try and sign Keith Kinkaid as a UFA <=$1 mil and try and find another AHL team to loan Sparks to for next year, and focus on the internal development of Joseph Woll & Ian Scott with the Marlies competing for a roster spot with Kasimir Kaskisuo.
or even buyout most of Sparks NHL CAP hit next season if they can't trade him. it is only money. the real issue is the AAV.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Leafs won't play Andersen less than 65 games. Leafs only had 4 points more than Montreal and Leafs roster will be worse than last years. Playing backup 25 games is a total non start in this situation.

You guys don't wanna hear this, but Leafs probably won't make to playoffs in next season. Thanks to Dubler Dubas.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
or even buyout most of Sparks NHL CAP hit next season if they can't trade him. it is only money. the real issue is the AAV.

That does create more dead cap space.

Also
Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

So if that was happening it would be happening soon, but I don't believe that is their first choice.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Leafs won't play Andersen less than 65 games. Leafs only had 4 points more than Montreal and Leafs roster will be worse than last years. Playing backup 25 games is a total non start in this situation.

You guys don't wanna hear this, but Leafs probably won't make to playoffs in next season. Thanks to Dubler Dubas.

Looking that way right now but you never know if he will pull a rabbit out of a hat. He should at least fire all pro scouts that advised him to keep Sparks over McElhinney.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Unless they change the makeup of the team especially on defense expect the same results next season. An amazing start where we basically make the playoffs by XMas and then fade down the stretch when time and space are reduced.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Okay, so who is a goalie that Babcock would trust to play more? What does that cost in trade assets, and/or salary?

Even if we give Babcock a Halak type Babcock, will he play them anymore if we brought back Hutch for 800K?

That's what Dubas needs to decide.
Babcock doesn't like small goalies, I doubt he would like having Halak as a backup either.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Unless they change the makeup of the team especially on defense expect the same results next season. An amazing start where we basically make the playoffs by XMas and then fade down the stretch when time and space are reduced.

Fade down the stretch When time and space is eliminated
OR
When the team has settled into a playoff spot and their opponent is already decided and there is nothing to play for?

Reactions: kb

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It wasn't an error to strongly consider replacing your perfectly sound NHL backup with your decade younger AHL starter. The error came when the AHL backup did not show up and snatch the opportunity based on his preseason performance yet you handed him the job anyways. It was a learning moment for the GM that didn't cost the team dearly. The sign that Dubas has learned something won't be that Sparks is replaced, of course he'll be replaced, it'll be whether Dubas continues the pointless hoard of Justin Holl who isn't NHL material either (or at least the coach seems to think so).

Johnsson had a terrible camp as well. Do you think he should have made the team? What's the difference other than hindsight?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

It was an error Sparks was horrid in preseason, there was nothing in training camp that suggested that he was a legit back up, McGoalie on the other hand has had years of experience that shows us he was the right man for the job.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Johnsson had a terrible camp as well. Do you think he should have made the team? What's the difference other than hindsight?

The difference is you can bench AJ indefinitely and have 3 to 6 other guys take his ice time, you cant bench Sparks indefinitely with out it affecting Andersen. You can play AJ 6 to 8 min a night till he gets his legs, you can't play Sparks 8 minutes a night until he gets his legs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How is this AHL superstar still on the block, why has no one offered us the moon and stars by now? 30 other GM's clearly see something our GM does not see... ;)

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

That does create more dead cap space.

Also
Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.

So if that was happening it would be happening soon, but I don't believe that is their first choice.
Why would we buy him out. His cap hit will nit count against our cap. He is under the amount allowed to go play in the minors we can send him to the ECHL or lend him to another AHL team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad