Tavares - Marner

Rielly
Muzzin

Andersen

Now add a speedy, gritty team.

Reactions: noway

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I don't even think he screwed up honestly. Giving Sparks a chance was the right call. Things don't always work out. Time to move on.
Yep, there’d be far worse noise about it if we traded Sparks to like Phoenix for a 1B and McBackup left in this offseason

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'll never buy the "gamble" or "bet" stuff to rationalize when you had a known quantity in net. Why gamble when you didn't have to? Is there anyone here who actually though Sparkles amounted to anything more than McBackup at best? Backup goalie is a tough gig, when you have a workhorse starter, Leafs finally found one and instead some misplaced loyalty ends up putting risk where none existed. Why bet in the first place? It only blew up in our faces because it really was a self inflicted wound.

Wasn't one bit surprised it turned out that way, whatever plan we had should have been revised when Sparks shit the bed in training camp. Goaltending is mostly mental, Sparks never had the temperament, no matter. It was error then, an error now, and Dubas is cutting bait, which bodes well.

The "bet" was self created. If it ain't broke....particularly when the alternative is what you had at best anyways, at worst, well.

I doubt we get anything for him, all the talk I heard around the league is this guy is fundamentally flawed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is kinda meh. I don't care for Sparks but we can't afford to spend much of anything on our backup so don't expect much of anything better for the 800k the replacement costs.

As far as the decision to keep him over the other 2. Pickard turned out to be worse, and McBackup is UFA and will cost too much to be our backup. Andersen didn't get hurt in the playoffs so having him around wouldn't have changed the outcome. Right choice or wrong choice it didn't change anything.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad